PDA

View Full Version : BIG Backpack for Disney

Maria K
03-26-2007, 10:02 PM
OK I'm at my wits end. I need a big diaper bag... backpack... the a trip to Disney with DS who will be 16 months at the time. I don't want to spend a lot since I don't anticipate using it after this trip. We'll need to carry maps, diapers, sippys, water bottles, camera, video camera, walkie talkie, snacks and all the other stuff we'll need to keep cool in Florida in July. I guess I'm a big packer anyway... I use a I'm Still Me Backpack and fill it for everyday running around (3 bottles, formula, cheerios, wallet, burp cloths, diapers, wipes...).
I've looked at Baby Innovations backpack... worry about the space inside and is it heavy?
LeSportSac... the patterns are a bit much for me and don't like the lack of organization inside... at least from what I can tell on their website it looks like a big empty space.
Help?!
- Maria K

MNmomtobe
03-26-2007, 10:18 PM
How much (or how little) are you looking to spend?

Have you looked at the Silver Line Convertible diaper bag? It is large from the pics I've seen and it comes with a ton of accessories that would be great for using on vacation. However I think it runs about $100.

Here is one that I found on ebags that looked interesting. It is nicely priced at $58.49. Seems to have great organization. It is the Okkatots backpack diaper bag.
http://www.ebags.com/products/index.cfm?modelID=47270&Subcategory_Link=Details_Okkatots_47270

I just bought some of the okkatots accessories which were quite cheap on the Okkatots website. I am hoping the wipes dispenser will be perfect for what I am looking for as my hard wipes case is bulky and adds weight to my diaper bag. I also bought their laundry bag since it looks so lightweight and would take almost no room in my diaper bag.

A lot of people seem to like the Baby Sherpa too.

HTH and good luck! :)

bubbaray
03-26-2007, 10:55 PM
LE Diaper Bag Backpack It rocks for travel!

http://www.landsend.com/pp/BackpackDiaperBag-53322_120488_-1.html?CM_MERCH=PAGE_53320&sid=8705167714119123050

I've reviewed it here.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

DAKnits
03-27-2007, 12:01 AM
Another vote for the Lands End Triple compartment backpack -- it's my travel bag, and I'm a huge overpacker. I carry the Posh Baby Ultimate as my every day bag for ONE toddler. Great price, the most comfy straps I've tried, great organization, fits more than any of the others -- I have the Silverline Convertible and the Lands End fits a lot more.

Maria K
03-27-2007, 12:10 AM
Both the LE & the Okkatots look like good solutions. On the Okkatots, does the change pad come out or is it perm. attached? I wonder where I can see these IRL...
Anyone familiar with both of these that can tell me how they compare to each other?
- Maria

heatherlynn
03-27-2007, 05:10 AM
I have lots of designer diaper bags, but I do like my $6.25 clearance backpack that I found at Target. It's very similar to the LE triple compartment backpack. I do like the JJB Packabe, but it's heavy. Anyway, just wanted to give you another option.

Good luck!

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
dd 11/05

bailey2bradenc
03-27-2007, 08:35 AM
Hello,

I have a One Step Ahead Urban Backpack for sale if you like those.

They are super organized and comfy on your back- padded straps- also made big enough for Daddys.

Let me know if you are interested.

[email protected] is my address.

Thanks,
bRenda

Sangiovese
03-29-2007, 08:17 PM
Another vote for LE backpack. We used it on the plane and at Disney, and it was great. We just hung it on the stroller (umbrella). I haven't used it since, but I could definitely see using it on vacations/airplane after the baby stage. I don't regret buying it, and it was a great price.

I wouldn't leave valuables on the stroller, just supplies (food, water, diapers, etc.). At all of the parks, you have to park your stroller to go to attractions and restaurants.

For your valuables (cameras, cell phones, etc.), I would carry a separate bag that stayed on your body. I used the Overland Equipment Placer, but it sounds like you might need a bigger bag (no video camera here!). They have an Overland Equipment Donner that is similar and has water bottle pockets. Both bags have a top zipper (difficult to tell from pics) that hold a ton of stuff. The Placer is small, and I was still surprised at how much stuff it holds. Both bags also have a pocket in the back (I was able to fold park maps in half and slide them into the back pocket of the Placer).

Donner
http://www.ebags.com/products/index.cfm?modelID=19375&Subcategory_Link=Details_Overland%20Equipment_1937 5

Placer
http://www.ebags.com/products/index.cfm?modelID=19677&Subcategory_Link=Details_Overland%20Equipment_1967 7

Ebags has coupons everywhere (free shipping, discounts, etc.), and they take Paypal.

Other OE bags...
http://www.overlandequipment.com/

I can't compare the bags, but if you have questions about the LE backpack, please ask. LE also has a chat feature which is great. The employees with which I have chatted was very helpful and descriptive with the questions that I had. You can always return LE at Sears if you don't like it.

If you really don't think that you will use the backpack again, I would look at Target. You could always buy those disposable changing pads. (Btw, disposable bibs and sippy cups were great at Disney. We just threw away the sippy cups if there was milk in them and we were at a park or restaurant. If we were in the hotel room or the sippy cup only had water, I washed and reused them. DD went through 10 in 8 days.) We always used a backpack on vacations and sometimes to baseball games even before kids, and the one that we had been using needed to be replaced anyway!

Maria K
03-31-2007, 10:27 AM
I ordered the LE backpack... should be here Tuesday and I CAN'T WAIT!
- Maria

Marriedladytara
03-31-2007, 01:35 PM
You really won't regret it - it's our favorite bag!!!