PDA

View Full Version : Do you actually use your shopping cart cover?

JoyNChrist
11-21-2007, 04:28 AM
I never put DS in the shopping cart seat, because the thought of the germs kind of icks me out. But I was thinking of getting a shopping cart cover. But then I wonder if I would really use it - how hard is it to tote around, put on the cart, etc?

Right now I usually just shop with DS in a pouch or a mei tai...should I just continue doing that instead?

MamaKath
11-21-2007, 10:42 AM
I always found them to be a pain. Lots of folks love them. I just found it made more laundry for me, and by the time they were too big to be carried they didn't fit in the cart covers either.

Emmas Mom
11-21-2007, 12:58 PM
All. the. time. I got one when DD#1 was a few months old, used it with her until she was over two & have used it with DD#2 since I was able to put her into a shopping cart & will continue to use it for months to come. I am one who feels they are invaluable. I have no problem putting it on one handed. Store it in the back of our SUV, no I don't fold it up or anything, just toss it in there. Doesn't bother me that way, there's plenty of room. It keeps the cart cooler in the summer & warmer in the winter. And don't get me started on the germ factor. I'm not a total germophobe and am even less so with DD#2 but shopping carts are one of those things that totally gross me out.

bubbaray
11-24-2007, 06:37 PM
All the time.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

daniele_ut
11-27-2007, 02:15 PM
I used mine constantly until DS was over 2. I actually ended up with 2 since I got one as a gift right after I ordered one from Sew Cute Boutique that was already on it's way. I kept one in each car and will likely use them again for this baby.

MommyAllison
11-27-2007, 07:08 PM
Yep, I still use mine 98% of the time with DD, and she is two. I keep it in the car. We still usually bring it into restaurants to use on the high chairs, too.

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

Melanie
02-10-2008, 05:16 PM
All of the time. Okay, 95% of the time and the other 5% I'm creeped out and usually make a spectacle wiping at least the handles down with wipes. And no, in general I'm not a huge germaphobe. I thought they were pretty silly until that winter when healthy people were actually dying of the flu. Ds was already two years old but I bought one immediately!

ETA: I just keep in the car. It is a little bit of a pain but just in the sense that without you just plop your baby into the seat and this is an extra step. I usually plan my parking spot near a cart return so I can leave Dd in the car (doors open!) while I grab a cart to put the seat in, and the reverse once we're done shopping.

Marisa6826
02-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Used 'em all the time. For both kiddos, in fact. It lived in the car, so I got it out, put it in the cart, and then put the kid in. Reversed the procedure at the end of the shopping trip.

-m

elektra
02-10-2008, 07:13 PM
I use mine too. There have been some times where I forgot it was in DH's car or something, and have just put DD in the seat, but for the most part we use it all the time.

babyready
02-10-2008, 07:32 PM
I never really used mine. Just found it to be one more thing to carry around. I love the idea of them but it just wasn't that practical for me.

pastrygirl
02-10-2008, 08:13 PM
99% of the time. Toby sat up unassisted very late, so he was a floppy boy for months and months. I needed the padded shopping cart cover so that I could shop with him! (He hated carriers and outgrew his infant seat at 3 months old.) I have a BuggyBag, which also comes with a pillow that was great for propping him up when he was younger.

Now at 20 months I use it if he's going to eat a snack (to contain the mess), or if it's raining/cold. It folds into itself and zips closed to a duffel bag shape. I always park next to the cart corral and bring a cart over, put the cover on, and put him in.

klwa
02-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Never used mine. And after a while I'd just happily throw DS in the cart. Heck, the kid will lick the ground just to see what the water in the hole in the sidewalk tastes like. Shopping cart germs are the least of my worries....

tylersmama
02-12-2008, 12:03 AM
I still use mine all the time. I keep it in the car, so it's easy to pull out whenever we stop at the store. I also use it in restaurant highchairs (those things can be seriously NASTY. ick. ick ick ick.). I have a kozypal and I love it!

ajb524
02-19-2008, 11:41 AM
I use mine all of the time. It stays in the back of my car and I take it out to wash it every now and then. It makes ds much more comfy and anything I can do to help him from being sick all of the time works for me :)

mom2binsd
02-19-2008, 09:43 PM
Sounding like a broken record- ALL THE TIME- I think it takes about 30 seconds to put on the cart, plunk kiddo in, I buckle etc when inside. I also love that I can put toys on the hooks so I'm not retrieving stuff off the floor, also the front pocket stores his cheerios etc. Also use all the time in restaurants, the toy hooks are awesome then too. We had a cute girlie one for DD and DS has a green one with footballs on it (got it from covers4kids). I don't really have to wash it that often, but even then not a big deal...and I generally don't put it back in its carry pocket in the car, just roll it up and throw in the back. It's one of my top 10 fav's when I have friend who wants ideas on what they should get for a baby...

