PDA

View Full Version : What bag for the plane?

new_mommy25
10-03-2007, 04:47 AM
I'm taking a flight alone with my DD in a month. It's about 12 hours total but the first flight is 9 hours straight. I'll need room to take a fair amount of toys, plus lots and lots of snacks, jackets and a light blanket, change of clothes, and the rest of the usual stuff. My current bag is the Skip Hop Dash but I don't think it is big enough. I'd like to only do one bag but if necassary I can do the Skip Hop and a back pack. I was looking online at Lands End and saw the Back pack diaper bag and the Do It All. Both looked pretty roomy. The back pack would probably be easiest to deal with but I would choose the DIA if it fit more. Any suggestions?

bubbaray
10-03-2007, 10:46 PM
We took both the LE DIA and LE backpack as DHs and my carryons. The backpack held our stuff, changes of clothes, cameras and passports, we put it in the overhead bins. The DIA held all of DD#1s stuff and we kept it open, underneath the seat in front of her, easily accessible during the flight.

Take LOTS of diapers, twice as many as you think you'll need. Ditto wipes. Ziploc bags.

No way would your Dash be big enough for a 12 hour trip.

FYI, that trip I also packed in my checked luggage a LE LT, which was my diaper bag/purse on the trip once we were at our destination. Worked out great b/c I didn't need a purse and a diaper bag, it served both functions.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

DAKnits
10-04-2007, 05:41 PM
I would highly recommend the DadGear/Daisygear backpack ... I have the Land's End Triple Compartment Backpack and it doesn't fit nearly as much as the Dadgear, and the Dadgear/Daisygear is just as comfy to wear. I've pretty much tried all big bags, and can give you a review of any of them, just ask.

Check out this thread:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=63&topic_id=32291&mesg_id=32291&listing_type=search

stefani
10-04-2007, 11:31 PM
When I traveled to Asia I take a carry-on (22 in) and a bagpack. I have done this 3 times so far, and it works well. I brought a stroller and a car-seat as well when DS was 20 months old, but when he was 2.5 and 4 years old, I used a ride-on-carry-on www.rideoncarryon.com.

Have fun and good luck!

new_mommy25
10-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Were you traveling alone? How did you manage the suitase plus stroller and car seat? The ride on seat looks nifty. Thanks for the link?

new_mommy25
10-07-2007, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the link to that very helpful thread. I just ended up purchasing the Dadgear backpack from Shoebuy for $64 shipped. I also went through ebates so I can get additional money back. I think this will be the answer but if it isn't I love that I get free returns. Thank you.

DAKnits
10-07-2007, 10:49 PM
I think you're going to love the backpack!

I traveled with my DD in a carseat using the GoGo Kidz -- the BEST thing I've bought besides the DadGear backpack. Your carseat becomes a stroller, and you don't need the remove the attachment to put it on the seat on the plane. I just rolled my DD through the airport, put it on the seat on the plane, and then had it as my stroller immediately when we got off the plane, and wore my backpack. I haven't really priced it around, so you might be able to find it cheaper.

Here's a link:

http://www.gogobabyz.com/products/gogo_kids.html

http://www.ababyoutlets.com/gogo_babyz_travelmate.htm

Edited to add: I was traveling alone and the backpack and Go Go Kidz made it totally manageable -- I don't know how I would have done it otherwise.

new_mommy25
10-11-2007, 09:55 PM
You know, I've been thinking about one of those. Did you not bring a stroller at all or did you check the stroller?

DAKnits
10-12-2007, 09:53 AM
I checked the stroller.

stefani
10-13-2007, 12:29 AM
The first time, when DS was 20 months old, DH came with me, but then he came home first, so I traveled alone half of the time.

So I had: a Lands' End diaper bag, a backpack, a stroller, carseat in a carseat bag with wheels. Sorry, I forgot, I did not bring a carry-on at that time. What I did: put DS in stroller, diaper bag in the stroller's basket, backpack on my back, put the carseat bag's strap around my right wrist, and pushed the stroller. I had to walk slowly, but it worked.

The 2nd and 3rd time, I only had the carry-on, with ride-on-carry-on, and backpack. Much easier and lighter :-) The 3rd time DS even helped pushed the cart with luggages, it gets a little easier as he gets older.

Snowbaby59
10-19-2007, 04:36 AM
Hi,

Highly recommend the Baby Sherpa. I bought this after reading some great reviews from travel writers with small children. It worked great. Super comfortable and the cooler section is amazing for storing food and snacks for the plane. Website is www.babysherpa.com

Hope this helps,

Lynn