PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to take to the hospital for the baby?

ssummers2
12-15-2004, 11:38 AM
We are expecting our first child in January. What do I really need to take to the hospital for the baby? I'm planning to breastfeed - should I take a boppy? How many outfits do I need to pack? The obvious item is the car seat, but that's about as far as I have gotten on my list.

Also, what do I need to have at home for the first couple of weeks? How many diapers would you recommend purchasing at first?

Any other tips would be appreciated. I'm just trying to get everything ready in the last couple of weeks that I have so my hubby and I are not scambling immediately after the birth. We are going to be overwhelmed as it is.

Thanks,
Stephanie :-)

saschalicks
12-17-2004, 06:34 PM
OK so the hospital I was at actually ran out of t-shirts. Yes ran out. So, my in-laws had to run to Target to buy DS T-shirts. So I'd bring T-shirts and open bottom gowns for the hospital. As well as, socks, and hats. Buy hats for preemies unless you already know your baby is huge. My baby was 7lbs. 3 oz. and no newborn hat fit him b/c they were way too big.

For home have 2-3 packages of newborn size diapers. I found Huggies to be the best in that size. Buy lots of Huggies Newborn wipes. They are the easiest (instead of water and cotton pads like in the hospital), in the beginning your baby will poop A LOT, so lots of wipes. I think we went through 2 refill packets in 7 days.

HTH

Melanie
01-07-2005, 05:51 PM
You might want to do a search on this question on the 'baby bargains' section as I know it's been discussed many times.

Anyway, we were unprepared for our hospital birth (panned birthing center) so some things we had and used or I wished I'd had:

For Mom/Dad
-Nursing-accessible PJs or Gown (and remember to WEAR IT! That escaped me and it sat in my bag)
-Slippers (eew gross hospital floors!)
-Comb/Brush
-Shampoo, facewash (whatever you use in the shower basically) (yes, that's right, they had NO shampoo provided)
-Snacks! Depending on your hospital/MD you may be requested not to eat in labor (dumb if you ask me, you need your strength!) but you will wish you had healthy snacks at 3 am that night. Bottled Waters, too.
-Camera, extra batteries and/or film (digital is almost a must-have with babies)
-Extra comfortable clothing for Dad. You have no idea how long you will be at the hospital before baby is born, or after. My husband was able to, rather uncomfortably on a 5' couch, stay the night and glad to hvae the extra clothing I packed him. Just the basics...
-A boppy wouldn't hurt, I had a terrible in-hospital time learning to breastfeed, so I can't say if it would have helped or not.
-The phone numbers to Lactation Consultants YOU HAVE ALREADY SPOKEN TO that say they will come to the hospital. I didn't think I'd need this, it would have helped immensely! The hospital we were had only ONE on staff and she was on vacation. The other nurses were clueless! Stay strong, don't let them give artificial nipples to your baby NO MATTER WHAT! If they insist on giving him something (for some dumb reason) insist they do not use a nipple but a syringe to finger-feed.

For baby
-Tiny outfits, maybe even 1 preemie outfit. My son was 7 1/2 lbs and 20" and was just swimming in the newborn stuff. I would suggest at least 2 sleepers. Again, actually changing Ds into one escaped me so he spent the time until we left in the hospital shirt swaddled ina blanket - no booties even! Needless to say I was obviously so exhasted that none of this occurred to me.
-Oil (NOT BABY OIL - a natural one like olive or other recommended for baby massage) to rub on their little tush to keep the meconium poop from sticking. It's like tar.
-Nice blanket to make a backdrop for the newborn pictures...didn't occur to me, but I've seen it done since, instead of their basic paper backdrop.
-booties
-hat (one or two, you don't know what willf it, but bring the tiniest and the hospital will probably provide something).

