PDA

View Full Version : It's Mia Day!

Kimberly H
01-11-2004, 04:43 PM
Okay, time-confused folks... will receive Mia about 9:30am Monday morning, which for East Coast people, will be about 8:30pm on Sunday night. I think I've confused more people this way!

Here's my journal entry for this morning --

Monday, January 12, 2004 – Hefei, Anhui, PRC

It’s 4:30am and I can’t sleep anymore…today we get our Mia.

Robert and I are sleeping in two double beds with hard mattresses, soft pillows and goose down duvets. Beside my bed is the Pack ‘N Play-style crib and umbrella stroller, both waiting in our room from the hotel. I forgot to tell you yesterday that when we got to our hotel room (with a lovely view of the street and nearby industrial plant, a payback from having a suite in Beijing, I suppose), we found the crib and stroller already in our room – the crib set up with a comforter and tiny flat pillow – as well as a 1st foods size jar of Heinz baby food applesauce and a card from the hotel telling us the food was a gift from them. We also had a letter thanking us for adopting a baby from Anhui province and telling us our “cute little kid” was welcome. What an amazing welcome from people half a world away that we don’t even know!

It will come as no surprise to anyone that when I walked into the room and saw the crib and stroller, I finally lost it. Robert immediately took me into his arms and rocked me, well used to tears at unexpected times. I felt extra comforted when I looked across the hall into Alex and Laurel’s room and spotted him holding and rocking her too. I was not alone!

Two of our traveling companions brought their 3 year old little girls, 1 bio and 1 ChinaBaby, and they’ve been so much fun! We sat sanwiched between Alyssa (CB) and Hannah (bio) on the plane and Alyssa would stick her hand between the seats and reach back to us so we could play with her fingers. Alyssa’s mommy, Mo, also gave Robert a tube of Skippy peanut butter. I think he’d leave me for Mo in a heartbeat at that moment! Hannah was behind us with her grandmother, talking a mile a minute. Grandma Rita was so patient, answering her questions and redirecting her when she could no longer understand the topic of conversation. The two families also sat near us at dinner and the girls were so fun to watch. They’ve both been very friendly with us, Alyssa a little more than Hannah, but both have been open to playing with us.

(sorry for being so disjointed but I’m typing as things come to mind and I don’t want to waste the battery power editing so you’re getting this pretty raw)

Last night after dinner, Robert went down to the front desk to change some US funds for RMB to use to pay fees today. It all looks like Monopoly money to me – they could be giving me change for $5 instead of $100 and I’d be none the wiser…at first. The exchange rate is about $1 to 8.2RMB so it’s a little tougher to figure the US/China rate on the fly – my 8’s tables were not my best!

Time to sign off and save battery power for MiaINFO - I hope to find an adapter so I can both write more and post photos. Wish me luck!

The next time I talk to you, I'll have Mia where she belongs...right here with her mommy and daddy.

Love to all from Hefei,
Kimberly

kensjen
01-11-2004, 05:36 PM
I just wanted to reply and tell you how happy I am for you!

I've been following this adventure with you for awhile, and it's so nice to see Mia Day come! I can't wait to see photos. Enjoy your trip, and your special little girl....I'll be thinking of you.

God bless.

jojo2324
01-11-2004, 06:43 PM
Kimberly, I just lost it, and I only got to the line about the PNP and stroller near your bed! Counting the minutes for you...It's almost 3 hours away, EST...:D

blnony
01-11-2004, 06:56 PM
Kimberly-
You made me cry!!!! :) (happy tears of course!)
I'm so happy for you, Mia and your entire family. I hope everything goes perfectly you all. I can't wait to see a new picture of her!!

jd11365
01-11-2004, 09:27 PM
Kimberly,
I'm so excited! It's 8:18 pm EST and I'm so nervous and excited for you. How sweet about the babyfood and welcome from the hotel...the whole thing is such a tear jerker, but that did it for me. Congratulations!!!! I know I speak for everyone when I say PICTURES, PICTURES, PICTURES!!!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

egoldber
01-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Kimberly, tears of joy here as well! Congratulations!!!

LD92599
01-11-2004, 09:48 PM
Kimberly:

It's 8:40pm so you must have Mia in your arms now! Congrats :-) Please post pics when you can!

Laura
mom to William

ismommy
01-11-2004, 10:27 PM
Kimberly,

You must be holding Mia now. Your post brought tears to my eyes. WHat a wonderful day:)

Helene
mommy to Isabella 9/19/01

mharling
01-11-2004, 10:59 PM
By now you have probably met Mia and are on cloud nine!!! I'm so happy for you and your special, little Mia. :)

http://www.auction-pix.com/katasha/stuff/snowman.gif Mary & Lane 4/6/03

Momof3Labs
01-11-2004, 11:12 PM
Mia is now right where she belongs - with her new FAMILY!! Oh, happy day for all of you!!

Roleysmom
01-11-2004, 11:29 PM
Kimberly, your post brought tears to my eyes. I bet as I write this you and your DH are hugging your precious Mia. Congratulations and best wishes to you all.

Paula-- mom to Roley Julia -- 01-04-02