PDA

View Full Version : Help for clueless travel/stay domestically

sidmand
08-18-2004, 11:48 PM
I've been lurking for a while, but have only ventured forward to post a couple times on my own, but I thought you all might be the best people to go to for advice.

We have been matched (for the third time, so although I'm cautiously optimistic--I probably am more cautious than optimistic at this point) domestically, but we will be traveling to another state. Along with all my other worries, I'm thinking I don't even know what to bring/what I'll need. We were hoping not to fly with a newborn, but that doesn't look like it will be possible--it's a 13 hour car ride, which we could do, but it will probably be much easier to fly.

Do I bring the carseat I have now on the plane (Graco snugride)? I know not to check it as baggage because it might be tossed about, so what should I do with it? I think I already threw away the box, or I supposed I could have packed it up.

What do I need for the baby to sleep on in the hotel room? I know sometimes you can get a Pack 'n Play from the hotel. Will that work? Do I need something different?

Basically, I guess I'm totally clueless! I hope I don't scare anyone with my lack of information! We're much more prepared at home, but I really don't know what to have on hand for somewhere else.

I know I'm not the first one to go through something like this and I thought maybe I could learn from others' experiences. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your help,

Debbie

jk3
08-19-2004, 10:05 AM
Congratulations. I hope everything goes smoothly.

We travel quite frequently so I have a few tips.
1) We always check our stroller + carseat at the gate. Each time both are returned in good condition. When you get off the plane, they'll retrieve these items for you pretty quickly. Usually those travelling with an infant are given priority.

2) Our newborn slept in a pack n play with the bassinet attachment. I think a regular pack n play would work but I would double-check with the hotel to see what they provide. Sometimes they provide a mini-crib which would fit your needs. Be sure to bring some lightweight blankets so you can swaddle your baby. This helped a lot!

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

sidmand
08-23-2004, 03:37 PM
Hi Jenn,

Thank you very much for your reply. I think we may have decided though to go by car. I know it should be fine, but with all the other stresses, I figured taking away the flying part (which I know shouldn't be a big deal, but right now it seems like it!) will help slightly. I'm not too good at long car rides myself though, so we'll see!

Thanks again,
Debbie