PDA

View Full Version : Bottle suggestions for transition from Russian orphanage...

kroppink
05-17-2004, 05:33 PM
Our pediatrician said that the orphanages usually use 1950's style bottles, etc. I heard someone say their child's orphanage used glass bottles. So our pediatrician recommended getting the most traditional style bottles (I guess the nipples are the significant part though). And I read that they may be used to fast flow nipples.

In terms of basic bottles, I've found Gerber, Fisher-Price (only at Baby Depot), & one other...I forget who. But they all look the same. But I assume I'd have to buy the bottles...then buy a fast flow nipple (or fast & medium, just to be prepared in Russia).

And has anyone tried the Munchkin Tri-Flow nipple bottles? Those seem like they might be ideal. I'd be prepared for whatever baby's preference is...with only one nipple. :) And they are the angled bottles, which I guess is a good thing.

Any opinions? Thanks!

malie
05-17-2004, 08:49 PM
Karin,
The problem with a tri-flow nipple is that you have to hold the bottle just right for the flow which means no moving it around once you've started and I can tell you that your child may or may not want to hold the bottle and move it himself.

In the end honestly some children will move to another nipple bottle style with no problem and others will not. We have this discussion all the time on the Korean adoption boards since the bottles our children come home with are your basic cheap bottles. That doesn't mean that happens to be the bottle that their foster mothers use just that its the bottle they travel home with. Some people successfully switch their children to other brands (our son uses Avent bottles with no problem what so ever) and others feel like they need to stick to the cheap no frills style bottle. Just like anything else some children switch with out a problem and others do not.

One mistake that people make is that they assume that if a child is taking a bottle out of his mouth he doesn't like the bottle. Honestly any bottle you probably give is going to "taste" or seem different to your child so he may or may not play with it a bit before he is willing to use it. A lot is probably going to depend on how old your child is also. A six month old and a 12 month old might have very different attachment levels to one style over another.

You can also try the adoption boards at ivillage where you will probably find more people who have adopted from Russia recently who can give you more practical experience

kroppink
05-17-2004, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the reply! I think you might have misunderstood about the tri-flow nipples... (unless I have misunderstood!) But I'm guessing you're talking about a different kind? Munchkin has ones which I think are supposed to be relatively new. I don't think the flow has anything to do with the way the bottle is held. You really just adjust the nipple & it changes the flow. Here is a link to what I'm talking about...

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=86813&catid=26958&trx=GFI-0-EVGR-49973&trxp1=60&trxp2=86813&trxp3=1&trxp4=113&btrx=BUY-GFI-0-EVGR-49973

kroppink
05-17-2004, 11:07 PM
Here's a more informative page...

http://munchkininc.com/special/triflow

Melanie
05-18-2004, 01:06 AM
I have no advice, I just wanted to say that I checked out your website - that is one of the agencies I was reading about. Congratulations, you must be so excited!

--Melanie

malie
05-18-2004, 12:43 PM
You know actually it's the same concept but because you are using an angled bottle, the bottle is only going to be held in one position if you are feeding your child and it's more likely even if your child is trying to hold the bottle on his own that it would be in the right position. (I missed the angled bottle part which makes it more likely that the bottle won't be turned). The concept of the nipple is the same though. So yes the tri-flow nipple would probably work for you so you don't have to bring three different types to Russia if that's the bottle you decide to try