PDA

View Full Version : China adoptions...which agency and did you like them

NEVE and TRISTAN
01-25-2004, 03:26 PM
My neighbor is looking for an agency right now for china...
Kim I know you are in NC...that might be of interest to her who you used if you feel comfie telling her...
Thanks,
Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

crl
01-25-2004, 05:51 PM
Hi Neve,

We're in the waiting stage so can't offer feedback on referral or travel type services. We are using Wide Horizons for Children based in Mass. So far we are pleased. Our dossier went out quickly once it was finished and they have always been available to answer all my questions.

Another source of information for your neighbor, especially once she's narrowed down her choices, is apc on the Yahoo groups. With 12,000 members you're pretty sure to get some responses. Here's the link http://groups.yahoo.com/group/a-parents-china/ Your neighbor will have to join to read messages and post, but if he/she's interested in adopting from China it's a good resource anyway.

HTH,

Kimberly H
01-25-2004, 08:11 PM
Neve, we used CCAI (Chinese Children Adoption International) based in Denver, CO. Since we were DTC, CCAI has opened an office in Atlanta and that's the one your friend would use.

All in all, I was happy with CCAI. They're a very conservative larger agency run by a Chinese couple (she's an attorney) and our in-China time was unbelievably easy. I found it a little frustrating when I found out information online before my agency said anything but that's just how they are.

If we adopt again, we'll use them again.

Right now our little CCAI girl is asleep on the floor in her room where she crashed staring at her ceiling fan.

AdoptChina
01-25-2004, 09:45 PM
We also used CCAI.....I have nothing but wonderful things to say about them! I highly recommend them :)

hjdong
01-26-2004, 01:00 PM
Hi Neve - We used Holt International - also a large, conservative agency. One of the main reasons for choosing them is that they did everything (from homestudy to travel to follow-up) in our state and since it was our first time, we found that comforting. However, I found that I really appreciate their attitude. They focus on the kids rather than the adoptive parents. Sometimes, this can be frustrating, but ultimately, I feel comforted knowing that their focus is on the children.

Not in China (because of the illegality of abandoning children) but in other countries, they have programs to help keep families together, they support many foster programs, not just in the countries that they adopt out of. WIth our Jamie, because he was a waiting child, we had to go through a fairly rigourous process to show that we were the best family for him. It was terrifying and would have been heartbreaking had we been told no, but I appreciated that they looked at his needs instead of ours, even while I was biting my nails, feeling like I was going to throw up, waiting to find out if we were matched.

O.K>, that as longer than I intended - and I'm sure I could tell you more when we get back from China about their service there - but my point ultimately is that there is a philosophical difference between the agencies, and each perosn should look for one that fits them (something we didn't do, but got lucky!).