PDA

View Full Version : Why is it so hard to find the perfect toddler bag?

kayte
06-21-2007, 10:12 AM
I did a bunch of research --a lot here--when I needed a bag for a newborn. I was able to determine what I needed and which bags had those things. I ended up with a Fluer Sling Tote which I have carried for over a year and loved every day. For the last 2 months I have been searching out the perfect toddler bag---something between a casual purse and diaper bag. I know what I want --cute fabric, shoulder handles, pockets inside, pocket on the outside that holds a sippy cup, a way to attach it to the stroller, and not too big. Why is this so hard to find? Does anyone have any suggestions I might not have found yet? And yes, I know everyone hates the posts about "finding the perfect bag"-- I am just frustrated enough that I can't think of another thing to try...

TIA

nfowife
06-21-2007, 11:46 AM
Since you love your ST, have you thought about the mini? It was my favorite toddler bag by far. No outside sippy pockets, though. Another option might be the smaller touring tote from LL Bean, but it isn't a cute fabric. OiOi Hobo as well, fits your criteria but is rather large (probably just as roomy as the sling tote).

samantha546
06-22-2007, 02:11 AM
I think a Ju-Ju-Be Be Small will fit your needs PERFECTLY.

I have the Be Small and the Be All, on top of a PPB Touring Tote and Caden Lane Hobo. I really like these bags.

kayte
06-23-2007, 08:08 AM
Samantha-
Thanks for the recommendation. I drove out to a store in town to look at the Be Small IRL. I do like it. I only wish the cup holder was on the outside--but alas I don't think the prefect bag for me is out there! LOL. I did have a question about where you put your diapers--- I thought from the website that the mesh pockets opened longways so you could slip one in , but I see they open towards the top of the bag.... Do they fit in there anyway? Do you just store them in the middle? DD is used to going in my bag for her cup --- and I am afraid if the diapers are lose in the center, she will pull them out every time.

Thanks so much for the rec.

Kayte

samantha546
06-24-2007, 05:47 PM
Lately I've been volunteering for several hours a day, so I've been using my Be All more and I do like having the bottle pockets on the outside.. but find myself actually putting them in the inside pocket.

I use a Diapees & Wipees so don't have an issue with having loose diapers around. These fit in those mesh pockets but mostly they stay in the main compartment. I did use a JJB Be Quick with cloth diapers this weekend and just had it in the main compartment.

I've personally given up on the "perfect" diaper bag and have settled for many "almost perfect" diaper bags/purses that double as diaper bags. ;) The JJB's do come pretty close to perfect though.

If you can, check out the Caden Lane Hobo.. you could essentially use one of the outside flap pockets for a sippy cup. I like that they're lined in a funky vinyl so if a spill was to happen, you only need to wipe it clean.

Have fun shopping! :)

Samantha

mams99
07-13-2007, 10:14 AM
I'm finding that for a toddler I need a small bag for most things (and I'm getting the Be Small). I also picked up the REI Nichole DayPack which is PERFECT for light trips out to the park and I can use later.

Other bags that I have loved for the "light" toddler days are the Un Apres Midi de Chien Passy and the Lesportsac Charlie.

However, I find I also need a big bag for when we will be out longer. he is no longer satisfied just playing iwth mom and dad, he wants to be read, to draw, to play with his toys... so when we go out longer, I need to bring these things with us (like to grandmas, friend's houses, restaurants, etc.)... I NEVER needed a huge bag before because I was breastfeedind and he was never very messy, but NOW as a two year old, I need more than ever. So, I'm getting a bigger bag - The Be All and I might also take a peak at the Reese Li Lexington bags (that's what my friend wants me to get her too).

I never found the sling tote to be overly useful because of the lack of place to put a sippy or water for me, but I know people love them...

Melissa

Edited to add: Plus, my two year old is a TERRIBLY picky eater, so I need to bring food for him whenever we go anywhere either. Fortunately, the food he DOES like is good food, but it is a PITB when he won't eat pasta or potatoes or most meats unless they are breaded and only apples, pears, peaches, and bananas for fruit. (forget about MIXING food either - no way).

ged
07-14-2007, 11:01 PM
I use a UAMDC Passy as well. It has the shoulder straps you want, you can hang it off your stroller using hooks, and the best thing is that I can put my SIIG bottle (for my DD) in one of the outside end pockets. I have the regular/medium size and it is a little small at times, so perhaps the large is a better size. Overall, I think it's my 'almost perfect' toddler bag for the moment.

sivan
07-22-2007, 07:27 AM
what is the UAMDC? Sorry, don't know all the acronyms!

ged
07-24-2007, 12:45 AM
Sorry, Un Apres Midi de Chien

BeachBum
07-24-2007, 11:38 AM
I have the UAMDC Passy as well. I just got it this week.

It seems like it is a great toddler bag. It is actually a purse--not a diaper bag so there aren't "diaper" pockets inside, but there is a phone pocket and another small pocket. There are built in rings so you can easily invent a way to attach it to your stroller. I agree that my sigg fits in an outside pocket. I like that the top zips closed. I think the regular medium size is just right. Something bigger would be too big for me.

My Lexi Barnes Darling is a also a great bag. It is a diaper bag not a purse. It is too big for me for everyday, but might work well for someone else. It has built in stroller hooks and outside water pockets.