Nooknookmom
02-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Everytime I go to the store. I have a buggy bagg & it sits right in the cart. I can stick it in there w/ one hand. DD giggles when she sees it & clamors to get in!

Love it - but the BB is too big to stick in high chairs. Need to find one for that too.

maestramommy
02-20-2008, 06:20 PM
I did start putting Dora in the shopping cart around 10 months, and I did use the shopping cart cover. We also used it for restaurant high chairs. We still use the cover for shopping carts. But most of the time until I got a little too preggo Dora was on my back in a meitai, just like you and Avery. It's whatever works best for you. Nowadays Dora is always in the cart, Arwyn on my back.

I have recently hear that the cover doesn't do all that great of job of protecting the LO from germs unless you wash it often. But I was using it more to keep Dora's fingers and toes from getting caught between the bars of the cart. As for germs, you do what you can, but for the rest, whatever.....

sgmango
02-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Yes, most of the time. I do occasionally get lazy about it, but carts are so visibly dirty that I think it's very necessary to use one!

dsb22
02-22-2008, 08:16 PM
All the time. Mine lives in the car too. I wash it only periodically b/c only the outside comes in contact with the cart. It's very light and has handles, so is easy to sling over my shoulder (along w- diaper bag) if I don't happen to put dd in the cart until we get inside. I'm not a big germaphobe but shopping carts do oog me out.

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/features/germiest-places-america?page=3

bunyvet
02-22-2008, 10:39 PM
I keep mine in the car and always use it-- I am not so much a germophobe but I do find that the belt keeps him in place well and that he squirms less with the comfy padded cover. Also, the places to clip toys or sippy cup leashes make it really worthwhile!
I will say though, that I do find many of them to be a pain to put onto the cart while holding a wiggly toddler-- even if the site says that they are easy to attach!
HTH,
Andrea

cath_b
09-05-2008, 05:00 AM
I leave mine in the car and mostly use it for padding and protection (hot or cold cart) not germs (those things are everywhere anyway) and to prevent my baby's leg from getting those marks from the cart. But there are some carts that are just utterly disgusting, I wouldn't even put the cart cover over the cart let alone the baby. Have you seen those carts? The dirt and oil is caked on or pasted! It feels grimmy and sticky. When I know I have to go to that store I leave the baby at home.

KBecks
09-05-2008, 06:27 AM
I never bought one because I know that I would not want to haul it around. But I am not that worried about germs.

lorinick
09-05-2008, 09:11 AM
I wouldn't think of putting my 13mt old in a shopping cart without it. I also use it in the mall and going out to eat. Those hi chairs out are gross too. I leave it in the back of my SUV. I don't think much of toting in to resturants. In the mall I put it in my stroller basket. It even fits in the Mac basket.

kate909
09-05-2008, 10:29 AM
I used to use mine a lot, but it was a cheaper version I got as a shower gift and it didn't cover the sides of the cart, just the front and back. So, I pretty much gave up on it, but I do have a purse-size bottle of Lysol I spray the cart down with before I put DS in. I just can't stand the ick factor of him touching the cart!

Nooknookmom
09-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Yesssssssss! Every time I have put her in w/out it she has gotten sick.

We have the Buggy Bagg. It is like a little couch!

:)

racerl1
09-06-2008, 09:51 AM
We used ours all the time with DS#1 - in shopping carts & in restaurant high chairs. I actually registered for another one for DS#2, because I shrunk the first one in the washer. I couldn't have shopped or eaten out without it!

mdb78
09-06-2008, 11:55 PM
All the time! I also keep it in my car. Use it with shopping carts and resturant high chairs. :)

chessie
09-07-2008, 02:14 AM
All the time when my little guy was younger, now that he's 22 months we're a little lazy. We used it lots as a highchair cover, and for shopping carts. I got mine from Kozypals.

Swimfreak78
09-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Of the ones of you that use a cover - which one is best? I also want one that will fit the giant baskets at BJ's.

WatchingThemGrow
09-07-2008, 02:49 PM
We use the machine washable infantino one. It's not perfect but the little pillow is helpful for keeping them upright when they're new at sitting. It doesn't cover the sides, but I try to wipe them down anyway.

You asked about the giant carts, and well...the Infantino ones fit on one side of the double carts. I don't use one for the bigger kids because 1) I don't like to take her to Sam's with me and 2) she's not mouthing everything like DS does. I think I have seen some with leg holes for 2 DC, but no idea on which site.

srhs
09-07-2008, 03:07 PM
fwiw, they have various infantino ones at tjmaxx right now, & I got a nice one at marshalls this spring.
t1h

nupe
09-07-2008, 03:48 PM
I used mine w/DS1 from the ages of 1 to about 3. Now with DS2, I tend to take him in a stroller and carry a basket, or have DS1 push the double basket holder contraption (like at Whole Foods), and stick the other stuff I'm buying right into my reusable WF bag!!

