PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a small, comfortable messenger bag.

AZMom2Be
08-21-2007, 11:25 PM
I am looking for a new bag to wear for quick trips out with DD that I won't mind taking out myself when I run to the grocery store. I want something that is not cumbersome to wear (conforms to the body), lightweight, and well organized. I would prefer a zipper or magnet closure over velcro. I'd also like external side pockets for sippy cups. Does something like this exist out there?

Thanks!

suzhatch1
08-22-2007, 12:19 AM
* Overland Donner has 2 exterior bottle pockets, mini-organized section for Mommy things & a main compartment that can hold just a couple dipes & necessities. Kind of a casual, sporty look. It does have a patch of velcro holding the main flap down though.

* Haiku to Go is similiar in size to the Overland Donner, but comes in some cute, fun colors & looks a little less sporty. It also has 2 bottle pockets on the sides, but they are a tighter fit for sippy cups than the Overland Donner's pockets. It has several interior pockets too for some good organization & no velcro!

* Loom Bandicoot has 2 exterior side pockets for bottles/sippies & a main zippered compartment that can hold stuff for a quick trip out. No velcro on the bag at all. It also converts to a small backpack too. It can come w/an accessory wristlet style bag that attaches to the main bag too, so you can keep your Mommy stuff seperate.

* Silverline Swagg is a mini messenger/convertible backpack that can hold items for a quick trip. It can hold a bottle inside & a couple dipes along w/a few necessities. Comes in some bright fun colors. For more $$, it also comes in prints.

HTH,
Suz :)

AZMom2Be
08-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Thank you Suz! I think the Haiku to Go would be perfect if only the side pockets were a bit bigger. The Donner and Swagg might also be good options, I just wish there were more colors available.

hudsonam
08-24-2007, 09:35 PM
I JUST got an Overland Donner, and it's great as a quick trip bag. The side pockets can be a tiny bit difficult to get a cup out of, but I love how they are hidden. If you have two hands, it's not hard, and with one hand, it is possible, but a little tricky. ;-) REI.com had some cute color combos. HTH!

bubbaray
08-25-2007, 11:13 AM
I prefer the Lands End Little Tripper over the Overland Donner. I have both and the Overland bag ripped at the shoulder strap seam after a couple months light (and I mean VERY light) use. I have 2 LE LT bags and have used them for 3 years with zero quality problems.

Also, I've had friends without children compliment the LE LT bag and get them as weekend/casual bags for themselves. They are great for holding your own water bottle for the gym!

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

AZMom2Be
08-25-2007, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the info. I went to REI today (they are having a Labor Day sale)to look at the Donner in person. I liked it, but I think the side pockets are a little too small to hold DD's sippy cup (she uses the Nuby cups with a straw). I also looked at the Haiku -- again, the side pockets are too small! Gah!

I have had the LE LT in the back of my mind and I think I might go ahead and give that a try. I wish they had more color options! Right now on the website I only see navy and then a few pastel colors, not my fav.

Would the Skip Hop Duo be a good option? From what I can tell online it looks like it might be less bulky than the Dash.

bubbaray
08-25-2007, 02:26 PM
The side pockets in the LE LT are slightly bigger than those in the Donner. Can you post a link to the sippy cup you are talking about? I might have one I can try.

The SH Duo is significantly larger than either the Donner or LT. It d/n have a flap (the Dash does) and it d/n stand by itself. It also holds less than the Dash (though more than either the Donner or LT).

Really, you can't go wrong ordering the LE LT. Lifetime guaranty and return policy (no questions asked) and free shipping/returns to Sears in the US. I mean, you can't beat the price, KWIM?

HTH

Melissa

suzhatch1
08-25-2007, 07:32 PM
>Thanks for the info. I went to REI today (they are having a
>Labor Day sale)to look at the Donner in person. I liked it,
>but I think the side pockets are a little too small to hold
>DD's sippy cup (she uses the Nuby cups with a straw). I also
>looked at the Haiku -- again, the side pockets are too small!
>Gah!
>
>I have had the LE LT in the back of my mind and I think I
>might go ahead and give that a try. I wish they had more color
>options! Right now on the website I only see navy and then a
>few pastel colors, not my fav.
>
>Would the Skip Hop Duo be a good option? From what I can tell
>online it looks like it might be less bulky than the Dash.

Actually, they may have seemed small, but the Overland Donner can hold quite a large bottle/sippy cup. My DD uses the Nuby sippy cups (both w/straw & w/out) & they fit into the Donner just fine. Matter of fact, I can even put a large adult size Nalgene bottle or an adult Costco water bottle in there too. The Donner's side bottle pockets are MUCH more accomodating than the Haiku To-Go side bottle pockets.

As for color options, that's one reason I really prefer the Overland Donner to the LE LT. The color choices & bland look of the LE LT just don't do anything for me, but the Donner has some cute, funky prints & patterns & the light bright interiors of their bags are great for finding everything.

I agree w/the PP, the SH Duo is going to be about 2x the size of the Overland Donner, or the Haiku to Go. So if you saw both of those IRL & liked the size, than the SH Duo would be too big for you.

juliasmom05
08-26-2007, 12:21 PM
Melissa,

Thanks so much. I have a LE LT that I bought two years ago and one of the plastic rings connecting the bottle holder to the strap had broken. I never even thought to call LE and see if they would fix it or replace it after 2 yrs. They are sending me a brand new one :).

To OP, yes a Nuby sippy cup fits in the side pockets.

Marci

bubbaray
08-26-2007, 12:30 PM
Yup, they rock, don't they?! :) The keyfob on my LE attache broke (probably my fault, it was a few years old) and I called asking them to send me a new keyfob so I could sew it on myself. They said no way, insisted on sending me a completely new attache.

Melissa

tiapam
09-04-2007, 09:06 PM
You might look into the LeSportsac Deluxe Everyday:

http://www.lesportsac.com/store/7507_4764.html

The only requirement it might not meet is the pocket for a sippy cup, though it may fit in one of the two smaller outside pockets, it will probably stick out. I just put DD's SIgg bottle in one of the main compartments.

-Pam

DD - Two years old!

fauve01
10-05-2007, 05:01 PM
i just posted in another post about the Healthy back diaper bag. i've really loved it. it has a great side pocket on the outside and another on the inside where you could put a sippy (we put our dora insulated straw cup outside and our purell on the inside).

it has a million pockets, has a contrasting color inside so it's easy to see everything, and it's super comfortable to wear. it's basically a black backpack, so DH doesn't mind using it either.

here's what it looks like:
http://comfortfirst.com/p-32531-healthy-back-baby-diaper-bag-by-ameribag-free-shipping.aspx?kbid=3225

not sure if it's too big for you overall, though.

good luck!
anne + dd 10-03

jeminaal
10-06-2007, 11:41 AM
I've had my Overland Donner for the past three 1/2 years and still love it. I discovered this bag when I used to frequent a babywearing message board. Now that my kiddos are out of the diaper stage, it's my "go to" bag for all day trips. It's so convenient and easy access to everything. I've found the bag to be pretty sturdy, even after a few washings. No torn seams or unraveling straps. The straps were also long enough to go around our 2004 Maclaren Twin Traveller which I really appreciated.

Jeanette
(formerly known as jeanmick, member since Feb 2003)

DD Born Christmas Eve
DS Born Valentine's Day

AgathiP04
10-06-2007, 10:01 PM
I was just browsing and came across this one on PBK:

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/zf886/index.cfm?pkey=gthmcipmom

It has side sippy pockets, too!

sassygirl
10-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Have you thought about a Lexie Barnes? They are super cute and very functional.