PDA

View Full Version : Best diaper bag for a very long air travel...Suggestions..?

natasha_n
04-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Hello -

This board has been a great source of information since before my DD was born.

Now I really need your advice and suggestions!

My DD is 10.5 months old and so far I have managed to survive without a diaper bag - everything she might need fits in my purse.
However, we will have to take a VERY LONG flight in a little over a month (DD is going to be 12 months). It is a 12.5 hour flight + 8 hours layover + 5 hour flight. Needless to say, I will have to carry a lot with me and be very organized.
Thus, I have been researching different diaper bag options in the last few weeks.
Unfortunately, I don't have an opportunity to see most of them IRL, so I have to rely on pictures, reviews and such.
Here are my requirements:
a) It has to be well organized - many pockets, compartments, etc.
b) Medium to large size (probably on the bigger side considering the length of travel)
c) Easy to keep clean
d) Have to be able to attach it to our Zippy

So far, I am considering Skip Hop Dash, Fleurville Mothership, Ju Ju Be All...
Any others that I should consider?

I am really counting on your opinions and any ideas on this subject!

Thank you, Natasha

Momof3Labs
04-17-2007, 04:18 PM
The Dash is much too small, IMO. For that length flight, I'd bring a large bag. How about a Lands End diaper backpack?

DAKnits
04-17-2007, 06:01 PM
IMO, you'll need a backpack to carry through the airport, so you can have your hands free to deal with your baby. But, I'll give you a few messenger suggestions if you have your heart set on that style. Oh, and I always just use the messenger strap on a messenger bag and put it around the handles of my P3, and use the backpack straps on a backpack to hang my backpack.

These are my suggestions:

Lexie Barnes Super Star: 12 1/2" H x 17" W x 6" D
Can only be worn messenger style, wipeable fabric, stuffable
http://www.lexiebarnes.com/collection/BSPR.htm

Posh Baby Ultimate Backpack/Messenger: 14" H x 12" W x 6" D
Can be worn both ways (great feature), super organized, stuffable (the measurements don't do it justice, you can really pack this bag) wipeable fabric, beautiful prints, LOVE this bag, use this for all day outings.
http://poshbaby.com/posh_bags.html

Lands End Do It All: 15" W x 11 1/2" H x 10 1/4" D
Wide opening, rugged messenger bag that fits a lot
http://www.landsend.com/pp/DoItAllDiaperBag-67583_109422_-1.html?sid=2761145026078176050&CM_MERCH=SRCH

Eagle Creek Parent Survival backpack: 16.5" H x 14" W x 8.5" D
Lots of moms love this bag's organization and durability
http://eaglecreek.com/bags_luggage/backpacks/Parent-Survival-Pack-60115/

Kelty Kids Diaper Daypack Backpack: 15" H x 13" W x 12" D
Also a favorite of lots of moms for organization and durability
http://www.backcountry.com/store/KEL0334/c3/s8/Kelty-Diaper-Daypack.html?id=pRge5XaX

Lands End Triple Compartment Backpack: 18" H x 12" W x 7 1/4 D
Most comfortable straps you'll find, three big compartments with lots of pockets, fits a lot!
http://landsend.com/pp/BackpackDiaperBag-67583_120488_-1.html?sid=2754195926088165000&CM_MERCH=SRCH

Dad Gear or Daisy Gear Backpack: 18" H x 12" W x 6" to 12" D (it
expands)
This bag is roughly the same size as the Lands End bag until it's expanded -- very unique features! Special system to attach it to your stroller too. I just hang most backpacks by their straps, but this one actually attaches.
http://www.daisygear.com/daisy/gear_main.cfm?ID=1

The Dash won't hold enough and IMO, neither will the Mothership -- it's bulky and doesn't hold as much as you would think. I have the Dash and had the Mothership. I've ordered, or own, most of the bags I list above so feel free to ask more questions!

HTH!

zephyr
04-18-2007, 11:17 AM
Hi. I use a Wendy Bellissimo messenger style diaper bag from BRU. I love it! It's got a pocket for everything, and the pockets are labeled. And it has room for an extra change of clothes, blankie, water bottle, etc. I have the tapestry one. She also has a couple other messenger ones, all of them are sophisticated and do not look babyish at all! HTH. To view go to babiesrus.com and click on wendy bellissimo.

mudder17
04-18-2007, 02:33 PM
Can you tell me what the dimensions are?

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/5.png

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/2.png

bubbaray
04-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Are you travelling alone with your DD or will your DH be travelling with you?

