PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

C99
10-27-2003, 11:49 PM
When I took Nate in for his 9-month well-baby check-up today, I found out that our favorite pediatrician has left the practice. He saw the "name" doctor in the practice today and although she came highly recommended, she just didn't "wow" me. We've seen the other 2 remaining peds in the practice and I didn't like them very much. So now that my favorite ped has left, I'm thinking about switching pediatrician offices. What would you do?

The arguments for staying are:
- good front office staff
- good nursing staff (they are great about returning calls and answering questions)
- take our insurance
- expanded office hours, including Saturdays
- Nate is familiar with the office by now

But I don't know. I really liked the doctor who left (she moved back to her hometown to take care of her terminally ill dad, so it's not like I can just follow her to her new practice) and just didn't get that same feeling from any of the other peds.

Any suggestions?

newbelly2002
10-28-2003, 04:23 AM
No suggestions, but only sympathies as we're in the same boat. The ped I like is still practicing, but the front office won't tell me where. Personally, I think the doc is really the endstop. As such, it's crucial that I trust h/her. The other stuff (office, etc) is nice, but not the deciding factor. We're shopping for a new ped as we speak which is just really not any fun. The old one was within walking distance. Grr....

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/1/02

etwahl
10-28-2003, 08:02 AM
no suggestions either, since i've yet to find a great ped (but moving around doesn't help). but if i did find a great one, i'd be sad if he or she moved.

i do have a question though, they never told me to bring lauren in for a 9 month well-baby checkup. i guess it's standard to do so though? i guess i didn't ask when her next appt was, but shouldn't the ped have mentioned it? it's not like our insurance doesn't cover well-baby checkups like some. ours does. what do they do at the 9 month checkup?

one positive about your office is the saturday and extended hours. if that's important to you, maybe you could find another office with the same. what about calling your old doctor and seeing if she can recommend someone else outside of that office?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

bluej
10-28-2003, 08:53 AM
I would go w/ Tammy's suggestion of calling her and asking who she would recommend. My kids' Dr. is taking a couple of months off. He was nice (and in my opinion) responsible by letting us know three months ahead of time and provided us w/ a few Doctors' he notified ahead of time to cover his case load. On that list we were able to find someone we were equally comfortable w/ to care for the kids while he is gone.

Andrea S
10-28-2003, 10:18 AM
Are you close to Arlington Heights? I really like my ped they have extended hours including evenings and sat. and if you call with a questions you get to talk to a nurse right away and the Dr. will call back if they could not help. The Dr. even called me a couple days after I called about a fever to see how Andrew was feeling.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

drsweetie
10-28-2003, 01:12 PM
I'm not in this situation per se, but I know what you mean about wondering whether or not to leave that practice. I hate our pediatrician -- he is smug and glib and doesn't know beans about behavior management (important because DH and I are psychologists!). BUT he and his staff are familiar with Laura's medical history (heart surgery at 2 weeks old), he's the only pediatrician in town whose office is located inside the hospital (which is good because Laura often needs X-rays to monitor fluid retention), and Laura's cardiologist has a satellite office inside the ped.'s office suite. So we're staying with him for the time being, but I still have fantasies of dumping his sorry butt.

Ellen
Mom to Laura 6/9/03