PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday we got THE CALL!!

kalebsmama
07-17-2004, 12:18 AM
Wow, what a surprise! Our agency called yesterday morning at about 11:30 and said we had been chosen. She wanted to know if we were interested in a 9 month old girl. Of course DH is in Chicago and I can't reach him (FIL having surgery - no cell phones allowed in hospital) Anyways, I said yes, pending on what DH said. Within 2 hours the child had been surrendered to the social worker and she wanted me to come and meet her so I could tell DH about her. Finally Steve called while I was at the agency holding the baby. He said ok - I read him the health reports etc.

Four hours after the first call, I'm driving home with this little girl! Not sure yet if this will go through since birth parents still have to sign papers tomorrow, but we decided to bring her home and get to know her and make sure this is the right thing.

I am so unprepared! She came with 3 onsies, 3 hats, 4 diapers and an almost empty can of formula! I have a note with a few foods that she eats, but no info on how much, how often, what routines - nothing! Of course DS was this age in the winter so I don't even have boy clothes that will fit!

I will write more soon - I have so many questions to ask everyone. Right now I need sleep. I couldn't sleep last night with so much excitement. DH is home now and my mom is here too.

By the way, she is beautiful! Blonde hair, blue eyes and so easy going. She hardly cries, although she did alot tonight at bedtime. I can't imagine what she must be going through, and it makes my heart break for her and for the family who is giving her up.

I'll add a photo tomorrow. Good night!

jubilee
07-17-2004, 04:34 AM
OH MY GOSH- HOW WONDERFUL!!!! I'm so excited for you! You must be in a daze from the sudden surprise. A beautiful baby girl to join your family :) Congrats! I will pray that all will work out, please please keep us posted!

holliam
07-17-2004, 07:59 AM
WOW! That's amazing! Keep us posted on how it goes! I didn't even really think about domestic adoptions happening with slightly older infants. Man, I've had months of planning for a 6-month old and I still don't feel ready! Let us know if you need anything and just can't get to the store to get it, etc!

Congratulations!

Holli

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-17-2004, 11:24 AM
I can not imagine the excitment such a call must bring on, and your story just gave me goosebumps, happy tears in my eyes for you and a huge smile...

Amazing!!!!! Please keep us posted...and the biggest congrats to you, the emotions must be undescribable!!!!!!

Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

Mommie2MadLyn
07-17-2004, 11:36 AM
HOLY COW!!! That really is a surprise I guess!!! Congratulations to you and your family! You seem very calm in your post, I think I would be flipping out with only hours to prepare for a new baby coming home with me! Good luck, and please keep us posted!

hjdong
07-17-2004, 01:03 PM
Wow! Congratulations! That's so wonderful. I can't wait to see pictures. It's just so amazing how that happens - one minutes, you're maybe months away, four hours later, you're home with a baby!

kalebsmama
07-17-2004, 03:12 PM
Thanks for all of your support. We haven't told many here until the papers get signed, and it's fun to be able to share the news with people.
It looks like everything will get signed later today and then she'll be here to stay. No, I'm not calm - I feel rather panicked! I'm not ready to have 2 kids to take care of! Some days I can barely manage my VERY active 2yr old! I'm trying to figure out how do you get your toddler down for a nap when the baby is still awake! DS is used to his routine of books, song and rocking then nap - what to do with DD? (oh, that's the first time I've said that!) Oh well, I'm sure we'll figure it out.
Holli, I never imagined an older baby either. I totally expected a newborn. We have been talking about an international adoption though so the idea of an older infant was a possibility.
Anyways, I'd better go. The house is a wreck and DS is napping so I've got work to do. I will be posting questions in the other areas about things to get (stroller, diapers, clothes etc) over the next few days. I appreciate any input!
Here's a picture. Sorry it's so big - I still need to figure out what size to make pictures.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9370.jpg

Edited to make picture smaller!

lmintzer
07-17-2004, 06:14 PM
OMG, Jan! How wonderful! I don't post too often in this forum but wanted to tell you how happy I am for you and your family. She's absolutely beautiful.

I'm sure she'll adjust well to a loving, stable home. Don't feel too badly about the bedtime thing. My 8 month-old FREAKS out when his bedtime routine is changed at all (i.e., when either my mom our nanny who knows him and loves him tries to put him to bed). I think this is pretty typical for the age.

Best wishes,

sugarsnappea
07-17-2004, 06:16 PM
WOW! Congratulations Jan, she is beautiful!

crl
07-17-2004, 08:08 PM
Thank you for sharing your news. I can't even imagine what wonderful, and sad as you point out, time this is for you and your family.

holliam
07-17-2004, 10:01 PM
Oh *MY* that picture just made my heart and tears swell so much. They look so lovely together.

Congratulations, mama!

Holli

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-17-2004, 10:13 PM
Too cute!!!! and so sweet!!!
keep us posted!!!!
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

papal
07-17-2004, 10:56 PM
Congrats Jan!! She is beautiful and that picture brought happy tears to my eyes... it is so precious... i wonder what she must be thinking.. she is so cute!

LD92599
07-17-2004, 11:22 PM
That is just soooo cute! What a wonderful call..and how fast from call to seeing your DD! Congrats to you and your family!!