If you are travelling alone with her, I definitely suggest the LE triple compartment diaper backpack. Very organized, light interior, VERY comfy to wear and you will need a backpack if you are alone, especially through security & on your connections.

If you and DH are going, take the LE backpack above AND a LE DIA. The DIA is awesome as an in-flight bag. It opens wide and is super organized. It fits under the seat.

What we did when travelling with DD, DH took the LE backpack as his carry on, it had all our carryon stuff (toiletry bags, cameras, passports, etc), as well as backup stuff for DD in an emergency (diapers, change of clothes). I took the DIA and it had everything for DD. The combination was AWESOME!

The Dash isn't nearly big enough for your needs. The Mothership is too heavy unpacked and the strap sucks.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

natasha_n
04-19-2007, 12:38 AM
First of all, thank you very much for all the replies!

I will be traveling with my Dad (DH can't get time off work, unfortunately), but it will probably be very helpful to have another adult traveling with me. On the other hand, on the trip back (same length of travel) I will be by myself with DD (she will be 15 months by then). I am not sure how I will manage it – car seat, stroller, carry on and a toddler... but I will have to :)

After quite a bit of research on the subject, I am leaning more and more towards a diaper backpack (something that I didn’t even consider when I started thinking about it). Thank you for your wise advice :)
Now I am thinking that once we arrive to our destination, I will probably want a smaller diaper bag to carry around with me (we will be mostly walking, not driving)… But that is a totally different subject :)

The ones that I like the most are the Daisy Gear one in pink and the "classic" LE Backpack Diaper Bag (I am thinking of getting it in pink/black – probably not the most practical, but not as utilitarian looking as black or navy).

The advantages of Daisy Gear one are its expandability and stroller clip-on hooks (right?). However, LE is less than half the price of Daisy Gear and about the same size. Do you know if LE backpack will tip my stroller if I hang it on the handles?
Does either backpack come with accessories? I know that LE comes with a changing pad, is it any good? Is there anything else I am missing?

If you have experience with both of these, I would love to hear how the two compare IRL. Real life pictures would be greatly appreciated too!

DAKnits
04-19-2007, 01:21 AM
If you do an advanced search, there are pictures of the Lands End Backpack, and on the yahoo groups called "Babybags," there are pictures of the DaisyGear Backpack, and there are photos on their website as well. The Lands End backpack is only the same size as the DaisyGear bag when the DaisyGear is not expanded -- once expanded, the DaisyGear backpack is 6 inches deeper.

As far as tipping, my fully loaded Lands End backpack did not tip my Peg Perego P3, which is almost identical to a Zippy, and my daughter was not even in the stroller! Of course, it might depend on how heavy the bag is, but I've yet to tip my P3 with any of my fully loaded bags, and they are HEAVY.

As far as the difference in price, if you follow these instructions, the DaisyGear is only about $10 more. First, sign up for ebates.com (it's free, and you first visit ebates.com before shopping from an online store. You search for your store on ebates, and you get a certain percentage of your money back from your order. You can use my email, [email protected], as a referral if you want, and I get $5.00, LOL). Anyway, if you order the Daisygear backpack from a store called shoebuy.com, go to ebates.com first, then click on shoebuy from the ebates site, and you get 10% of the purchase price back! Plus, I think if you sign up for shoebuy.com for the first time, you get another 10% off your purchase, PLUS you can use the coupon code ANNIVERSARY07 when checking out for an additional 20% off! PLUS it's free shipping for both ordering AND RETURNS FOR WHATEVER REASON! It comes to $58, if I'm not mistaken. I think the Lands End diaper backpack is $45 with shipping. With all that said, I have the Lands End Backpack and love it, and have not yet received the DadGear bag, so I can't comment on whether it's as great as it looks. I ordered the Olive Green even though I think both the pink and pink hawaaiin are cute b/c I thought the green was neutral and less touristy looking ... but if I don't like it, I'm ordering the pink hawaaiin!

BTW, I always take a smaller diaper bag with me to wear during my vacation. I would suggest the Skip Hop Dash for that purpose, or the Ju Ju Be All -- both of which you were looking at. I always rather have a little extra room in my everyday bag when I'm away from home for additional items I wouldn't take with me at home b/c at home, I can always go to my car for extra supplies.