At Home:
-Nursing Bras with support
-Breast Pads
-Vinegar (in case you get thrush as hospitals often give antibiotics to women in labor).
-Probiotics (again in case you get antibiotics
-Nursing foot stool
-Short shirts you can lift for nursing that oversized and comfortable for your PPD body, or ones that button down
-LOTS OF FOOD
-Several days worth of pre-washed baby clothing (stay away from Dreft...too strong of a scent for a new nose)
-IMHO, No formula if you plan on breastfeeding, I got gobs sent to me and weakened in the middle of the night. This caused several hundred dollars of lactation consultant fees and many many many days of pain for me.
-I would buy maybe 2 packs of newborn diapers & the next size up, different brands. You don't know what will fit your baby and the hospital will provide you with something. In my newborn diapering-days (over 3 years ago!) I lvoed the Target brand, and believe me, we really made the rounds trying to find ones that didn't cause plumber's crack. Next time we'll use cloth, though.
-Super Humongouse extra long with wings menstrual pads. For some reason that did not occur to me to have on hand.
-Peri bottle...they might give you one in the hospital, it's like a little squirt/drizzle bottle to fill with part warm water and part (peroxide?) for after you use the bathroom.

Good Luck & Congratulations!

sgeller1
11-11-2005, 08:48 AM
Hi there and congrats.

I had my baby last january in a snow storm, isnt that great. well i brought to the hospital...lip balm cause you cant really drink anything and your lips might get dry...socks, slippers, towels for the shower that ueventually you can take, they might not supply enough..toiletries, for the many trips to the bathroom. some refreshing wipes so you can feel a little refreshed and somewhat clean after all the labor, ya feel icky.
if you are planning to breastfeed, take pajamas instead of a night gown, easier to feed, just unbotton and viola..ya really don't need to pack that many outfits..maybe a lounging outfit,a bathrobe and somethng to go home in, something roomy and comfy. trust me you dont want anyting too tight and clingy.

good luck

sheri

mom to little e
12-22-2005, 04:32 PM
Another must have that I almost forgot this time --- the Baby Book! (this way you can get the foot prints!)

Congratulations on your upcoming birth!

Maryann

Ean 11/06/03
& Ean's Baby Sister due to arrive via c-section 01/04/06! - 13 days

Cynner
03-13-2006, 12:48 PM
My list is based on a Birthing Center birth, with a bag in case I end up in the Hospital:

Mom's Bag:
Labor music
Lip balm
2 old pair of cozy socks (Labor & Rest)
Eyeglass case
IDs
Eye mask
Notebook & Pen (never know what you might want to make a note of)
2 Nightgowns (Labor & Rest)
2 Pair old underwear
Big Clothes to leave in - including undies & nursing bra
Hair Tie, tight scrunchie

Hospital Suitcase:
3 Nightgowns
Big towel
Wash clothes
pair of cozy socks
Robe
Toilet paper
Slippers
3 pair old underwear
Peri Bottle
Birth announcements?

Big Trash Bag:
Pillows (With old pillow cases & wrapped in trash bags)
Comfort items (stuffed animal or whatever you want)

Dad's Bag:
Change of clothes
Camera w/ film or memory cards
Video Camera & Tapes?
Camera battery rechargers
Cel Phones & rechargers
Birth Plan
Insurance Cards & paperwork
Books to Read to Mom
Massage oil
Massage Bug (back rub tool) and/or tennis balls
Bathing Suit (so he can shower/jacuzzi with you without scaring the nurses :)
Rice compress bag
Watch w/ Second hand
Mind game/puzzle book

Toiletry Bag:
Deodorant
Toothpaste & Toothbrushes
Lotion
shampoo/conditioner
soap
Lip balm (extra won't hurt!)
Tissues
Hair Ties
Hair Brush
Sm. Mouthwash
Make up

Portable Cooler:
Fruit juice cubes
Fruit Juice (Cranberry (during labor) & Orange (after labor only!)
Fresh fruit - ready to eat
Vitamin Water
Snacks for Dad
Snacks for Mom after labor
Sparkling Cider (To Toast Birth)
Flexible Straws (so you don't have to sit up to drink)
Honey sticks (great energy boost)
Hard Candies

Baby's Bag (Diaper Bag):
Baby cap
Baby socks
2 Baby onesie w/ feet (newborn and 0-3mth)
Baby mittens
Baby emery board
Receiving Blanket
Baby birth book to put foot/hand prints & record info

For Car:
Car seat w/ bunting
Puddle pad (in case you leak on seat)
Blanket
Pillow
Soothing music

redhed100
01-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Wow, I can't believe you need that much stuff. When my husband sees this list, he will think I am nuts. The lists are great, I am 3 months pregnant with my first child and I am amazed at the stuff you need.