Laura
mom to William

http://homepage.mac.com/ld14m

amp
07-17-2004, 11:22 PM
Congrats on your new baby girl! Hope it all works out perfectly for all of you!

barbarhow
07-17-2004, 11:33 PM
I've never been over here before but I saw the post in the lounge and ventured over. I am so glad I did. She is absolutely beautiful and your ds looks enamored of her. What a sweet picture.
I am sure the next few days/weeks will be pretty stressful for you but how sweet. What a lucky girl she is.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

khakismom
07-18-2004, 12:34 AM
Jan, what an amazing story!! I am so happy for you and your family. You are obviously be a very special person for the birthparents to choose you. Congratulations on your new beautiful daughter!

smkinc
07-18-2004, 01:39 AM
Congratulations, and what a precious picture!--it looks like Kaleb and his new sister are hitting it off so far. As you and Catherine pointed out, adoption is often a bittersweet process. I'm sure your head is still spinning and everyone is trying to adjust to the new circumstances. Have you settled on a name?

Since you asked for reccommendations--I would highly reccomend a sling (my favorite is an adjutable pouch sling). J. was only 6 weeks old when we brought him home, but I found holding him helped us bond and also help with his transition from a somewhat chaotic beginning. I'm sure it would have been even more valuable if I had a 2 year old as well!

Take care and have fun!

Mary
Mom to Jeremiah 2/4/03

Melanie
07-18-2004, 02:12 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!! WHAT A WONDERFUL SURPRISE! She is a beautiful and Blessed little baby.

jk3
07-18-2004, 03:40 AM
What a beautiful picture. I wish you all of the best with your newest addition. Absolutely precious!

Jenn
DS 6/03

marinkitty
07-18-2004, 05:49 AM
CONGRATULATIONS! Such exciting and happy news. I'm sure you are reeling from shock and joy, but how absolutely wonderful for you! She is perfect - seeing the picture, she just seems so natural with your DS!
Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)

smomom
07-18-2004, 11:34 AM
how very exciting for you. Congratulations. She's a beautiful little girl.

StaceyKim
07-18-2004, 06:53 PM
OMG, that is the sweetest picture. She is beautiful and best of luck to you and your family!

Tondi G
07-18-2004, 08:57 PM
Congrats Jan and big brother Kaleb!!! How exciting! She is absolutely beautiful! Good Luck with everything.... ENJOY!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01

Puddy73
07-18-2004, 10:20 PM
Congratulations! How amazing that your life took such a wonderful turn so quickly. She is beautiful and the picture of her with Kaleb is so sweet. He looks like he will be a terrific big brother!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle Mae 9/8/03

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

ChicagoMama
07-19-2004, 12:21 AM
Hi Jan,

I saw Neve's post in the Lounge and thought I would venture over to offer your family my congratulations and best wishes.

Turns out....I have a 9 month old baby girl - so if you want to know what she's up to---a quick list off the top of my head
- just starting to nap regularly (just barely)
- just starting to like those "cause and effect" toys
- still LOVES the sling/pouch - highly recommend!
- likes to play with a spoon while she's eating

Also - depending on her size, I have a ton of ADORABLE baby girl summer clothes...would love to send some your way if you need them in a pinch (I have three times as many clothes as I need for this child!)

*AND* I have an almost two-year-old - so as soon as your head stops spinning from all the excitement....I can give you some stories of how I get both of them down for naps (especially while one is awake), how to navigate malls/grocery stores, etc. etc. etc!!!

I'm sure you have lots of pen pals already - but just offering my help, too!

Congratulations again, she's beautiful!!
Becky

Mama to DDs Shelby 09/19/02 and Sydney 10/16/03

jubilee
07-19-2004, 02:57 AM
And what is your beautiful new baby's name?

brigmaman
07-19-2004, 07:25 AM
Congratulations!! What a great story!
Enjoy your family!

jec2
07-19-2004, 02:25 PM
Oh, how beautiful. It looks like your DS will be wonderful to his NEW sister! I am so happy for you and am all teary-eyed at your wonderful news :)

kalebsmama
07-19-2004, 05:45 PM
Well, today is my 1st day at home alone! So far it's going ok, but I don't know what's for dinner yet!
Thanks so much for all your kind words and for the helpful tips. I have been reading them, but haven't replied more since my computer is messed up right now.
We decided to name her Katherine Ann. DH and I both had Grandmas named Katherine (both spelled differently) and Ann was her middle name when she came to us. We decided that part of making her our daughter was giving her a name that we chose, and she's young enough to be ok with the change.
I'm trying another picture so you can see her face better. She has the biggest blue eyes and is such a happy girl.
Thanks everyone!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9371.jpg

Also pictured is one of my stepsons. He is great with both of the younger kids!

jk3
07-19-2004, 06:32 PM
She's beautiful + she looks so happy. Congratulations again.

Jenn
DS 6/03

Melanie
07-19-2004, 07:07 PM
She is breathtakingly beautiful! I love the name, Katherine, too. I'm a sucker for names with many nickname possibilities. I don't know why. We picked Ds' name partly for that and so far, we just call him by his full name. LOL..

Again, congratulations.

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-20-2004, 01:16 AM
She is beautiful!!!!!
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

AvasMama
07-20-2004, 08:27 PM
Jan,
Kate is gorgeous. I saw a post in the Lounge about your story and it really touched me. I can't imagine how anyone could give her up, but I am so happy she found a family as loving as yours!

I am sending you a PM in case you still need some clothes :)

Robyn & Ava

McQ
07-22-2004, 02:58 PM
Congratulations!!!! I am so thrilled for you and your family. The picture of Kaleb and his sister brought tears to my eyes. She's absolutely beautiful. I can't imagine getting a call and four hours later having my daughter. I've got goosebumps just thinking about it. I can't fathom the emotions running through your house. You must be pinching yourself silly!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

Momof3Labs
07-24-2004, 06:24 PM
Jan, she's just gorgeous!! Look at those thighs - I love the pudge (hope you don't mind me saying that)!

mommieo5
07-27-2004, 01:21 AM
Your picture took my breath away how wonderful for you all congratulations !