PDA

View Full Version : We had our day in court . . .

hjdong
11-10-2004, 08:18 PM
So, today was our court date for our American adoption. Legally, the Chinese adoption is official, but I felt more comfortable having the paperwork also here, where I know how to get it. Also, it only costs $20 in my county and an afternoon, so it's not too hard. Anyway, it was kind of bittersweet. I have to admit that I liked having a ceremony. In China, we walked up several flights of stairs, sat in a dirty office with an old man, he shook our hands, talked to our translator, asked if we would abuse or leave DS, and when we got to the street our translator said, "O.k., you're done." I mean, I wasn't expecting a parade, but I also didn't expect to miss the moment, so to speak.

The bitter part was the case before ours. It was a settlement for a child hurt in some sort of accident. Details weren't really shared, but the settlement was for $10 million, the girl was in the hospital for 2 years, and requires $30,000 a month for her care. I can't imagine how horrible this is - one moment, your child is presumably healthy and happy and the next, she needs $30,000 a month of medical care. Is there possibly enough money for that?

Wishing everyone good health and safety,

jubilee
11-11-2004, 03:06 AM
Congratulations on your adoption!! I'm glad you got a ceremony! Not every county has a ceremony, in fact when my DH adopted my DS, we didn't even know it was final for several weeks... we just got a letter in the mail one day and never went to court. It was rather disappointing. So, like I said, I'm glad you got your special day! Hugs to you and DS!!

malie
11-11-2004, 09:26 AM
Glad you had your "day in court". In NC they just send you the adoption decree (so there was nothing in Korea and nothing in NC) but that's okay, I was just glad it was done.

As for the other case, it is in many ways a reminder why we need to find the moments in every day and enjoy things all the time if we can (which can be hard when you are waiting for things to happen in adoption) because life changes constantly.

NEVE and TRISTAN
11-11-2004, 03:56 PM
Congrats Holly...and family!!!!

Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/19/05 IT'S A GIRL
* DOSSIER IN THE HANDS OF TRANSLATOR

http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan

Kimberly H
11-11-2004, 08:45 PM
Congratulations, Holly!

Re-adoption and getting a U.S. birth cert is not a fun process in our county - they don't have a clue what they're doing so it takes forever - so I've been putting it off.

Now that we have have Mia's SS card and passport, there's no excuse ::sigh::

Melanie
11-15-2004, 12:09 PM
Congratulations Holly!

The case before yours...stuff like that really puts life into perspective doesn't it? At least for a while...then I go on worrying about nonsense again.

yellowdogmom
12-02-2004, 04:14 PM
I'm almost a month late - but congratulatons Holly!