PDA

View Full Version : PBK ultimate or skip hop dash?

kusumat
10-27-2007, 01:53 AM
I am looking for a new diaper bag which I can carry or use with the stroller. I can't decide b/w these two. I prefer the fabric of PBK than skip hop. I am not sure whether the PBK can be machine washed. Anyone knows?

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/sw1220/index.cfm?pkey=xsrd0m1%7C16%7C%7C%7C1%7C%7C%7C%7C% 7C%7C%7Cdiaper%20bag&cm%5Fsrc=SCH

I am thinking about getting the PBK one in red. Do you think it will look good with my Pliko P3 in Toffe.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2580970

Any suggestions? TIA!

debbydaisy
10-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Have you seen the new via?

http://bediboo.com/skhopviame.html

kusumat
10-27-2007, 01:24 PM
I just don't like the canvas material. Does it use the same material on this bag? Thanks!

debbydaisy
10-27-2007, 04:02 PM
>I just don't like the canvas material. Does it use the same
>material on this bag? Thanks!

good question. i don't know - it looks shinier.

codex57
10-29-2007, 05:41 AM
We have both. We only use the PBK.

Other than it being lighter and able to clip to a stroller, I can't see any advantage for the Skip Hop. Previous threads mentioned the better organization in the Skip Hop. I don't see it. They're nearly identical. And the magnetic snaps on the front pockets of the Skip Hop seem more of a pain than anything. I also had to Febreze the SH.

I don't like the backpack straps on the PBK. Pretty useless b/c they're placed in a way where the balance is all off if you try and use it as a backpack. Otherwise, the material is nicer, bottle holder area is insulated, strap is padded and grippy, seems slightly bigger.

I checked. The PBK has identical fabric as those $160 diaper bags like Fleurville, etc.

If you want a Skip Hop, just get the $30 one from Target. Save yourself $30 cuz the regular Dash isn't really worth it compared to the PBK. The only reason we didn't return our Skip Hop was cuz the PBK didn't match our stroller and you can't clip it to the stroller.

codex57
10-29-2007, 05:54 AM
The Dash is supposed to be upgraded. No more velcro for the main pocket (I hated this part too) and there are new clips that let you keep both straps on. I guess this is cool. I dunno how great this part is b/c we only use it clipped to our stroller and leave the long strap at the bottom of the bag. The old clips didn't bother me any. The strap is just basic nylon. As a shoulder strap, it's horrible b/c it has no padding and the nylon is slippery. I noticed pics of the new Skip Hop bags have a padded piece like on a cheapy laptop bag. Hopefully they put that piece on the Dash as well. I thought it was kinda bizarre how Skip Hop straps didn't have anything at all on the basic nylong strap.

celluloidheroes
10-29-2007, 03:43 PM
i saw the new dash bags - they now have a shoulder pad that is removable and also has an embroidered asterisk on it. the main flap now uses magnets and closes in a bunch of different points on the flap. i think the price only went up by $1. has those new clips too.

kusumat
10-29-2007, 06:07 PM
Hi,

I have leaned toward the PBK because of its fabric. Though, I am not sure whether it will work well with the stroller. I don't mind if their color do not match. I am just wondering whether it will be safe to use on the stroller.

How was your experience? Have you used the PBK with the stroller at all. If yes, is it convenient and safe? It has not made the stroller flip backward, right?

Also, have you tried to wash the PBK in the washer machine at all? How was it after the wash?

TIA!

codex57
10-30-2007, 02:07 AM
The PBK isn't the greatest stroller bag. It's bigger and bulkier than the Skip Hop.

We have a Cameleon. We can hang it on the handle and it'll stay, but the Cameleon is a pretty stable stroller with a 1 piece handle. The PBK might tip over a less stable stroller and prolly wouldn't work on a stroller with two handles.

I haven't machine washed either bag. I was tempted with the Skip Hop cuz of the smell it came with, but decided to Febreze it instead. I'd be willing to bet the PBK handles a trip thru the washer better than the Skip Hop though.

However, if it's for your stroller, the new Skip Hops sound like they've improved the main negatives for me to suggest them instead of the PBK. Sure, the fabric feels like it would attract dirt more easily, but you normally can wash canvas. Yeah, I love the feel of the PBK fabric as well, but in the end, the Skip Hop is the one designed to clip to the stroller. That really is more convenient than struggling to keep the PBK on your shoulder as you're trying to get your kid in/out of the stroller.