PDA

View Full Version : First time Mom needs help finding a peditrician

klc92201
11-17-2004, 02:28 PM
I am 6 months pregnant and wondered when I should start to look for a peditrician? I don't want to start too early but don't want to be rushed, especially with the Christmas Holiday's coming up. What things should I look for in a peditrician? Should they let us come in for a consultation before the baby is born? Is it important for them to have rights to the hospital I am delivering at or is the hospitals doctor OK? I feel funny asking my doctor at my 28 week appointment, is that too early? Help, I am a first time Mom that is totally lost on this one...

Heather

mattiew
11-17-2004, 04:02 PM
Start looking now and begin by asking everyone you know with children who their pediatrician is and if they are happy with them (what they like and don't like). In addition to finding someone with an excellent reputation and that you are comfortable with, you will want an office that is convenient to you. Most offices have an open house where you can tour the office and ask questions; these fill up quickly so you need to reserve spaces ASAP. The pediatric group you chose will see the baby before he/she leaves the hospital.

Good luck!
Carrie

staceywj
11-17-2004, 10:10 PM
I also think it is not too early to start looking. If you do have any friends with children ask if you could tag along with them when they have a visit.
I looked for: how clean the office was, if there was a sick and well waiting room, what happens after hours, is there a time each day to call the dr. and ask questions, etc.
Good Luck