PDA

View Full Version : Holli/Toddler adoption

hjdong
09-12-2004, 12:44 PM
Hi all- I just read your last post on your adoption blog Holli. I'm so sorry for you that this pain is going on for so long.

I thought I would just see if anyone besides me has adopted a toddler whose been in an orphanage? I can tell you a really positive story. I think, if Lily's abandonment goes through, she will be about the age of DS when we got him (19 months). Everyone kept saying, "I can't believe how well he's bonded." and I can tell you that truly he was obviously just waiting for individual attention and a momma and baba. He's caught up completely developmentally. And, he is of course, a handsome, talented, athletic genius - just ask me!

I can't imagine how painful it is for you to imagine poor Lily in the orphanage the entire time while you wait because of her birthmother's horrible decision (or lack thereof) but know that she will be resilient and hopefully the abandonment will go through. I known that the 5 months where I was waiting for permission to adopt/travel to get Jamie was horrible and all I had was a picture and medical reports; I had never met him. I can only hope your, Liam, and Lily's ending had been as perfect as ours.

I gope that you don't mind me posting this - please let me know if you would rather not have people post. My intention is good, but we all know where that leads . . .

Kimberly H
09-12-2004, 09:37 PM
Mia was also in an orphange for 13 of her 14 months before we got her in January. She was left to be found at 1 month of age. She's an absolute dream and received amazing care at her orphange. The nanny cried when she handed her over to us and left clutching the Polaroid of the 4 of us (DH, Nanny, Mia and me) that someone took for her. Mia's on-track or slightly ahead of her age-mates in all areas and is medically sound, only a bit of flat spot on her head.

I'm hoping Lily is in a similar situation while she waits.

Like Holly said, if you don't want to discuss it, please let us know!

holliam
09-13-2004, 07:37 PM
Oh, thank you so much for posting this... I know there are success stories. It's just so hard when one of the reasons we chose Guatemala was so she'd have foster care. KWIM? I just keep hoping she has bonded well enough with her foster family who love her as their own daughter. She was just doing so well that I hate to imagine it all screetching to a halt. It does ease my mind to know that you guys have well adjusted and attached babes. It is just such a mystery how she'll react. Poverty is so bad in Guatemala. I am so worried.

We are supposedly getting an update from the agency on Wed or Thurs. We will have an update on Lily's case and on a new referral. Our agency director was kind of vague about it.. I suspect something is going on but she doesn't want to tell us until it's certain, but she said something to the effect of having good news on both fronts and that we'll have to make some decisions.

Of course, Liam (hubby) immediately gets excited and thinks this means we'll still get Lily plus a new referral (after we rob the bank ;) ). Oh, but what I wouldn't do to have that be true. I'd find a way to do it...that's for sure!

But, I need to be grounded and just assume that we won't have any new earth shattering good news. I can't get my hopes up.

Holli

NEVE and TRISTAN
09-13-2004, 07:56 PM
Pass the tissue...
Holli I have good vibes (edited to clarify meaning good vibes towards the Lily news, and the rest would be wonderful too) on this honey...your last few sentences got me all excited...PLEASE keep us posted!!!!!
Big hugs and know our thoughts have been with you every day thru out this!!!!

Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/19/05 IT'S A GIRL
* Adopting siblings in Ukraine 1/05

http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan

almostamom
09-14-2004, 02:10 AM
Holli,
I've followed your story through your adoption blog. I can completely understand your need to be "grounded". Please know that there are prayers being said for you, your husband, and Lily. I have a very special one that I'll say for all of you tonight. I'm sending hugs and good thoughts your way.

~Linda~
Baby #1 due Nov 17, 2004

jubilee
09-14-2004, 04:35 AM
Holly, that was so sweet of you to write this encouraging note to Holli! Holli and Lily, you are both in my thoughts and prayers. I look forward to the "good news" you have been promised!!

jk3
09-14-2004, 08:37 AM
I'm hoping everything works out well for your family. Sometimes things have a way of working out even when it's unexpected. My DH is also an eternal optimist + that energy can be a huge help. I hope you will be with Lily very soon.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png