Oh, and if you're traveling alone (and even if you're not), and you are bringing your carseat on the plane, I would HIGHLY recommend the purchase of the Go Go Kidz -- it SAVED me when I was traveling alone and I was able to wheel DD in her carseat and wear my backpack (Oh, and you don't need to take off the attachment when installing the seat on the plane). I just checked her stroller to have at my destination!

http://www.gogobabyz.com/products/gogo_kids.html

samantha546
04-19-2007, 04:02 AM
We will be traveling to Mexico and I will be taking my Posh Baby Ultimate Diaper bag. I was going to bring the Lexie Barnes Superstar but I like that the PBU has a backpack option. Plus, I like that the PBU is a little more secure in closing. I may or may not bring my Skip Hop Duo as I'm pretty sure I'll be bringing a bag that's similar to the Haiku To-Go bag. It's going to be hot and I don't want to be bogged down with a huge bag when we're out and about. ;)

We're still unsure if we will bring a stroller or not. We will for sure have a carrier so that will help out a ton through the airport. The carseat will be checked in so getting through the airport will be a little easier.

Now, it's just how we can manage to keep the little one occupied! :)

Good luck and safe travels!

natasha_n
04-20-2007, 01:35 AM
All of this information is very helpful.

However, I am still debating between LE Backpack Diaper Bag and DadGear (DaisyGear) backpack as my “main� diaper backpack for our travel. I’ve looked at all the real life pictures available. The differences b/w the two seem somewhat minor, and especially now that Rachel recommended all these wonderful ways to bring down the price of DadGear.
BTW, Rachel, if you already received your DadGear, and when you get a chance, I would love to hear your opinion on how the two compare – pros and cons of both, if you can.

Also, thanks for mentioning Go Go Kidz, I thought about getting it awhile back, but was hesitant after reading a couple of not-so-positive reviews on it. I will definitely get it now, and I see that Costco.com has them (comes up to $86 with tax). I am not sure they have the lowest price, but I would get it from Costco just b/c of their wonderful return policy.

DAKnits
04-20-2007, 01:48 AM
I will definitely be taking my DadGear backpack for my upcoming trip over the LE TCB because there is a LOT more room in the Dadgear and there is a lot more organization! Also, the straps are super comfy which was a big concern for me since the LE TCB spoiled me. I will give you a pros and cons list tomorrow when I can play with them and pack them up -- but right now, I'm finally off to bed. :-) Glad to be of help, and I'll give you the details tomorrow!

natasha_n
04-20-2007, 03:35 AM
I just want to verify something - the only difference b/w DadGear and DaisyGear backpacks is color selection, correct? Size and features are the same...?

DAKnits
04-20-2007, 05:00 PM
Yes, that's correct. The only difference is color selection.

Edited to add: I won't be able to do a detailed comparison tonight bc I won't have computer access - my daughter's room is being painted so we're moving to my parents' house for the night with no internet access, but I'll do it Saturday. I did pack the Dadgear bag up and it holds A LOT more than my LE TEB.

natasha_n
04-24-2007, 03:30 AM
Thank you to everyone for your recommendations!

Rachel~

I was just wondering if you are still liking your DadGear backpack? Would you recommend it over LE backpack?

I think I have my heart set on DadGear one, I just need a little more reassurance, but I guess I can always send it back if I don’t like it :)

I would also love to get PBU or JJB Be All in addition to the main huge diaper backpack, but they are a little bit out of my price range right now (all these travel expenses...) Unless someone knows a really good deal some place..?

DAKnits
04-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner about the DadGear bag. I've been out of the house while it's being painted and haven't had that much internet access.

As far as still liking it, I like really big bags, so this is right up my alley. With that said, I've only packed up the DadGear bag, but haven't traveled with it yet. It holds A LOT more than the LE TCB and is a lot more organized for me. So I would recommend it over the LE TCB. I love the diaper hammock (not sure I'll use it for diapers, but love having a pocket for quick access), and LOVE the wipes pocket. On the LE TCB, that bottom pocket is useless for me -- it's so small and shallow. I like that the DadGear bag is a lot deeper, but not taller or wider, so it doesn't look like it's bigger than the LE TCB. The straps are just as comfy as the LE TCB while being less bulky, and I love the styling of the bag. Also, there are two extra pockets for bottles, which I'll can use for something else, but it's a great option if you're traveling with a newborn.

The best part is you can buy and return it without losing anything --free shipping both ways!

