PDA

View Full Version : Donating cord blood...

SASM
12-16-2002, 12:18 AM
Hi girls and guys!

I have been trying to get this out to my MANY girlfriends and family members who are currently pregnant and then I thought of you. If you are NOT considering storing your cord blood, PLEASE (beg...beg) consider donating your cord blood. IT CAN SAVE A LIFE in so many ways!!! So few people know about cord blood transplants as a possible alternative to bone marrow transplantation - mainly for CHILDREN due to the amount collected - for cancers, genetic diseases, and many more conditions. THERE IS NO HARM TO YOU OR YOUR BABY!!!

Cryobanks International has a cord donation program. You can contact them at 800.869.8608 or www.cryo-intl.com

Please consider it!!

Thank you.

Sharyn
EDD #1 01.21.03

LD92599
12-16-2002, 12:46 AM
Thank you so much for posting this! I have been meaning to look into it and everything I've seen re: Cord Blood is in regard to storage, not donation. I just sent away for more info, so we'll see how the process goes!

Thanks again and happy holidays!

Laura
Due: Feb 26th, 2003

SASM
12-16-2002, 12:54 AM
Laura,

THANK YOU so much for your interest!!! :-) The great thing about donation, other than what I mentioned earlier, is that you can still request information up to Weeks 33-34. They just need the paperwork back to them by Week 35 to start the processing. It is so easy!!!!! And so worthwhile :-)

Thank you...thank you!!

Sharyn
EDD #1 01.21.03

Momof3Labs
12-16-2002, 03:13 AM
Sharyn,

Good for you for posting this! We banked Colin's cord blood because of a history of leukemia on both sides of the family, but otherwise we would have donated it. In fact, DH's life was saved by a bone marrow transplant. I highly recommend donating cord blood - there is NO risk or cost to mom or baby. You just need to start the process early enough, as someone mentioned.

I hope that a few more people do this after reading your message!

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

SASM
12-17-2002, 11:29 PM
Thanks, Lori.

It such an important matter that so few people know about. I just wish that I put up a more "appealing" subject title to draw more people :-(

How is your husband doing now??

Sharyn

Momof3Labs
12-18-2002, 03:09 PM
Sharyn,

DH will celebrate 10 years post-transplant at the end of May 2003! So, he's doing great. No relapses since his transplant, although it is always a long road to recovery.

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

sntm
12-18-2002, 03:14 PM
No! Great that you did this research. I always assumed I could just tell someone when the baby was born.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

SASM
12-18-2002, 06:14 PM
Lori,

That is wonderful!!! It is so great to hear of long-term survivors of BMTs :-) I have so many questions but they would be too personal... Your honey is a true miracle :-) Enjoy every moment together and I will pray that you will never need to use Colin's cord blood.

Take care.

Sharyn
EDD #1 01.21.03