PDA

View Full Version : Backpack and lunch bags for Kindergarten????

daisy1234
08-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Hi...I Need a backpack for DS who's starting K in a month! Should I go quality and get a LE or LL Bean? Or should I go for a character bag? Also...any hints on lunch bags as I am a bit concerned overt the whole lead ordeal last year. Anyway...any hints appreciated! Also I noticed LLbean has age recs....I was thinking about getting the 7 and up one...or should I get the 4 and up. His preschool pack was so small that his projexts would get mushed! This should be easy right...I just don't want to end up buying several through the year! Thanks you!

lisams
08-06-2007, 07:17 PM
For a lead free lunch box/bag, check out www.reusablebags.com they have a good variety.

I personally would go with a good quality backpack. They get treated pretty rough in school. Plus I think they look nicer, but that's just me!

Have fun shopping for back to school!! We have another year for K, but I'm already getting nervous!

Sugar Magnolia
08-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Ds used the LL Bean Junior one for Kindergarten last year and it was the perfect size. Actually ds will be using it again this year for first grade.

SnuggleBuggles
08-06-2007, 08:43 PM
I bought ds the LL Bean Jr. backpack for 4-7yo. I wouldn't want it to be any bigger. It is perfect and will be perfect for school this year. I thought the Lands' Ends ones were too pricey. We all have LL Bean bags now and dh's and mine have held up beautifully for years. :)

No thoughts on lunch boxes yet!

Beth

Tondi G
08-07-2007, 12:38 AM
My DS begged for the Pirates backpack and lunchbox, from the Disney store online, when he was staring Kindergarten and it worked out beautifully for us. Both have held up quite well actually. He could easily use them again this year for 1st Grade. I loved that the lunchbox clipped right on to the outside of the backpack so the whole inside of the backpack space could be used for his folder and sweatshirt. If they had a new pattern he liked I would buy a new set! I actually called the disneystore.com CS number and the person said the lunchboxes are lead free! This year he wants Pokemon... uugh! I am thinking maybe we'll go with the pokemon lunchbox and try to get him a nice solid colored backpack from LLBean or Lands End!

Good Luck with your purchase!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

michellep
08-07-2007, 09:38 AM
No strong opinion on the backpack, but for the lunchbox--buy something machine washable! The ones that can't go into the wash get very disgusting very quickly. The reusable bags site above is great, and you can just search for "machine washable" and get a nice selection. We have a few Built NY bags that stand up to repeated hot washes.

-M

daisy1234
08-07-2007, 08:50 PM
Thank you all so much for all your ideas!!! I also love that site with all the reusables...I have been dying to find a decent reusable water bottle!!!! I found one...kinda pricey....but if the Siggs work it will be sooooo worth it!!! :)

lmintzer
08-07-2007, 09:30 PM
We used a small REI one for K this past year. I was going to get the Lands End for ages 4-7, but it was out of stock when I needed it. I really like the LL Bean ones too, but the Lands End and the REI have outside pockets for water bottles. DS's K class had snack every day, so I was able to pop a small water bottle right in the side pocket. I think this is our bag, though we bought it in a different color: http://www.rei.com/product/725231

The backpack held a school folder with his papers without a problem.

I do love some of the LL Bean prints this year, though. So cute! Those packs are very popular at our school--definitely the brand you see the most of.

I need a lunch box/pack for 1st grade. Still not sure which. Looking forward to seeing other ideas.