2lovingkids
04-26-2007, 09:13 AM
I travel cross-country with my two kids all the time and my favorite bag is the Timi & Leslie backpack. Easy to carry on your back while toting your little one. I keep my wallet and ID in the front pocket so I can get to it easily (and skip carrying my purse). Inside has lots of pockets and I love the side zipper which opens into the bag so I can reach things at the bottom without having to go through the whole bag. I kept my wips right by the zipper. It is the only bag I use when I fly.

Have a great trip!

Snowbaby59
05-02-2007, 08:56 PM
HI,

I love my Baby Sherpa. Just got home from a 7 hour flight and had everything we needed and the bag fit under the seat in front of us fully loaded. the cooler is a god send for long flights and little ones. There was just a review done on About.com on Baby Sherpa- the link is http://babyproducts.about.com/od/diaperbagsbabycarriers/gr/baby_sherpa.htm?terms=baby+sherpa

This Mom spent 2 months travelling in Europe with little ones.

Have a safe trip,

Lynn

natasha_n
05-03-2007, 01:51 AM
Hello ~

Well, after a very long decision making process, I decided to go with DadGear backpack. I ordered it from ShoeBuy (thank you for pointing me in that direction, Rachel), and received it in no time at all. Although I was originally going to get the pink version, I ultimately decided to stick with more gender neutral (who knows, maybe DH will use it one day) and ordered the red one. It will also match my navy/red stroller :)

I haven’t had a chance to pack it yet, but I already love the organization and the size. The straps are VERY comfortable. I think I am going to like it!! It is definitely too huge for everyday outings, but perfect for a 25 hour trip (I hope). I think it will fit just about everything I will need. I don’t know if it’s bigger than Baby Sherpa though...

I am also planning on taking Ju-Ju-Be Be Changed pad to have handy during travel (that way I don’t have to get the whole backpack out every time I need to change a diaper in the airplane). I also probably need some sort of travel documents organizer...

I am a little overwhelmed by the whole trip planning process, so I am trying to get organized and starting to make a list of things to pack for the trip. Besides the obvious – snacks, diapers, wipes – do you have any packing advice?

Thank you once again to everyone for your input!!

~ Natasha

DAKnits
05-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Natasha --

Just to let you know, I had the regular size (large) Baby Sherpa, and the DadGear fits a LOT more than the Sherpa, also because the cooler section takes up a lot of room, and if you don't have a lot of food that needs "refrigeration" it's wasted space.

As for what to bring, I think I would bring 12 diapers (LOL!!!), and definitely one of those big soft wipes packs and diaper cream. I'm bringing lots of dry food snacks! I would bring a change of clothes -- in your case, at least 2. I'm also bringing a few small medicines like tylenol and mylecon, and the basic first aid stuff.

For entertainment, I'm bringing markers and coloring books, a mini water color paint set with paper, DVD player w/her favorite movies, mini playdoughs with a few shape cutters, and a few thin books. I'm also packing a thin blanket and her favorite stuffed animal.

I am about to make my packing list (I'm leaving on Monday), so if you want I can post it --- I bet I bring almost as much as you do, and my trip is 3 hours, LOL!!!

natasha_n
05-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Rachel ~

I would love to see your list! I am sure there are things that I haven't even thought of... This is my first time traveling with DD, and she is still too young for traditional entertainment solutions like stickers, playdoughs and coloring books. Maybe she will be more into it on the way back (she is going to be 15 mos. by then).

Actually, I just double checked our itinerary and our connection flight is NOT 5 hours, it is ... 7 hours. I need all the help I can get! :)

Natasha

DAKnits
05-03-2007, 08:50 PM
WOW, that is one long flight with ONE carry on! I'd be happy to post my packing list over the weekend -- I'm sure it's going to be more stuff than you plan to bring, lol! When I traveled with my DD at a year old, I brought the portable DVD player (a godsend), board books, playdohs, and this big electronic toy that had a million buttons (hey, the sound of that toy is a lot better than a crying kid!). I brought lots of food!

I would also strongly suggest also wearing a waist pack so you can have your ID, money, tickets, and DD's sippy right away, without taking off your backpack (I just bought this one):

Diaper Dude Mini Dude:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/23122965/c/1152.html

It also comes with a messenger strap in case you ever want to wear it that way. It's has two water bottle holders (that fit bottles or sippys), and the main compartment will fit your wallet, checkbook, ID, tickets etc..., and then it has two small pockets on the front --I don't know if I'll use those, maybe for change, medicines, extra contacts, pony holders, etc...

carolynstricker
05-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Try Skip Hop. They are small enough to put under the seat in front of you.
Paula