PDA

View Full Version : Lamaze?

buddyleebaby
05-01-2005, 08:16 PM
I'm expecting my first in about six weeks. Due to my husband's work schedule we skipped the childbirth class the hospital offered. Now my mom is insisting I can not go through labor without at least reading a book on Lamaze. I respect her opinion, she did have three kids after all, but I figure babies came into this world fine long before Lamaze. Seeking experienced opinions besides that of MY mommy...thanks!

kelly_austin
05-25-2005, 05:40 PM
We just finished the childbirth class our doctor's office held last weekend...very little of it was Lamaze, it was more about what to expect to see/feel before, during, and after the baby is born. I'll bet your local library has a video that's just as good as the one they showed us with 4 different deliveries on it.
Also, if you've been reading a lot about pregnancy, then you're probably pretty well prepared!! I didn't hear a whole lot that I hadn't already read, especially from the "What to Expect when You're Expecting" book...
Don't worry, I think you'll be ok without it but I haven't delivered my first yet! A friend who had a baby in March agrees though that all the info you can read/watch on your own.
Good Luck!

momofmany
05-31-2005, 11:08 PM
As a mom of four, I encourage you to be as educated as you can on the delivery of your baby. Talk to your health care provider about what you can do since you missed the class. Delivering a baby is hard work - maybe you'll be very lucky and have a quick labor, but in the likely event this doesn't happen, taking a class or reading a book will help you be prepared. Labor and delivery is like a marathon - lots of stages, lots of things that can happen, sometimes lots of decisions to be made at a time when you are emotinally charged, tired, and in alot of pain. It is so helpful to know what to expect, what techniques to use, what positions to try, etc. so that you can deliver the baby safely.

Good luck to you.

randomkid
06-01-2005, 08:49 PM
I agree with the previous answer. I went to Lamaze and thought it was not all that useful...until Labor Day! I also read about other approaches and incorporated aspects of each into my experience. I didn't really use any of the Lamaze breathing patterns, other than deep, relaxation breathing. However, the other info on position changes, frequently using the bathroom, relaxation techniques, etc. really came in handy! Check to see if there is a class offered on the weekend - I know I had that option, but preferred the weekly classes. If not, is there an education center at your hospital? Otherwise, I would read/watch videos about different approaches and choose what you like about each one, then review and practice. Being prepared can really make your experience much more positive!