PDA

View Full Version : So stressed out!!

hjdong
01-28-2004, 09:32 PM
We are one week to travel and I had no idea I would stress out so badly! I thought that this would be the exciting, fun time (and don't get me wrong - I'm undescribably excited). But today I'm reviewing the paperwork from my agency - rereading the gift section which for whatever reason I have found to be nightmare (how many, what, etc.). I put together a photo album for the orphanage director, three gidt bags, and then ordered some stamps as "emergency" gifts. And I'm reading the gift suggestions and it says, "stamps in gift envelopes." O.K., so I have stamps in ziploc bags - decidely not gift envelopes. But instead of doing the sane thing and saying, "Alright, I'll pick up some envelopes when I'm shopping tomorrow," I obsess - "do I need gift envelopes? They're only my back-up presents. Do I have enough gift bags? Our agency says not to give gifts to government officials, but other people have. Should I have a gift just in case?" AAAAHH - I'm driving myself crazy. This line of thinking ultimately leads me to envisioning my son with pneumonia in some backwater hospital! I can't wait to be on an airplane!

Well, that rant out of the way, thanks to everyone who gave me advice on visiting the orphanage. We are planning to go, dependent on our feeling at the time.

Thanks for listening!

sjs9601
01-28-2004, 09:50 PM
Holly - I was right there with you a few months ago and ran around like a crazy person the last few days buying additional gifts. Here's the deal - no one is counting to see if you have gifts for everyone and no one will open the gifts in your presence. I gave a gift to the notary (chocolates and a local picture book), the orphanage director (some cosmetics and a local book), and made up 3-4 nanny bags. Since we adopted twins I figured we might have more nannies to cover than a single. The reality is that they gather all the gift bags up and put them in a pile and you never see them again. So don't sweat it.

And don't worry about your son - he'll be fine. We made it through 4 clinic visits and one undiscovered hernia with our daughters and everyone is now fine (let's not talk about their colds this week!)

Good Luck and enjoy your last few days of free time - it is definitely worth the wait!

Sandy
Mom to China twins - Maya and Kylie
Gotcha Day - 11/10/03

NEVE and TRISTAN
01-28-2004, 10:50 PM
Oh Holly I wish I was there to help you atleast gett he gifts so you could relax. But I am thrilled to read that they don't open them with you around!!! that is AWESOME and should lift that burden right from those shoulders!!!! :)...

We're thinking about you!!!
Big hugs,

Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

Kimberly H
01-28-2004, 11:22 PM
Holly,

BREATHE, girlfriend!

Now, doesn't that feel better? Like everyone says, don't sweat the gifts. We gave 4 total and brought 9 so the staff at the Grand Park Zenith in Hefei got a bit of a windfall. They really don't open anything in front of you - we would walk by the official, get the paper, set down the gift bag or envelope, and keep walking. TADA! Nanny and orphanage director gifts were picked up and put in a big pile by our guide.

Any more packing questions?

hjdong
01-30-2004, 04:09 PM
Thanks everyone - I'm feeling better. Did I mention that my FIL was flying in for a visit this weekend - with us leaving Weds.! I'm sure that was a lot of my stress because trip planning is more or less on hold (and for the first time, at home home ALL day with him!). He means well and is SO excited for his first grandbaby - I think I best get used to it :-)!

Also, I realized that by losing a day flying over, I have one less day to wait - it took a while for me to figure that one out!

Thanks again,

Mommie2MadLyn
01-31-2004, 12:38 AM
Holly, Hope things are looking up for you and you are de-stressing!!! Now is the time for excitment and anticipation!!! Everything will be great, and the most important thing is for you and your son to start your lives together!! So don't sweat the small stuff, like gifts and such. Good Luck, and we can't wait to see pics of your little guy!!!:D