PDA

View Full Version : What to bring with you when child you are adopting is born...

babyscomin
07-02-2004, 11:32 AM
We have to travel to Florida and stay two weeks after the baby we are adopting is born. How do you determine what or how many diapers to bring since you don't really know how big the baby will be? I hesitate to buy too many newborn diapers in case the baby is big. Anyone have a similar situation that they'd like to share?
Thanks,
Melinda:D

hjdong
07-02-2004, 11:44 AM
Jamie wasn't just born - but we had the same situation (not knowing the size). What we brought was 35 diapers (we figured 7 diapers for 5 days - I don't know if a newborn would use more). By then, we figured we would have our heads on straight enough to get to a grocery store. You might be able to bring fewer because not being in a foriegn country might make things like grovery stores easier to navigate. But, you'll still want enough that you don't feel like you have to go out for a while.

Again, I don't really know newborn diaper sizes but the older sizes go through a huge range, so maybe you could bring a some newborn and some of the next size up (1 I would assume).

Also, get the packmates - they're great for diapers which really squish down. If you go to the website (sorry - I don't know what it is, but do a search on google) there's a number you can call for an adoption special which is a great deal.

Good Luck!

amp
07-02-2004, 03:53 PM
Chances are good that the baby being born will wear newborn sized diapers. Ours wore a few newborns but they were too snug, so we switched to size 1 right away, but my baby was huge when I gave birth to him! 10 lbs 9 oz! That's not a common scenario. I would just bring a small to medium sized package of each and then, depending on your timing/itinerary, buy more if needed. I was glad we didn't open the newborn sized dipes we had at home, and we were able to exchange them for the bigger size. That will also give you a better idea of how many you are using a day so you'll know how much more to buy for the 2 weeks. You'll use the size 1's eventually. Or, if you want to actually open the packages, bring a good stack of each size and plan to get to a groc. store within a day or two. Newborns go through a LOT of diapers! Congrats and good luck!

JElaineB
07-03-2004, 01:11 PM
Will you be arriving when the baby is still in the hosptial? If so, most hospitals supply diapers while the baby is there. That way you could find out how big the baby is and run out and buy a couple of packs of diapers anywhere. But I agree newborn size diapers should be fine for most babies if you want to buy ahead. Mine was born full-term but small so we actually used preemie size for a couple of weeks and newborn size for quite a long time. Plan on a newborn going through about 12 diapers a day.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

ghs517
07-13-2004, 02:59 PM
I think a pack of each size (Newborn and 1) would be good, and then you could purchase more. Some big babies don't stay long in Newborns. Our DD was 3 weeks when we adopted her, and she'd been in 1's for a week already (born 6 lbs 8 oz).

I'd do the same with bottles. Get a couple of different types and see which one your child uses best, then get more. If you'll be in a hotel room, you may want to bring/borrow a sterilizer and drying rack as well, unless you'll have access to a dishwasher.

Congratulations!

babyscomin
07-13-2004, 07:52 PM
Thanks for all the great advice. This is a great message board.
:D

Drews Mom
07-18-2004, 11:22 PM
We were in the same situation. Travelled from IL to FL when our son was born. The hospital gave us a small stack of diapers and we headed over to Babies R Us. I was too nervous to bring anything or buy much until the papers were signed. All we brought with us was a carseat (legally needed to leave hospital) and one outfit to take him home in. We bought the rest down there. Worked great for us. Best of luck. P.S. Our ICPC only took 4 business days so we were only in FL a week total (with the weekend).