PDA

View Full Version : For Neve

sareva
07-28-2004, 02:40 AM
Sorry to bug you. My husband is an archaeologist who works in Ukraine. In fact, he's been there since June 18 and is returning to the States on Friday. He flies in and out of Simferopol (sorry if I'm spelling this wrong). I'm not sure when he'll be returning to Ukraine -- it could be as late as next summer -- but if you'd like to email me if/when you're heading over there, you're welcome to. I mean, if you need someone to bring over stuff or something ( I don't know, like a bunch of cloth diapers), we might be able to coordinate depending on where and when you and he go. Just a thought -- might not work out but I thought I'd put it out there.
take care, sarah

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-28-2004, 10:06 AM
Sarah,
How wonderful!!!!!
We think we are going in January, if our INS "permission slip" comes in time to get our paperwork over there, translated and an appt. If we don't go by then then it will need to be put off which would be a major disappointment beyond my thoughts.

I will email you!!!!
When people coorespond to me via the boards it goes to an email address that I never use or look at, my user name is linked to that email address since my old user name is linked to my email address that I use (it wouldn't let me use it twice).

So I will email you via the boards...
BUT if you can email me back at neve @ nc.rr.com (without the spaces).

In Ukraine we all go thru Kiev and then they give you your referral so who knows where we'll end up region wise. We are thinking we will go 4 days early and vacation in Yalta!!!!!

How wonderful!!!!
Thank you!!!!

Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
EDD with #2 March 18, 2005
heartbeat and "looking great" so far
Traveling in Jan insearch of the rest of our family-adopting in Ukraine

wagner36
07-28-2004, 09:40 PM
Neve,
I haven't been there for a gzillion years, but I spent a few summers in Yalta as a young teenager, and it was truly a wonderful place. DH and I have been talking about doing a tour there sometime - have you found any good travel information? I would love to go back there!

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-28-2004, 09:44 PM
Tara,
Wow how exciting...I suspect in the winter it isn't waht you were use to seeing. I have searched via search engines some and hve been suprised to find that the hotels it brings up appear not to give "winter" dates or rates. I wondered if it was like the Greek Islands in that they literally close for business in the winter. When I be popped thru the islands of Greece I literally closed places down for the season...they shut the doors behind me and friends I met on the trip as we left for months...

As I search and find info I will pass it on to you...
If you know anything I'd LOVE to hear!!!!
We have been advised not to go due to the stress of the adoption in general...but my gut is telling me to go, especially if we take Tristan which I think I am leaning to do...

sareva
07-30-2004, 03:11 AM
Hi Neve,
If you go later in your pregnancy, make sure you get some extra travel/medical insurance so you can get MedEvac or something. You would want to have options to get out of Ukraine quickly in case of a medical emergency. I used to work in public health, and my husband has some experience with the health care system b/c (for some weird reason) every summer for the past three or four years, one person affiliated with his dig has died (it's totally random, and usually not on-site, just one of those odd things). I don't want to scare you or anything. I had a complicated pregnancy/labor/delivery so I'm coming at it from my personal perspective. That being said, I'm considering going on DH's site with my baby next year for 4-6 weeks, so I'm not at all saying "Don't go," but we take out extra insurance. Please do email when you know your plans, and certainly, if we're able to be of any help, we will do our best. You and your family are doing a great thing. Take care, Sarah

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-30-2004, 12:57 PM
We are buying medivac insurance and would anyway due to the ice roads...
Also, thank god, Steve;s company has an office there so I really hope that they will also be a resource if we get into a pinch!!!!

I will email you!!!! I would love for us to chat about the experience, and for me to have access to you and your hubby's knowledge :)...

sareva
08-02-2004, 01:27 AM
My DH got back on Friday and when I told him about your situation, he said "Well, I hope they have their bribery money ready." I think that the more he works in Ukraine, the more he gets a little disheartened about the "system" (this coming from a man who's worked since the age of 15 in Sicily and South Italy!). Anyway, he was just in Yalta, and he thought you might be pretty bored there in the winter. S. Crimea basically shuts down, and since Yalta's culture is pretty much beach-based, there isn't much to do in January. He suggested Sevastopol if you were committed to heading down there. Obviously, you should do whatever your heart leads you to do, but I just thought I'd let you know his thoughts. take care, sarah

ETA: In Crimea, he hasn't been in a car yet that had a seatbelt -- just something to consider with the little one. I'm still trying to figure out how we'll negotiate that one!

NEVE and TRISTAN
08-02-2004, 10:09 AM
Thank you!!!! I wondered that about Yalta and glad he shared...sounds like we'll stop in Prague then for a few days before we head to Ukraine. I've been all over Europe but have not been there (unless young and don't remember it)...

We will have no bribes in Ukraine thank goodness...we have hired a facilitator who to date (years and years and years) has never had a couple pay any expediting bribes...he charges more upfront then the others but handles all awkward bribes. I like that for I don't want to be standing in front of a judge wondering do I offer $1,000 or $2,000 so my 30 days get waived... he gets a lot of flack for havng higher fees than others but I said "sign me up" I don't mind!!!!!

Thank you,