PDA

View Full Version : Any good places to see what's needed for a 6-12 month old?

Adopting Aimee Li
04-05-2005, 06:39 PM
We're adopting from China and are first time parents so we need everything. All the registry lists I've found are geared towards newborns which we do not need. So what's really needed?

Here's what's on my list so far:
Crib
Changing Table
Dresser
Bedding (no bumper)
Bottles
Formula
Bottle Brush
Bibs
Sippy Cups
High Chair
Cloth Diapers?
T-Shirts
Gowns
Receiving Blankets
Onsies
Dresses
Coveralls (rompers)
Caps-outdoor
Cap or Bonnet
Sun Bonnet
Socks & Booties
Pants
PJ's
Sweaters
Diaper Pail
Thermometer
Hamper
Night Light
Stain Sticks
Closet Organizer
Pack & Play Sheets
Wipes
Contoured Changing Pad
Changing Pad Cover
Diapers
Bath Tub
Bath Set
Health Care Kit
Health Care & Grooming Kit
Wash Cloths & Towel Sets
Outlet Covers
Cabinet Locks
Top Stair Gate
Bottom Stair Gate
Monitor
Mattress
Mattress Pad
Sleepers
Pack & Play
Bouncer (getting the infant to toddler rocker)
Carrier (Snugli-for DH; ABC-for me)
Stroller
Car Seat (Roundabout)
Backpack Diaper Bag
Diaper Bag

So what else is needed and what don't I need on this list?

Thanks!
Traci
Adopting Aimee Li from China!:D

icunurse
04-05-2005, 07:13 PM
First of all, congratulations! Enjoy your time planning and preparing....it can be pretty fun. Do you know when she will be coming home? Your list looks good to me. Maybe some toys (learning table, ride-on, push walker, blocks, puzzles, whatever seems age-appropriate), videos if you're OK with them (Baby Einstein, Signing Times, etc), feeding stuff (bowls, spoons, forks), and books. We have a clock radio/cd player in our son's room - we play a CD for him every night when he goes to bed. The one thing that I don't see on your list (maybe you have it, maybe you don't have the room for it) is a glider. I never thought I'd use ours as much as we do, especially for late night feedings or just to hold him when he's not feeling good...worth every penny. That's all I can think of, btu I'm sure others eher will have some great ideas! Congrats, again!
Traci
~Connor's Mom~
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040204/2/2/4/-6/.png[/img][/url]

Adopting Aimee Li
04-05-2005, 07:51 PM
Thanks!

I didn't even get in to the toys, books, movies, etc!;) I have a HUGE list of those...this is just for the basics. I do have a glider on the list, just forgot to add it. We also have a CD Player on the list as well.

I have spoons on the list but can't find any bowls yet that I like so I'm still looking.

We're just starting out, DTC some time this summer but I'm a preparer and have to know everything ahead of time w/ the lists and all!

I just noticed you're a Traci too!:D Not too many that I've met spelled w/ an I!

TTYL
Traci

Kimberly H
04-05-2005, 08:25 PM
Traci, I wouldn't go to crazy on infant stuff. Since babies in China can't be considered for adoption until they're 6 months old, your baby will be at least 7-8 months old and often in the 12-18 month range.

We requested as young as possible and Mia was 14 months at Gotcha Day. We're older parents (36 and 42 at the time) but the just-30 year olds' daughter was the same age as ours!

I would wait to see how old your baby is at referral, then borrow those large ticket infant items - like exersaucers, baby rockers, etc. - if you need them.

Congratulations on your paperchase!

Adopting Aimee Li
04-05-2005, 09:09 PM
Thanks!

The problem is that we have no one that we can borrow anything from so we'll be buying everything:(

Thanks!
Traci

hjdong
04-06-2005, 11:59 AM
Just my .02, for what it's worth.

I would forgo the changing table (I'm imagining your DD to be about 20 lbs at gotcha - the smallest in our group was 14 lbs and dreadfully undernourished - the rest were right about 14 lbs) and putting a 20 lb on and off a changing table mutiple times a day is a pain - I just had a changing pad and used the bathroom floor.

