PDA

View Full Version : A FREE alternative to cord blood banking

phirey
08-28-2003, 08:53 PM
Before everyone jumps on the bandwagon to store blood for a future "what if?" I urge you to consider another option: Cord Blood Donation. I agree that it is a waste to literally throw away the valuable stem cells contained in baby's umbilical cord blood. But unless you have a known genetic disorder that runs in your family, the opportunity to use banked cord blood rarely presents itself.

Carefully weigh your options, and if you decide that banking is not for you and your family, please at least consider umbilical cord blood donation. It is free to you, and the cells donated are used to cure or treat dozens of different diseases or disorders. If no match is found, the cells are used for research to find even more diseases it may be useful in treating.

If interested, please check out the Babies For Life website: http://www.babiesforlife.org/

I don't work for these folks, but I did donate my baby's blood, and I'm proud to have helped one of the worthiest causes I know of...

nathansmom
08-29-2003, 01:34 PM
We donated Nathans blood. We decided that we'd donate and help someone.

SASM
08-29-2003, 04:40 PM
Oh...I am soooo happy this is here!!! Cord blood donation is sooo important!!! You would be amazed at how many disorders, besides blood disorders, can be treated with a cord blood transplant. Another good site to check out is www.cryo-intl.com. Keep in mind ~ you need to have the paperwork in BY 35 WEEKS GESTATION. It is NOT a last-minute procedure.

PLEASE consider this option. There is NO COST to you and it is NOT painful for you or your baby. Only a few minutes of your time might save another child's life.

Thank you!

MartiesMom2B
08-30-2003, 09:22 PM
Thanks for posting this. Looking back I wish I donated our cord blood. My dad, mom, and I used to work at a Genetics and IVF business and they do cord blood banking. My mom told me that I should bank the blood because if something ever happened to my child I would regret not banking it. I couldn't justify the cost of banking the blood though, and from what I read if your child has leukemia the cord blood isn't good anyway. I wish I had received more information about donating rather than numerous offers to bank it. So I do encourage those who are thinking about it to check the above sites.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

August Mom
09-03-2003, 01:42 PM
We donated as well, but we did not fill out any paperwork in advance. It was all done in the hospital, so even if you are past 35 weeks and are interested in this, I would check with your doctor or delivery hospital. You still may be able to donate. Upon check-in, I was asked whether we wanted to donate. When I said yes, a representative from the cord blood donation program came to see me, discussed what would happen, etc. After I had DS, the representative came to see me again (the next day I think), took my blood and had me fill out a multiple page questionnaire (with some pretty strange questions). Plus, we were told that should we ever need cord blood for treatment, we would have priority status because we donated.

McQ
09-05-2003, 10:47 AM
We tried donating ours but the hospital said they were not able to collect enough. I was so upset because I really believe in making use of something that offers others so many possibilities. I delievered in the Invoa hospital system and the program that they work with allows you to get your donation back for free if you ever need it and it hasn't already been used.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

Fairy
08-15-2004, 01:11 PM
I don't think this is so. From what I understand, the cord blood can be used if you are trying to treat many forms of Lieukemia. I am not a medical professional or genetecist, but this is not my understanding. Those reading this should do their homework and find out for sure. Even if you can't, you can treat so many other things RIGHT NOW. The uses for cord blood down the road are only going to increase. It's an insurance policy, plain and simple. The diff is that this one could possibly determine life or death.