PDA

View Full Version : Target's version of Skip Hop

mtrattner
08-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Does anyone have it? How similar is it to the real ones. I know it is made by skip hop for Target but looking for a review from someone.
Thanks so much!

codex57
08-23-2007, 02:21 AM
Is it on their website? I'd like to see what it looks like.

juliasmom05
08-23-2007, 07:40 AM
Here it is

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_1/602-5892683-8946267?ie=UTF8&asin=B000PU3GVA

I just saw them at Target and was wondering as well how they compared to the other Skip Hops.

Marci

chubbycheeks
08-23-2007, 07:53 PM
I've owned Skip Hops in the past (dash and duo) and have seen the Target bag IRL. I think it looks just as good as the *real* SHs. In fact, I like the pocket layout better on the Target one, and the fact that is has tote handles better than the Duo. For the price, I don't think you would be disappointed.

julieakc
08-24-2007, 02:08 AM
I largely agree with Jodie. I saw one in Target last week and thought it looked nice. I did feel that the fabric was not quite a nice as the regular Skip Hop line, but definitely think for the price it's a great bag. The layout was nice, and I would hope that Skip Hop would stand behind this line same as all their products, and I think it's been mentioned here that the customer service has been pretty good.

codex57
08-29-2007, 02:01 PM
I checked it out. The fabric is kind of poor actually. It's good for the price compared to the real Skip Hop. Otherwise, compared to other bags in that price range, it's only advantage seems to be the straps to clip onto a stroller. Two things really bugged me about it. First, the side bottle pockets aren't insulated. Second, the velcro is annoying and they're placed kind of low in the pockets so that you lose space if you use them. Wish they had buttons or zippers instead b/c velcro can catch and mess up fabric that comes into contact with it.

I'm making a trek out to the big independent baby store this weekend. I'll check out the real Skip Hop bags there. I'm still considering it b/c of the stroller clips.

We ended up buying the PBK Ultimate in navy. In terms of where the pockets and stuff were located (both inside and out), it seems nearly identical to the Target Skip Hop, but of vastly superior quality materials and the side pockets are insulated. The straps have these cushioned rubber pads that allow it to hang just fine on our stroller, but navy doesn't match our stroller and I think that bothers my wife. The PBK also turns into a backpack, but it's a useless feature since they located the straps too low to make it balance properly. Just wasted a perfectly good pocket since the straps aren't detachable.

nfowife
08-29-2007, 09:40 PM
I have had MANY diaper bags in the past 2 years (including every model of bag SH makes!) and I really love the Target version. For me, I loved SH bags but I do not like messenger style bags. I just really only use and wear tote bags. I was so bummed that the only tote option SH had was the humongous duo double- too big for me to carry, too big for what I normally pack, and I don't use a side by side stroller so I really had no need for it other than the tote straps. So I was so excited to see a tote-style SH bag available! I've been using mine for a few weeks now and I LOVE it. It isn't my only bag (although I don't switch daily- usually stick with one bag for a few weeks and then rotate to another one as my mood changes) but it still looks brand new. I've had no problems with the velcro. Insulated cupholders are not an issue with me as when we are out I only carry water for my kids (and my baby nurses so no bottles). I really love this bag and the tote straps are exactly what I want in a bag. No complaints! I prefer this bag to my timi and leslie tagalong only because it's more stuffable and about $70 less!!

codex57
08-30-2007, 01:22 PM
Why do you like totes better than messenger bags? Real life experience from an experienced parent is really helpful to first timers like me. Appreciate your help.

ltmommy
09-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Well, I was in Target the other day and saw the bag again... I was having a rough week with the kids, and have been very frustrated with my SH Dash - it is the ice blue one, and is constantly getting FILTHY - so I ended up buying myself this bag as a little mommy "reward," thinking if I put my stuff in it and didn't love it, I could always return it.

I love this bag! Way more than my Dash, actually. It fit everything that I had in the Dash, IMO with a little room to spare. I think the fabric is very similar to my Dash, and it seems like there is even one additional zippered pocket. And the changing pad is still tiny, but cuter (I got the black one). The only things missing are a key hook inside the zippered pocket (which I never used anyway) and the mesh bottle pockets (the ones on the Dash are solid, but not insulated or anything). Also, it has the detachable main strap and the tote straps too, so I detatched the main strap and can finally (easily) use the stroller straps.

Makes me really regret spending the $ on the Dash 5 months ago, but then again I am really happy there was a not-so-expensive alternative!

nfowife
09-03-2007, 10:38 PM
I think it is more of personal preference in terms of what way you wear your bag. For me and my lifestyle, I don't usually have to wear the bag for really long periods of time. Like when I go shopping it is in the cart, or in the stroller basket (or attached to the handlebar like these bags are designed to do). Plus I'm short and just feel like messenger bags are not comfy for me to wear. I like to just put the bag on my shoulders and go and tote style is the most comfortable bag for me. I don't like bags banging against my hip. It will depend on what your wife prefers. This bag does come with both tote straps and a detachable messenger strap so you can wear it both ways if you wanted to.

codex57
09-05-2007, 12:45 AM
We bought the SH Dash over the weekend. Wife wanted it cuz it matched our Bugaboo. Store had a sale and the color we wanted so we got it. I've been told that our PBK Ultimate is now "my" bag b/c it doesn't match the stroller.

I think the Target is totally worth it. Some minor, minor differences, but for most people, the price difference makes it worth it.

All in all, IMHO, the Dash is quite inferior to the PBK Ultimate. However, the Target version's prolly the best buy in that price range.

CiderLogan
09-28-2007, 01:33 PM
I'm not the OP, but I wanted to let you know why I prefer totes too: it's just a pain to try to open a messenger bag flap while holding a baby. With a tote, I can just reach in. Also, totes tend to be a little smaller, and a huge bag feels like overkill for every little trip to the grocery store. I save the big bags for trips.

-J (Mama to two amazing girls, ages 1 and 4)

caleymama
10-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Ditto that! I've sold both of the messenger diaper bags I've tried.

UsMominOz
10-29-2007, 08:18 AM
I was just wondering if the bag tips over like the Duo? That is one thing I do not like about the bag.

Thanks

codex57
10-29-2007, 03:06 PM
I couldn't get it to stand up. Price is really good tho. I'd be willing to make some sacrifices for the price. You might have to check out the newly released Skip Hops. I believe some of those can stand up now.

ktneely
11-03-2007, 02:09 PM
Just wondering what's the color of the inside of the these bags? Are the red bags, red inside too or black? What about the black bags - black w/black? I know part of the allure of Skip Hop bags are the interior color that makes it easier to find the bags contents. I'm on bed rest so I can't visit my local Target, so your comments are valuable!
Thanks!

codex57
11-05-2007, 07:43 PM
I believe they're black inside. I need to go double check the Target ones, but on the regular Skip Hops, I know for sure the black and red bags have black inside linings. I don't remember the Target ones being much different from the regular ones though.

Yeah, when I read reviews on here and other places, people raved how well organized the insides were and how easy they were to use. I honestly don't see how it's much different from other bags. It's nothing special IMO. The black inside actually makes it dark and tough to see inside. That's why I seem to be one of the few people who thinks the PBK Ultimate is a better bag than the Skip Hop. We only kept our red Skip Hop b/c it matches our stroller and the PBK doesn't.

codex57
11-12-2007, 03:06 PM
The Red Target version is light grey inside. Easy to see what you have inside. Regular red SH is black inside.