I would really doubt you need gowns if by gowns you mean those things that newborns wear - open at the bottom?, towels and recieving blankets I would look for toddler sized - they have larger cute ones and the really small ones are silly for a older baby, same for bibs - don't get the drool bibs.

I would also forgo the bouncer and/or exersaucer until you get home. There's really no way to predict. If your child is already very mobile (most in our group were), she's really probably not going to want to be confined to a bouncer. The only one in our group who might have benefited was the malnourished little girl - to biuld muscle strength. But again, imagining your DD to be about 20 lbs, the bouncer and/or exersaucer won't last long.

Lastly, I would buy some mentholated baby bath stuff and/or rub (J&J makes a baby one) and a humidifier. DS was from a very polluted area and had congestion problems for 6 months after coming home. Other adoptive parents in the area kept telling us it would go away on its own; we didn't believe them (6 months of constantly suctioning/ wiping noses is a long time), but it did. When I found the mentholated stuff, it was a life saver. Sudafed also makes a thing you plug into an outlet that gets the mentholated stuff into the air.

Good luck,

malie
04-06-2005, 12:03 PM
Traci,
Some of the stuff you probably won't need if your child is older. For example while a changing table is nice in theory, if your child is say 9 months old when she comes home, you might find that putting her on a changing table to change her just is more of a struggle then it's worth.

Clothing wise I would not buy anything until you have a referral (unless you want to buy something ahead because you think it's cute and you have to buy something pink or you will go crazy...just buy in a large size). Many of things like gowns and sleepers are really for a child under 6 months.

The bathtub is the same way. Depending on the size of your daughter and how well she is sitting on her own you might find that it's just as easy to move straight to the big tub. (Although it depends on the child because some children don't like moving straight to the big tub)

The Pack and Play is another hit or miss thing. Your child might do well in a pack and play depending on how things were handled in the baby home in China but some children don't adapt to a pack and play at all. SO I know many people just go for the superyard instead of a pack and play. It gives a more mobile child a little more room to move around (obviously it's not a secure sleeping place if that's what you are thinking about..well not secure in the same way a pack and play is)

Do you think there is anyone who might have a shower for you. If there is that's another reason to hold off buying things.

Consumer reports just came out with it's new car seat rankings and ranked the Evenflo Titan 5 above the roundabout for crash tests (that's about a $100 cheaper) Now I love our roundabout and it's got more side protection then the titan 5
http://www.evenflo.com/images/products/prco_3671213lg.jpg

http://www.evenflo.com/pr/co/prco_titanv.phtml
but the Titan 5 is half the price and is rated higher in the CR crash tests so I just thought I would put it out there

Adopting Aimee Li
04-06-2005, 03:43 PM
Thanks! The changing table that we're getting is a hi-low so it's more of a dresser anyway. I'm going to get the plastic bibs, not the drool bibs:)

I have no idea what I meant by gowns...my original list came from when I was pg (had several m/c's) so I'm trying to adapt it which is not going so easy...

I already have the J&J mentholated bath on my list:) Have any recomendations for a good humidifier? It's on my list too but I can't find one that has gotten good reviews and one that I like.

Thanks!
Traci

Adopting Aimee Li
04-06-2005, 03:56 PM
We're getting a hi-low so it can be used for a changing table or not.

We're definately not getting any clothes until referral unless we get bigger clothes;)

We're getting the Bath 'n Bumper which isn't exactly a bathtub but fits in the bathtub and is 1/2 the size as our bathtub.

I have no idea what to do about a Pack 'n Play. We need something for over IL's house. I have looking at the Graco Sport but it's way too big for over there. It would take up all the floor space in their living room! So basically, the PNP will be just for grandparents, haven't figured out what we're going to do when she grows out of it yet...it's going to be her special bed for when she goes there;)

I have no idea about a shower. We're the 1st in our families to ever adopt so who knows if they will even think the same way as we are just starting out or what...sometimes our families are strange!;) And our families don't have any $$ at all so we're going to buy the "big ticket" items anyway and leave all the little stuff in case anyone wants to buy anything for us.