I keep the sew cute boutique cover in this organizer in my trunk, along w/change of clothes, paper towels, etc:
http://www.caselogic.com/trunk_organizer_with_cooler/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=57137

For a cart cover that will definitely fit sams/costco, I have seen this online:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=11230496&search=cart%20cover&Mo=0&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=cart%20cover&Ntt=cart%20cover&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

codex57
09-08-2008, 05:23 PM
I have an Infantino one that fits Costco carts. It's a blue hawaiin print one with toys attached (one's a lion that plays a song).

Works well enough. I like how it's @$35 instead of $60+ like a lot of the designer ones.

tylersmama
09-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Ours is a kozypal, and I love it. It easily fits Costco carts. She by far has the cutest fabrics available, IMO, and it's very well made. www.kozypalcartcovers.com

cath_b
09-09-2008, 12:44 AM
I have the Floppy Seat ABC and it fits Costco carts as well as Target carts. I like how it has a built in carry bag, just roll and tuck.

They have new mod designs, very pretty and the price has doubled. Crazy, huh?

GraceH
09-14-2008, 07:03 AM
Short answer: yes.
Long answer: when someone gave it to me as a gift, I almost thought about returning it - but months later when my DS reached the try to EAT or LICK EVERYTHING stage, I suddenly realized that it was a must have (I'm not a germ freak, but IMHO shopping cart germs, not to mention packages of raw meat sold, etc., are way different than home/family germs)... the plan: I leave the cover in the car that currently has the car seat base, so most of the time, I have it with... plan B: I got a free sample can of Lysol to Go spray - it lives in my diaper bag - I spray the cart basket and then drape a baby blanket (also in diaper bag for nursing, etc.) over the front of the basket for little hands to hold/play with and little mouths to chew on...

shoremom
09-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Never used mine. It was just another thing to carry. Also, the notion of the germs that now would be on the cover and coming home with us didn't sit well with me. I wasn't about to wash it every time I used it. I won't put ds in a cart/seat that looks remotely too "germy". Also, I just carry around sanitizer wipes with me to give the cart/seat a quick wipe and ds's hands afterwards.

My girlfriend also reminded me that the covers weren't around when her girls were young and they are doing just fine. :love5:

Maggie'sMom
09-17-2008, 10:12 PM
We use ours all the time. DD loves having toys attached to it to play with while shopping. Also, we dine out a lot and use ours on high chairs. We keep one in each car and have a spare in case one is dirty.

nfowife
09-18-2008, 12:48 AM
I had an angelyn rose one for DD and used it a ton on carts, highchairs, even park swings! Got a sewcute with DS and really didn't use it much. Maybe 2 or 3 times. It just got to be too much to deal with with 2 kids. And he's okay so far :) .

QTMichele
10-10-2008, 11:41 PM
Love it and used it all the time with my DD - plan to use it with this little one too. :)

I have a Buggy Bagg, which has carrying handles - super easy to keep in the car, grab when at the store, put it in the cart and... the BEST part... put my child in the cart without any hassle!!! My DD never complained about being wheeled around in the store when we used the Buggy Bagg; however, her legs hurt her and she was uncomfortable when I didn't use it (which was RARE). The germs, including fecal matter from other children, in the cart doesn't appeal to me either, of course, but knowing that I'll have a relatively hassle free shopping trip trumps everything else!

jgenie
10-11-2008, 05:07 AM
We use ours all the time. When I look at the state the carts are in I wouldn't think of not using one. I hate to shop on my own because I can't use it!

TonFirst
11-11-2008, 09:58 PM
All. the. time. I got one when DD#1 was a few months old, used it with her until she was over two & have used it with DD#2 since I was able to put her into a shopping cart & will continue to use it for months to come. I am one who feels they are invaluable. I have no problem putting it on one handed. Store it in the back of our SUV, no I don't fold it up or anything, just toss it in there. Doesn't bother me that way, there's plenty of room. It keeps the cart cooler in the summer & warmer in the winter. And don't get me started on the germ factor. I'm not a total germophobe and am even less so with DD#2 but shopping carts are one of those things that totally gross me out.

Exactly what she said. I ordered mine from Sew Cute when my son was born. I also use it every time we use a restaurant high chair.

AngelaS
11-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Three kids, never owned one, never wanted one.

ebjw
11-12-2008, 10:55 AM
I am getting one and I know I will use it. Every time I see a baby in a cart without one it grosses me out! And it amazes me how many people with or without babies don't use the sanitizing wipes that most stores have available next to the carts these days!