PDA

View Full Version : Review: OskerBee Poratable Changing Station & Diaper Bag

MamaC
11-08-2007, 05:07 PM
I ordered this online and just received it. I will be returning at least the diaper bag portion as soon as the company decides to answer my email requesting an RMA...

I want to like the $40 changing station, I do. From their website: "The Baby Changer is a light weight foldable, portable, changing unit with a chrome frame finish and a wipe-clean nylon surface. It also includes a built in patented Omega safety inspected locking mechanism on both sides of the frame that locks easily into place once in use." The problem that I see is that it is 28" long and needs a flat surface just longer than that (certainly no less) for the products feet to be set down. I was hoping for something that would help me out in small bathroom situations. For the most part, if you can find me 28" of flat surface I'm good to go with a basic padded changing pad or a couple of blankets. It IS nice that it provides an elevated surface and a safety strap if your child is of the wiggly variety.

There is no carrying case (it's not necessary but a carrying strap would be nice); I purchsed the accompanying $60 diaper bag. The main feature of the bag is that the changer fits inside it...which meands the bag is GINORMOUS. If you look at the "About" page on their website you'll kind of see it in perspective in the Allison Janney photo (though no pic shows a good perspective view of how WIDE the beast is). It is as wide as my hospital-issued free Enfamil diaper bag but easily twice the height. At 5'2" (me, not the bag :) )this bag is lightweight but too large to carry easily or hang from my stroller.

The company website touts it as "an easy carry ballistic nylon bag...with the convenience of a detachable pouch for diapers, three (insulated) front pockets and many other baby accessories. No need to carry multiple bags." The main compartment is entirely taken up by the changer; you could squish other stuff in there but you'd have to completely unpack every time you changed a diaper. There is a detachable pouch, as indicated, and a very slender front zip pocket but to fit the extra stuff I carry (spare outfit, rattle, my wallet and sunglasses, a book) it was inconvenient to pack at best. As shown on the product page, there is a detachable cell phone case. There is the option to carry it like a messenger bag or a backpack but either way it's like strapping a small suitcase to you. I'm not sure what they mean by "many other baby accessories" because nothing else was included.

Customer service gets a B; no initial shipping confirmation was sent though when I requested one I got two prompt replies. I am still awaiting a response to my request for an RMA to make my return. I sent 2 emails as the initial one I sent to their listed customer support email address bounced back to me.

That's my 2 cents. I'd be curious to hear from anyone else owning this product. How often do you really use your changer? Should I hang onto it?

magentasageviolet
11-09-2007, 03:57 AM
interesting... I had not seen this product. It looks like a baby cot! :)

not crazy about the diaper bag and goodness it is HUGE!! wow... I would be curious to see it IRL mainly just to see its massiveness in person.

I don't see anything that says what stores they are in.