PDA

View Full Version : Mia's doctor appt

Kimberly H
01-30-2004, 12:57 AM
Today was Mia's pediatrician appointment and she was a real trooper. Though she's just 14 mos old, we (parents and doc) made this the 15 mos appt and will bring her in to be weighed and measured at 15 mos.

Poor thing had to have both ears irrigated and then the mighty "crochet hook" was brought into the mix to help pull the nasty stuff out. It was disgusting! And absolutely amazing that she could hear anything at all. There's still stuff in the left ear (the worst one) but Doc said it was fine for today as we still had shots to do.

Doc is an adoptive mom too with a 2 year old son from Russia and is very much a believer in common sense parenting so we hit it off well. We'll see once we have a sick child visit but I'm a very picky person when it comes to docs and I think we'll be fine.

Mia is now 19.3 lbs and 29.5 in tall - such a big girl! She had her chicken pox, MMR, and pneumococcal shots and will have lab work done tomorrow to test for all the good stuff - lead, cbc, thyroid, hiv, etc. Because of our insurance, we need to test for immunities for other vaccines before repeating. PITA, but oh well. It's interesting info anyway, right?

Oh, and she finally took food from a spoon - her daddy's Outback Baked Potato soup ::sigh::

Time to go prepare Mia's first mostly whole milk bottle for the morning. This should be different...

yellowdogmom
01-30-2004, 12:30 PM
Thanks for sharing Kimberly!

I love hearing how Mia is doing. :)

Your post reminds me that we need to start the pediatrician search. We have found one that specialized in international adoption, but her office is about 45 minutes away from us. We like her a lot and will use her for referral review and initial check-up, but for day-to-day stuff we'll want someone closer (she recommended it too, but doesn't have a recommendation for someone in our area).

Anyway, glad to hear that all is well!

Kimberly H
01-30-2004, 01:32 PM
Kristin, this practice is literally right down the street from us so it was a pretty easy pick. They have 3 offices in town and that includes a night clinic at the location about 20 mins away, making it another plus. Several people at work use the practice at various locations (mostly this one or the one with the night clinic) though no one else has this doc as their primary physician.

Is there someone at your work or DH's work that might be able to suggest a practice? How about church? I told the receptionist I was a pretty common-sense parenting type of mom and was adopting a daughter and she recommended this doc. I figured if I didn't like her, I'd try the next one in the practice and so on.

Good luck!!

NEVE and TRISTAN
01-31-2004, 12:49 AM
Way to go mom...she sounds like she is doing perfect!!!
That is great your ped is an adoptive mommy!!!
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

Mommie2MadLyn
01-31-2004, 09:53 AM
I love hearing Mia's stories too!!!:)
So glad to hear that she is doing well and that she is such a trooper! My DD had to have that "hook-thing" used to clean her ears once, and it wasn't pretty!!! Thanks for sharing!

MamaKath
02-02-2004, 08:18 PM
Kimberly! Congratulations on having Mia home with you! I have not been around as much as I would like, and just popped in and saw your update re: doctors visit. I am so excited to hear things are going well. Welcome home Mia!!!