PDA

View Full Version : shower ideas?

neeter
06-21-2005, 06:34 PM
hi all - i have a friend who will be in town visiting in a couple of weeks. she's originally from this area, so it will be nice to see her! she & her husband are in the process of adopting a baby from china. i thought it would be fun to throw her a little shower, since i doubt she would be back on the east coast before the adoption is finalized. i will check with her to see if that's something she's interested in.

i was wondering if you had any great ideas on what kind of shower. maybe i should make it a theme shower, just to make it easier almost for the guests to decide what gift would be best. one possibility is a library theme? or should i specify a certain clothing size on the invitation, or should i ask her to set up a registry? (also probably can't give her big gifts, since she will need to transport everything back home).

anyway, just wanted to see what your thoughts are.

thank you!

malie
06-21-2005, 11:16 PM
I think the library theme would be great. Clothing would be hard because until she gets a referral she really won't have an idea of what size her child may be. Books are easy to pack up. Depending on how many people you are going to invite you could assign people letters (you would have to decide whether you wanted the letter to be the author or the title, that would help prevent duplicates (or cut down on them).

It's very nice of you to want to give her a shower. hope you all have fun

holliam
06-22-2005, 12:13 PM
That's so kind of you!

I would definitely do something that isn't size-dependent like clothing, diapers, etc. The library idea is great, and there is a wonderful bookstore with great adoption-themed books: http://www.tapestrybooks.com

Holli

neeter
06-22-2005, 12:36 PM
Thanks for your responses! And I see now why clothing or diapers won't work. Glad the library idea will work! And thanks for the link -- they look like great books! :)

Thanks again!

malie
06-22-2005, 05:53 PM
Just remember that any children books will work. trying to get people to share their favorite author (if you don't assign them) or you can even assign people themes (bedtime stories, farm animals, counting books, books about babies..books about numbers or letters there are really a lot of ideas

The hard thing with adoption related books is that the gift everyone tends to give you so you can end up getting duplicates..if you stick with more classic type of children's books, it might be easier.

holliam
06-22-2005, 06:41 PM
I didn't get any adoption-themed books because no one knew where to find them!

Holli

neeter
06-22-2005, 06:45 PM
Thanks so much for all your ideas! BTW my friend really appreciated the thought, but thought it was too early to have a shower (9 more months). So possibly we'll have one a little later, or after she comes home. I will file all these suggestions for later -- they are fabulous! I also sent my friend the link to tapestrybooks and she really appreciated it! :)

Thanks!!

malie
06-23-2005, 01:46 PM
Boy I got tons...of course I have other family members who have adopted so that's probably one of the reasons I ended up with as many :) plus what I purchased myself