PDA

View Full Version : Hoping to adopt...a few questions

llcoddington
07-01-2004, 06:08 PM
DH and I are hoping to adopt #2. Lauren is now 6 months old. Should we start the process now? We would love to have children less than 3 years apart.

I am so clueless about everything! We did meet with an agency a few years ago regarding adopting from Russia, but at that time decided to continue with infertility testing. We don't even know enough right now to think of domestic versus international. I guess I'll have to start hanging out in this forum!

Does anyone have a site, book, etc. that would be helpful for the beginning processes?

ETA: I just scrolled down the page and saw a "Where do we start" topic, so I'm sorry if I just repeated a question!

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

crl
07-01-2004, 06:32 PM
Hi Lana,

I think now would be a great time for you to start. You'll have to think about domestic vs international and choose an agency and so on before you even get to start the fun paperwork. It's always possible to slow the process down, but hard to speed it up!

I can give you our timeline, but yours could be very different depending on a lot of factors. We decided to adopt in November or December 2002. We chose an agency in January 2003. Our paperwork went to China in October 2003 (we were slow for reasons specific to us--not related to China or our agency). We got our referral on June 7, 2004. Our son (I so love typing that) was born June 23, 2003. We're hoping to travel in August.

Good luck!

malie
07-02-2004, 07:19 AM
Lana,
In some ways it depends on where you wish to adopt from and the typical age of children from that country. With most international adoptions children are typically at least 6 months old when they come home and many a bit older (some countries you might end up bringing your child home a little younger but if you plan on your child being 6 months or older at arrival in the USA it's probably more realistic and with most international adoptions it's at least a year process, that would mean that if you start now you may have a child home at this time next year who is about a year younger than your daughter.

With a domestic adoption if you started now chances are you would not end up being matched with a birth mother due before the end of the year so you would still be looking at a child at least a year younger

In the end a lot of the timing is up to you meaning you can start researching things but not actually start your homestudy if you wanted your children spread out a little more in age