PDA

View Full Version : Need solutions for cradle cap

ErinP
08-22-2004, 11:58 AM
My 3 month old son has severe cradle cap and I was just wondering if anyone has some special remedy for it? He's sooo fair and doesn't have any hair, so it's extremely noticeable. My ped said just to scrape of the dried scales with my fingernail, but they're not really dry yet. More like a slimy yellow color. Please let me know what has worked for you. Thanks
Erin

houseof3boys
08-22-2004, 12:50 PM
When Ryan had this, I would use a washcloth (not fingernails) every day with a little olive oil on it. It worked somewhat but what really helped was Selsun Blue shampoo. I just used a teeny bit but I would use that once a week with the washcloth and it kept the cradle cap at bay until it went away for good on its own.

There is also a Cradle Crap treatment made by Baby Naturals that some people use.

Good luck!

mamaturk
08-26-2004, 12:50 AM
DD did not have this, but I have a friend who (as yucky as it sounds) used mayo.. I think it helped a little bit.

proggoddess
08-28-2004, 11:13 AM
Try a fine-toothed comb or a soft nylon hairbrush. DD had some cradle cap and we'd do this after her bath. Gave us at least a day of flake-free scalp. :) I've read that using your fingernail may introduce bacteria, so as much as I'd like to pick at them, I try to resist and just satisfy myself with using the comb.

mom2aidan
12-06-2004, 12:37 PM
My DS's pediatrician recommended using anti-dandruff shampoo once a week. I used Neutrogena T Gel and it helped. I also used a fine-tooth comb for his hair everyday.

christie699
12-06-2004, 11:19 PM
try baby oil and a toothbrush - worked very well for me

nd93
12-09-2004, 02:05 PM
I second the selsun blue recommendation. My ped recommended that with baby #1, and I've used it with #2 and #3 as well. Just a tiny bit will do it, then I wash their head w/baby shampoo to get rid of the SB smell (it is a little strong). Start w/once a week, maybe go to twice if it doesn't seem like it's working at first. With baby #1 I tried the cooking oil route, but it would only get slightly better then get worse again. It would never completely clear up.

Good luck!

saschalicks
12-17-2004, 06:39 PM
Our ped told us to use Sebulex shampoo until it went away. We didn't have it as bad as you, but it worked wonders. It is a medicated shampoo for dandruff, sold at drugstores over the counter. I would try it. He said to use a hard nail brush while the shampoo was on his head to be sure to help loosen it. He also told us that if we didn't do that the cradle cap would get so bad that when we did it would bleed. So, if it bleeds (b/c it is worse than ours was) don't worry too much. HTH