PDA

View Full Version : Yeast rash: please help!

Gayletmomto4
01-11-2004, 10:49 PM
I posted this on another forum-hope I have found the right spot here.
My 8 week old ds has a bright red rash that I am fairly certain is yeast (he was recently on antibiotics). I am using a prescription cream called Nystatin, following with a generous layer of Desitin and changing him frequently (he is breastfed and poops often). I am also rinsing his wipes as they seem to hurt him.
The problem is that it doesn't seem to really be clearing up (it's been 3-4 days now). He is really uncomfortable and does that infant pain cry which is just breaking my heart.
Any tips or suggestions on how I can clear this up faster? My toddler has it too and we are at wits end!

TIA

Marissa
01-11-2004, 11:06 PM
Our ped suggested Clotrimazole (OTC) for our son's yeast infection. We only had to use it once before it cleared up, so I don't know if that was the cure.

Since yeast likes warm, wet areas, you might want to try using just dry tissues or soft cloths instead of wet wipes to clean him. Breastfed babies have very wet BMs, so it's easy to clean and won't affect him badly to just use dry tissue. It helped with our son.

Kieransmom
01-13-2004, 10:23 PM
I know this has nothing to do with the yeast rash, but are you using scented or unscented wipes? My son is 8 months old and I still can't use scented wipes or he becomes raw. If you're using unscented and that's not the problem I know when my son was just born we used, and I hope this is correct, Viva brand paper towels. They were almost like disposable cloth.
And since we just got over a pretty bad diaper rash and I know that yeast likes moisture, Gold Bond makes a great baby rash powder. (not the regular gold bond)We got ours at BabiesRUs. That was helpful too.
Michelle
Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03