PDA

View Full Version : Vacation sleeping arrangements

cmorgen
03-26-2007, 12:32 PM
So... what do you do when you kid is getting too big to be in a P&P comfortably, but is still sleeping in a crib at home?
We are going on vacation in a couple weeks... and DD is just too big to sleep in a P&P for 7 nights... but she is still sleeping in her crib at home, so I don't think she is ready to sleep in a regular bed? What to do??

sarahbrown29
03-26-2007, 07:25 PM
You might try this ...
http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=6720&cmSource=Search

or this ...
http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=6640&cmSource=Search

I suppose it makes a difference if your DD will actually stay on the bed. I know mine would not. She did okay on vacation last summer even though the P&P seemed small for her at 14 months. We added a mattress (I know, it says you SHOULD NOT!) of a cut-down twin egg-crate mattress I got at Wal-Mart for $10. Put a P&P sheet over it and it seemed to help.

TereasaT
03-27-2007, 08:11 PM
My DS is 2.5 yo, and he still sleeps in the P&P if we bring it. There have been times when we didn't bring it, and he just slept with me in a queen bed while my DH slept with DS1 in the other.

cmorgen
03-27-2007, 09:08 PM
I have thought about the matts from One Step Ahead, I may get one and try to get it used to it before we leave.
The problem with the P&P is that it is 39.9" long and she is 37 1/2" long... that doesn't leave much room! And she can easily tip it over if she stands up and tries to crawl out.

We may end up with her sleeping with us. Which is definitely NOT ideal!

DAKnits
03-27-2007, 10:10 PM
Honestly, I rented a crib that was delivered and set up for me. My daughter is also too big for a P&P, and she only sleeps in a crib, she has NEVER slep in any bed, including ours. She would NOT stay in the OSA options. There are some really nice companies to rent equipment from -- the place I rented from while staying on Long Island, NY was SUPERB. That crib was sanitized and wrapped in clear wrap -- it was cleaner than her crib at home! I brought a set of sheets and her blanket and toys, and that was it. No issues. It was a huge relief. And I think it was $60 for the whole week!

betsydenny
04-02-2007, 11:46 AM
Both my kids learned to sleep diagonally in the pnp before I finally let them outgrow it! I also got a pnp "crib" tent as that is what they are used to on their regular cribs. The pnp tent isnt cheap but it was worth every penny when we were on vacation and everyone slept normally.

I also got the add on mattress for our pnp because my kids spent much of the summer sleeping in them. It was only about 1.5 inches deep so didn't aid them in getting out and made it MUCH more comfortable and less noisy to sleep on.

Good luck. It is a hard stage and I worked hard to keep them as trapped as possible to ensure good sleep.

HTH!
Betsy

Radosti
04-06-2007, 09:43 AM
My DS sleeps on a cot at daycare very well. He likes it a whole lot and will sleep up to 3 hours in it (daytime nap). So, I was looking at the My Cot option to use at my parents' house and on vacations. I found it at walmart cheaper:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4433186
I'm just worried that it's made cheaper specifically for Walmart

gatorsmom
04-06-2007, 09:55 PM
We bought DS one of those inflatable beds with Thomas the Tank Engine on it and it was a "treat" for him to sleep on it at grammy's house and on vacations. On vacations where the hotel room is too small, however, DH and I have just accepted that we get a double room and he sleeps with DS#1 and I sleep with DS#2. Not ideal, but at least we sleep through out the night.

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

cmorgen
04-07-2007, 11:52 AM
>We bought DS one of those inflatable beds with Thomas the
>Tank Engine on it and it was a "treat" for him to sleep on it
>at grammy's house and on vacations. On vacations where the
>hotel room is too small, however, DH and I have just accepted
>that we get a double room and he sleeps with DS#1 and I sleep
>with DS#2. Not ideal, but at least we sleep through out the
>night.
>
>Lisa
>Mom to Gator July 2003
>And Cha-Cha July 2005

That's what we have done... we bought a "princess" one and have made it a HUGE deal that she gets to sleep on a PRINCESS bed! I am praying that does the trick! We are having her sleep on it for naps here, so hopefully she will accept sleeping on it during our trip. I thought about renting a crib, but we are going to 2 different family member's houses in 2 cities not very close together, so it would be impossible to move from house to house. It seems like this is our best solution at this point, knowing that in all likelyhood she will end up in our bed at some point during the night!

becca34
04-14-2007, 10:48 AM
We bought the inflatable bed from One Step Ahead, and it worked okay until it got a leak in it that we couldn't find.

After that, we took two regular sleeping bags (better and thicker than kid ones, but not super-duper camping ones, either), stacked them, and put a fitted twin sheet around them. This was soft and comfortable enough for my daughter to sleep on, starting around 2 years old...(although, we did move her to a bed at 2, so maybe that helped).

To carry them, we used DH's old golf club travel bag, which is just like a huge duffel -- we were able to stuff things in around the sleepings bags, too.

Incidentally, BRU sells a PNP mattress now, that's thicker than the standard cardboard-like one that comes with it. It's where the contoured changing pads are in the store....