PDA

View Full Version : Blood Cord Storage

chantal66
03-26-2004, 12:38 AM
I have been reading on blood cord storage for the past 6 weeks and I am having a hard time deciding between the advantages of the different storage companies.

My biggest concern is transport. Can anyone confirm if transporting the blood cord via Fedex can damage the sample ?

I am looking at storing blood cord in Canada (Lifebank of Canada) as it is much cheaper than the US (and they are still accredited and offer good services of the best bank in the US for 1/2 of the price).

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chantal
Baby due April 22nd

Momof3Labs
03-26-2004, 12:56 AM
Well, you might want to decide fast - most companies require you to register at least 6 weeks before your due date.

We used CBR, but could have just as easily chose Viacord. They had the best credentials and transplant records of the companies that I looked at. We used a medical courier service to transport the cord blood since I have known FedEx to lose or misroute an occasional package (we use them a fair amount at work). Cost-wise, FedEx and the medical courier service were about the same, maybe $20-30 difference, and the courier service picked up the cord blood at the hospital for us. Also, you can't use FedEx if you have the baby on the weekend (either Sunday only or both Sat and Sun, I can't remember which) because they don't accept packages those day(s).

One concern with banking outside of the U.S. is that packages can get held up in customs. I'm not sure how human tissue is treated, but any delay can cause problems since the blood needs to be frozen within a certain window. Also, are you *certain* that you will be able to get the cord blood back across the border if you need it?

jd11365
03-26-2004, 08:25 AM
They accept on Saturday but not Sunday...but the cord blood is good for like 48 or 72 hours or something so as long as you mail it out on Saturday, it will get there Monday within the time frame. We chose the New England Cord Blood Bank... You got the most bang for the buck... I believe it was like $1,400 or so all up front...no yearly fees to worry about...I'd rather just pay and get it out of the way and not have to worry about it again than pay the yearly fees...and you got 20 years.

http://www.cordbloodbank.com/

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03