I love the Roundabout! The Titan just looks like those old fashioned car seats from when I was little. I think it's just the coloring or something. We're already set, we're getting the Demin Roundabout:) When we go out to look we might change our minds but for now, DH is set on the Roundabout;)

Thanks again!
Traci

kristenk
04-30-2005, 02:22 PM
I know you just said your DH is set on the Denim Roundabout, but what about getting a Marathon instead? The Roundabout goes up to 40 pounds forward-facing and 40 inches, and the Marathon goes up to 65 pounds and 49 inches. I think the Marathon is about $50 more. Just wanted to throw that out there for you! (The Marathon comes in New Blues Denim, too.)

Adopting Aimee Li
05-25-2005, 12:31 PM
I just saw this message:(

I've read that the Marathon is huge and we have a Ford Escape which is not all that big in the back seat...

Traci

holliam
05-26-2005, 08:49 PM
Traci,

I can give you the viewpoint of someone home for 3 weeks now with her 8 month old.

We didn't get exersaucer, bouncer, anything. Truth is, there is controvery as to whether those are beneficial or harmful to physical development. We also had hoped to wear her as much as possible to help with bonding.

DD is *very* active. She isn't crawling, but I think she is going to skip it. She can already stand unassisted for a few seconds by herself and can stand at furniture, etc.

You'll need a carseat for sure; we got the Roundabout. I wouldn't stock up on bottles. I thought I was smart and left Avent bottles in Guatemala with her foster mom who switched her to them, and then she refused them with us. We had to try several brands to get her to try them. Ditto with formula. Ditto with sippy cups. Ditto with pacifiers.

We do use changing table and pads on the counter in the bathroom, but she is wiggly so floor might be easier if my knee wasn't screwed up!

She took to her crib, but we were prepared to co-sleep if she preferred but she loves her crib.

We like her highchair. Since we didn't need one that reclined or anything, we got the Eddie Bauer wooden one, and we love it.

We cloth diaper so I hate onesies. I prefer separates on her.

Our favorite sun hats are from Hanna Andersson.

I think you can wait to see what you need for safety when you see what your child is like. Some kids never get into things you think they will.

For the in-laws, you might be better off getting guard rails for an extra bed in the house than a pack n play.

Baby carriers are hit and miss. We have pouches, slings, ABC, Ergo, frame backpack. Some she likes. Some we like. Some we actually both like. ;)

The real thing that struck me after bringing her home is that at this age they really come with their preset notions of how the world works. I spent so much time researching and preparing everything just perfectly, and *bam* she has her own ideas!

Like the sleep sack things. I knew they are safer. I have several in all sizes. She's been sleeping with a small pillow and blankets her whole life. Her pillow is her lovey. She moves around so much in her sleept that she hated her legs being locked in a sack. So, we gave it up and she still sleeps with her pillow. :)

We didn't buy many toys ahead of time because we wanted to see what type of kids she is. We figured out some of her interests right away and were able to choose some simple toys that she loves--musical instrument set, blocks, playsilks, oh and the empty water bottles with dried beans in them! LOL

Feel free to PM if you have any questions for a mama who is right in the middle of all this so it's fresh on my mind!

Holli

Adopting Aimee Li
05-27-2005, 12:02 PM
Thanks Holli!

Mari is so cute!:D

We checked out backseat last night and it looks like the Marathon will actually fit which is a good thing b/c I've heard in TX they're raising the carseat age from 4 to 5! I would hate to buy one car seat and then have to spend more on another car seat for the same child!

The issue w/ IL's is that there are no extra beds or extra room to put an extra bed...even a foldup portable bed or one of those blow up ones... The PNP seems like the best option for now b/c I know it will fit, they've put them in their LR before w/ cousins & SIL's friends baby.

I'm so happy to hear everything is going well!:D

Traci