PDA

View Full Version : a company that helps w/passports and gives adoption discount

NEVE and TRISTAN
05-04-2004, 04:53 PM
http://www.abriggs.com/passports/renew_passport.php#STEP%20THREE
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

malie
05-04-2004, 08:30 PM
Okay I would never ever pay a company to get a passport especially a renewal because the procedure is so easy to do by yourself.

It costs $55 to get a passport http://travel.state.gov/passport_renewal.html

Only if you want it expediate does it cost an additional $60 (for a total of $115)
http://travel.state.gov/passport_expedite.html

You pay for the overnight envelope if you want to so they will mail it back overnight and you are done

And since most couples that adopting don't need an expediated passport renewal $55 is usually what you need to pay.

I always tell people who are even thinking about adopting to just go ahead and get one. The truth is that if someone applies for a passport at the same time they start a homestudy, the passport will usually be done before the homestudy is.

I'm not saying it's not a good resource Neve, I just know that with the cost of adoptions in general even that extra $45 can make a difference.

NEVE and TRISTAN
05-04-2004, 10:37 PM
I so have not looked into it yet and just realized that my passport expires in July when I got it last (like 7 years ago or was it 10????) I went down to DC and got it that day!!!!

I heard this company only charges $20 extra (over the norm cost) to adoption families and you have it in a week so I thought it was a good source, but would have to look into it more then. I didn't think $20 for a that run around was bad if that is true...

Thank you for the links and the info!!!!
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

malie
05-05-2004, 09:47 AM
Neve,
It's not a bad source really and I didn't really type all I wanted to yesterday because my son started crying and DH was at a meeting concerning a school that they are building on property adj to our community so I sort of stopped short mid way.

I guess it's just so easy to renew on your own if you are not in a rush that it doesn't make sense to pay even five dollars more and because someone doesn't actually have to wait for their passport to expire to renew as long as they don't need it expediated they only need to pay the $55 not the extra $60 to the state dept. So the service really isn't all that much but if you don't need an expediated passport then why pay for one.

DH renewed his passport last year, I know we had it in less than 6 weeks. Most homestudies take from start to finish that long at least between scheduling meetings and get doctor's appointment etc which is why I said that most people if they apply on their own when they start their homestudy the passport probably would be done in the same amount of time. Considering the fact that once you have your homestudy you (and I'm using you in the general sense not you mean you Neve :) ) it has to be shipped in the USCIS/BSIC/INS (pick the set of letters you like best) and you have to wait for their approval you have to tack another couple of weeks on to that.

Of course in the grand scheme of things if someone is even thinking that they might adopt internationally in the next 5 years, they might as well just get a passport if they don't have one at all since passports are good for 10 years.

hjdong
05-05-2004, 04:37 PM
I just wanted to say that the ONLY difficulty I had paperwork wise in the whole adoption process was getting James' passport. I paid for expediting, because they take your original adoption paperwork and I wanted it back ASAP. 5 weeks later I FINALLY got through to someone at the LA office only to have to argue with her about whether my adoption was final or not. She didn't like the wording on the paperwork - like this is something I had control over. She kept saying, "It's no big deal, just send in your final paperwork when it comes." And I kept saying, "This is all I will ever have. That is my final paperwork." It was a nightmare. Not to mention that when I did get my paperwork back, it was all torn up. Actually, this reminds me that I have to write a complaint letter. Anyway, the point is, had I known, I would have happily paid someone $20 to have some efficiency (of course, that's a hindsight issue).

malie
05-06-2004, 04:19 PM
Now a child's passport is a different issue. However since both parents have to appear or have the other parent sign documents and the child if he or she is under 14 HAS to appear now (that might only be since the first of the year or this April but I know that rule is relatively new that the child has to be present), I don't see how you can use a service for that anyway. I know people would gladly pay someone to stand in line and get through the line at the SSA to get a social security card for this child when they are trying to get the card before the adoption is finalize in the states.

It's just paying for the renewal of an adult passport when it is relatively so easy to do on your own since you don't have to appear anywhere and just are basically mailing back your current passport and pictures and the application, that most people don't need to use a service for