PDA

View Full Version : Advice on what to register for when adopting a 1 year old?

misshawna
01-03-2005, 06:27 PM
My husband and I are going on Trip 1 to Russia on Monday the 10th of January. We are very excited. People are already talking about doing showers for us between trip 1 and trip 2. I had previously registered for things for a younger baby, but the baby we are adopting will be closer to a year old when we bring him home (He is 9 1/2 months old now). What things do I definitely need to register for? What essentials do you think I should have when we bring him home?

We already have a convertible crib, a dresser/changing table, a monitor, and a car seat.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thank you,
Shawna

icunurse
01-03-2005, 07:47 PM
First of all, congratulations! Exciting times are ahead. We adopted domestically, but our son is almost one now, so let's see if I can help you with your registry. These are the thigs he's using now....
* push walker (Fisher-price, Little Tikes, LeapFrog, whatever one
you like the best)
* toys (FP Ocean Wonders Fishbowl, Neurosmith Together Tunes,
LeapFrog Activity Table -love it!-, Little People, Mega
Blocks, Baby Einstein and Signing Times Videos, etc)
* stroller (you have to show him off! :) )
* high chair/ convertible booster (don't forget lots of bibs!)
* bedding
* diaper disposer (if you want one)
* feeding tools - spoons, bowls, cups, travel containers, ? bottles
* diapers/wipes
* bathtub/bath support, lotions/shampoos/etc
* diaper bag (check out the forum for great suggestions)
Don't be afraid to register for a big item or two (stroller, glider, etc)....lots of people like to chip in for a gift. Also, Babies R us (both in store and online) have checklists to help build a registry. You'll be able to figure out what applies, especially after meeting him. The only things he will really need when he first comes home are food, clothing, a place to sleep, a way to be clean, and Mommy and Daddy. The rest will all fall into place. I hope this helped a little. Good luck with your journey....let us know how it goes.

Traci
~Connor's Mom~
http://lilypie.com/baby1/050204/1/0/1/-6/.png (http://lilypie.com)

hjdong
01-03-2005, 10:24 PM
Congratulations! You must be so excited! I would add a carrier of some sort. I used an Ergo when getting my son, who was older, and it was a lifesaver, because he always wanted to be carried and made the airports and traveling in general a lot easier.

Good luck and enjoy yourself,

jubilee
01-04-2005, 03:19 AM
I just wanted to say congratulations! I hope you'll stick around here- this is a great bunch of moms :) The list that was already posted seems to be a good list. You might want to add books for the baby to the list. A good library to read to your son is essential!