PDA

View Full Version : Adopting in 5 weeks

mom to be
10-03-2003, 10:42 AM
Hi! My DH and I are waiting for our baby to be born. The birthmom asked us to be at the hospital when she delivers. We are so excited!!! But I am going nuts just waiting...she's due in 5 weeks. What can I do while I'm waiting????? Help!!!

nathansmom
10-03-2003, 06:42 PM
I'm excited for you!!!! The only thing I can suggest is get all the sleep you can. When that baby gets here your not going to get a good nights sleep for a long time.

Momof3Labs
10-03-2003, 07:55 PM
Sleep, do laundry, wash bottles, make dinners to put in the freezer, clean your house (think spring cleaning - it will be awhile before you have the time and energy again). Nesting kind of stuff!

Congratulations!! Keep us posted in the impending arrival!

kalebsmama
10-04-2003, 09:04 PM
I'll second all the other ideas. Also, go register somewhere. We were given showers after DS was born since we didn't have much advance notice that he was coming, but you'll need some things to tide you over. Sleepers, onesies, bottles, carseat, diapers etc. Many of my friends loaned me things until we had our showers like receiving blankets, bathtub, bottle warmer. You'll be worn out after baby arrives and won't want to rush right out to shop for things!
I am so excited for you! I remember feeling the same way waiting for DS to be born even though we weren't sure we would be chosen to be his parents. Keep us posted and get lots of sleep!!!

mom to be
10-06-2003, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the great advice! I want to get all the nesting things done, but I'm nervous that if I start buying things I will curse myself and this adoption will fall through. I don't want to come home to a house full of baby stuff and no baby. Am I just being paranoid???

MartiesMom2B
10-06-2003, 11:47 AM
You are definitely not paranoid. Of course you want everything to be ready for the baby to come. I was worried that I would go into labor early and have nothing for the baby!

Congratulations on the baby. I'm so happy for you.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

kalebsmama
10-07-2003, 08:08 AM
I was also afraid that I would "curse" myself if I bought things so I just registered and didn't buy. I picked a random date for the due date. I had some clothes that were hand-me-downs and the day we got the call that DS was born, I did major laundry to get it all ready! I also went to BRU the next day and got the carseat a few other things that we needed right away. DS stayed in the hospital 3 days and we could visit as much as we wanted but couldn't really stay there all day/night so I had time to get some things done. (my friend came over to paint the nursery during this time-nothing like last minute planning!) Also, SIL went out and picked up diapers, wipes and formula (after we found out what he was taking)
So, no, I don't think you're being paranoid! I felt the same way and I think others do too!
Good luck!!

Rachels
10-13-2003, 11:41 AM
Just wanted to congratulate you on your daughter-to-be! We can't wait to hear about her birth. I say go ahead and allow yourself to get ready for her. I can't imagine the agony of having an adoption fall through, but I'm inclined to think that that would be a pretty horrific loss whether or not you had baby clothes in the house. Preparing for your daughter's birth is NOT going to somehow cause things to fall through. I'm going to keep my thoughts toward celebrating on your behalf!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Melanie
10-16-2003, 10:09 AM
Congratulations. My first thought was "shop & nest!" For some reason having the entire house nicer than it had ever been was important to me. I was touch-up painting everywhere. LOL.
I guess it was b/c subconciously I knew stuff that like would never get done again! =)