PDA

View Full Version : Steve's job starts adoption benefits right a way!!!

NEVE and TRISTAN
01-06-2004, 04:56 PM
I am so excited...we thought they don't start reimbursing for a year, thus thought we'd have to put everything off...according to HR they start the day health insurance starts which would be Feb 1st...and they give you paid 4 weeks leave from the second the adoption is completed!!!!

Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

JMarie
01-06-2004, 10:06 PM
Congratulations, Neve! I'm sure you are beyond excited. Please, keep us posted on your progress!

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher
01/28/03

houseof3boys
01-06-2004, 10:29 PM
That is fantastic news Neve! I don't think that is a common thing so it must have been in the cards for you guys all along. :)

MartiesMom2B
01-06-2004, 11:21 PM
Along the lines of what Debbi said, this is a true sign that adoption was meant to be for you guys!

Congrats!!

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

NEVE and TRISTAN
01-06-2004, 11:32 PM
That's so my feeling too...
The upside is they give back $5,000 per child (or up to), and you are privi to that according to the HR gal who called today once your beneifts start which would be February. The immediate downside is to go to Ukraine you could be there 30 days so he'll have to tread lightly how comfortable he feels about taking advantage of it this year (late in the year) or next. If we do it late in the year it is cold as a witches boob and I have heard roads are dangerous and in many areas once you get your referral then you have a good 12-14 hours to drive to see the child(ren). So would I rather see children running on a play ground (spring summer), or coming out to meet me all bundled up and I can't see them and they are shivering(my Raleigh friend who adopted described that scenerio to me)...

BUT I am thrilled that they can reimburse me as I write checks on this side of the pond, for social worker, documents etc... because I easily will spend the $5,000 before I travel. But then documents expire after 12 months...so it really is all so confusing...

I heard today that they no longer (as of Novemenber) allow you to adopt two children unrelated there in one trip...I am not certain I beleive that in that I have never heard that from any other source...

SAS evidently has an adoption support program too so I hope they can help figure out what to do...

Wouldn't it be great if I get pregnant now (Robitussin here we come)...and then adopt in the spring next year...I think I am routing for that...and then starting the documents (some I have to redo for I have already done them) in summer of this year so the 12months doesn't go by...

Neve
Feb 25, 2003

Kimberly H
01-07-2004, 07:28 AM
Neve, have you considered traveling alone to Ukraine? I don't know if their program allows it, I just know China's does. If you travel alone, the adoption is not considered final in the U.S. and you have to jump through more hoops, but it might be an option for you time-wise with Steve's job and if you don't want to take the T-ster with you.

Things to think about on this journey are never-ending, aren't they? :)

Congrats again on SAS! BC/BS is the only major insurance company that doesn't offer adoption benefits of any kind to their employees, just FMLA as required by law. A few of the BC/BS "franchises" have decided to offer benefits, but not the company as a whole. So not only do I not get any funds from the company, I also don't get any monies at all while I'm gone, just the 50 or so hours of leave time I've been able to hoard. I might have to go back to work earlier just for my paycheck. AAARRRGGGHHH! At least I'm happy with Mia's daycare, right?

back to packing....

hjdong
01-07-2004, 01:08 PM
Wow! With $5000 back and the $10,000 tax credit, it amkes adoption practically affordable!

The weather thing made me laugh because my FIL desperately wants to come to China with us but wonders if "we couldn't wait until spring - it's so cold in China now." And we, of course, would leave tomorrow!

Good luck!

NEVE and TRISTAN
01-07-2004, 01:17 PM
Keep us posted, we'll be thinking about you!!!
I am so ignornant is China the weather in China, but I do know the weather is Russia and Ukraine appears to be unbearable, the good news for you is you have a referal...in Ukraine you don't get it till you are there...so when the children come out all bundled up and you can only see their eyes (that is what my firend described) and the smile (if they hve one) is hidden under a scarf and they are shuttering and not playing it must be so hard to "study" them...and in reverse them study you too.

I'd love my parents to travel with us but they discourage that and bringing Tristan...but since the savings maybe I can pour some of that money into some luxuiries over there that I wouldn't normally have.

In all honesty I suspect with the credit and reimbursement that evey penny can be paid in our adoption. We jsut have to write the checks up front and then get it back...I forgot what we paid federally last year, we have some huge deductions as it is with the house mortgage so it might be paid back over two years cosnidering we are getting two children we hope...

Neve
Feb 25, 2003

NEVE and TRISTAN
01-14-2004, 10:18 AM
For some odd reason I just re read this thread and thought I should clarify...if I had a picture of a child and knew who I was going for I'd travel during ANYTHING!!!!!!!

Keep in mind in my situation UKRAINE...you have to travel, wait around in an Adoption Center and be given a referal there that you then can have to travel 13 hours (one way) to see, and then evaluate (possibly with a coat, hat, mittens and just eyes showing)...

Add to that the weight on my heart seeing all of those children freezing etc...

So the decision on when to travel for us is different is totally different...I jusy wanted to clarify that so you didn't think I coukd sit here waiting till the sun came out:)...

Also if that referal does not pan out, you turn back around and wait in that adoption center again just to trun around and do it again possbily two weeks later...

The roads are vERY dangerous in Ukraine, the drivers are VERY bad in Ukraine, and adoptive parents have been killed in these travels to see children due to the situation, ice etc...so that is also my fear. I have been told that there are no seat belts, and you are not the one driving it is a "driver'...with having a baby at home I can't take that chance in that situation in Ukraine...Tristan needs his mommy and daddy safe over there...

Neve
Feb 25, 2003

hjdong
01-14-2004, 12:47 PM
To tell you the turth - I hadn't thought that. I just meant to point out that we had hoped to travel in the spring and it hadn't worked out! Having been through the process, I know how extremely countries differ in their process. I hope you didn't think I was thinking poorly!

I can't imagine the matching process for you. I'm sure it will be a mixture of joyful and melancholy. Do you get to adopt the baby in the same trip, or do you have to go back? I know some countries do that and that would tear me up (as I'm sure it does to the parents who adopt there).

Again, I hope you didn't think I was thinking poorly. Sometimes, I don't type as clearly as I think!

NEVE and TRISTAN
01-14-2004, 01:03 PM
No..No...I didn't think that...I really after re reading today thought to myself did I make myself look "poorly" in that, and without explaining the procedure over there I could have...

Many times the 30 day "wait fee: is waived by a judge (usually via bribery I think), or by highering a "connected" facilitator (which I have done)...but if not you do have to wait.

I thought the "wait" would be hell but then I met someone from Raleigh who had the "wait" and she said it was a sort of blessing because you don't know if you need a crib at home or a bed (since you don't know the child you are getting when you leave) so due to this this allows you to come home and get prepared...
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

JulieL
01-23-2004, 05:51 PM
Neve,
I think you are totally couragous to try to have that many little ones! I really hope this works out for you. I have several family memebers who have adopted children. These children have completely enriched their lives as well as the whole family. Good luck to you and all the others trying to adopt!