PDA

View Full Version : Did you do cord blood banking?

StaceyKim
07-09-2004, 07:28 PM
Didn't do it the first time but I am doing this time around.
Just curious what others have done...

JenCA
07-09-2004, 07:55 PM
I did not do it with my DD and do not plan to do it with any future children.

Marisa6826
07-09-2004, 08:53 PM
Stace-

We thought long and hard about doing it and also discussed it at length with both our genetic counselor and OB.

We decided the donate the cord blood because the likelihood of us needing versus a child that was already ill was significantly lower. It's also not cheap thing to do over the long term. The hospital that I delivered Sophie at (and will deliver at again) happens to have a cord blood bank. It might be worth looking into at your hospital.

I would hate to be at the mercy of another family for a match. It was the least that we could do.

-m

Momof3Labs
07-09-2004, 09:16 PM
We did it with Colin for very specific reasons (risk factors), not just on general principles, and are glad that we did. With #2, we may bank or we may donate, I'm not sure yet. But we definitely won't throw the blood away - it is way too valuable to someone!!

barbarhow
07-09-2004, 09:50 PM
I voted yes but I need to qualify it. We were all signed up to do it and sent the package off but apparently they did not get enough blood. I think we would do it again. I don't know. I would check the literature before making the decision.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

Karenn
07-09-2004, 10:49 PM
We considered it, but discovered that it was not yet an option at the hospital where we were delivering. I haven't asked about it yet this time.

jd11365
07-09-2004, 10:54 PM
We did it for the "Just in Case" factor... We think we got the best deal w/ New England Cord Blood Bank @ $1,300 for 20 years. We will donate next time but are happy w/ our decision to bank the first go around.

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

dowlinal
07-10-2004, 12:20 AM
We debated it for a long time especially since our situation is such that it could possibly be useful. (very highly unlikely but slightly more than the average risk) We were really hung up on the cost and finally decided that if we didn't do this and we some day needed it we would never forgive ourselves. I definately felt like the ads were emotional blackmail but the whole what if factor really sucked me in. Plus, we actually know someone whose uncle was able to benefit from the cord blood of one of his grandchildren. Now that we did it for our first we will definately be doing it for future children.

MelissaTC
07-10-2004, 12:34 AM
We actually donated the cord blood to the Duke bank. We figured it would be awful to waste it. Other than an annoying blood draw and some paperwork, it was relatively easy.

jubilee
07-10-2004, 01:27 AM
I wanted to donate my cord blood, but when I sent in the questionaire I was disqualified (I think because of being on high blood pressure meds). I was sad, because I think it's such an important thing.

starrynight
07-10-2004, 02:24 AM
Never have, never would. I have read that the child it is banked from won't be able to use it in the event they get sick enough to need it so the cost wasn't justifiable to us. I did want to donate it but the hospital I had my girls at wouldn't do it and when ds was born it wasn't really a big thing yet.

StaceyKim
07-10-2004, 06:08 PM
>>I have read that the child it is banked from won't be able to use it in the event they get sick enough to need it so the cost wasn't justifiable to us>>

actually it is just the opposite.

http://www.cordblood.com/expectingparents/faqs/cord_blood.asp#5

McQ
07-10-2004, 08:29 PM
Our hospital has a program where you can donate the cord blood. And you can get it back free of charge if you ever need it and they still have it. I think that's an awesome gift.

We tried to donate the cord blood from Declan's delivery but the hospital said they didn't collect enough. That was the only down thing about his whole birth experience. I felt awful that I didn't have enough to give and that what I had was wasted.

I plan to donate this time too.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

kristine_elen
07-11-2004, 10:36 AM
We really considered it, but the more I read about it the more I wasn't convinced that it made sense to do it. I wasn't sure these companies would be around in the long term. I think it's a great idea, I just wasn't sure we were at a point yet where it could be trusted. We did send drops of Jack's blood to a special lab to test for more disorders than are tested for routinely in our state. Luckily nothing showed up, but my friend also did it and it showed that her son had an adrenal gland problem and the test caught it before docs figured out what was wrong with him. It's pretty cheap (less than $100 and I'd highly recommend).
ETA: We wanted to donate the cord blood, but there was literally nowhere in our state to do it. It is such a great thing, though, I hope everyone looks into it.
http://www.marrow.org/FAQS/cord_blood_faqs.html

Melanie
07-11-2004, 12:30 PM
Ds was supposed to be born at a birthing center and thus we'd made the decision for his cord not to be clamped until he got all of that valuable blood. However, he ended up being born at a hospital and of course they cut it wasting it. Since we'd not planned this, we had no kit or anything. I am sad, b/c I would have at least donated it.

With #2 we will have the same plan but I will probably get a kit for our 'back up' plan. We ended up being very lucky at the 11th hour finding an MD and hospital that suited our desires, but I want to be prepared for either option next time. Hopefully that baby will get all of it's valuable cord blood.