PDA

View Full Version : NAN AR formula

kcimato
06-13-2004, 01:06 AM
My DIL is traveling to Guatemala July 4th to visit her knew DS and my new DGS . She said his formula is called NAN AR and wanted to know where she could buy it here in the states? I believe she found the regular NAN at the PX but he has reflux so they switched him to that.

kwc
06-13-2004, 03:39 AM
NAN is a formula made by one of the big formula companies (I think Nestle but not sure) that has long been one of the big names in Latin America. It is just now being advertised and sold here in the states due to the high name recognition among Spanish speaking families... it is a standard cows milk based formula like Similac or Enfamil but the AR probably has rice starch added to thicken the formula (AR usually stands for anti-reflux). I recently received some info from the manufacturer that the NAN would be marketed here but don't recall them mentioning anything about the AR, perhaps just the regular and maybe the soy (sorry, did not pay a lot of attention)... there is some controversy among docs about the safety and utility of thickening formula for reflux babies so generally you don't see thickened formulas sold here a lot (though I believe Enfamil makes an AR formula). If your DIL can get regular NAN at the PX, she may want to buy that and discuss with her ped whether or not to add rice cereal when mixing formula.

HTH.

Congratulations to you and your family!!!

Karen