PDA

View Full Version : Baby wipes...when is it okay to start using them

SpaceGal
01-31-2005, 11:13 PM
When is it okay to start using baby wipes? Or better yet when did you start using baby wipes on your newborm? I haven't had my baby yet but I was wondering about it.

I've heard some people say not for the first two weeks...and other told me not for the first 4 months. I was told if you do use them for your newborm you should rinse them out in water first. I do have a supply of washcloths to use for everything including wiping up after dirty diapers but how long should I use these for until I can switch to baby wipes. I also stocked up on baby wipes so I wasn't sure when it's okay to pack my diaper bag with baby wipes. I also did buy a bunch of Huggies newborn wipes are these better than regular wipes for newborns?

aa2mama
02-06-2005, 10:44 PM
It partly depends on how sensitive your newborns skin is. We didn't use wipes for the first month. We used cotton balls and moistened Viva paper towels in the meantime. When we switched to wipes, we liked the Huggies Natural Care ones. I'm not sure how they compare to the newborn wipes. Are they unscented and alcohol-free?

Also, when you have your baby's first ped visit, you can ask for their suggestions on how long to wait on the wipes.

LizaSantaAna
04-04-2005, 04:43 PM
I used baby wipes since day 1. And I used the Costco brand with no problems. I did (and to this day) still wipe his area dry using a soft towel after using the wipes. I also use Desitin at every diaper change. He's now 14.5 months and only had diaper rash twice.

Liza

kcgirl
07-15-2005, 08:31 PM
We started using them in the hospital. We've used both the Pampers and Huggies wipes (mostly Pampers wipes) and they are both good. We also use A&D ointment with each diaper change the the baby has NEVER had diaper rash.

boygirl3
07-16-2005, 01:37 AM
We used wipes right from the start...never had a problem. I am attaching a recipie for homemade wipes - great to use at home (saving the store bought for road trips). They work good, are soft and gentle. Hope this works as well for you....good luck.

½ roll White Bounty Paper Towels
1 ½ cups warm water
2T Baby Oil
2T Baby Wash
Mix ingredients together. Place ½ roll in a plastic container (with a lid- I suggest looking at a dollar store for a round tub - make sure it is big enough for 1/2 a roll of papertowels. I found the perfect size at my local store) and pour mixture over paper towels. Let sit 1 hour prior to using. NOTE: Cut roll of paper towel with a NON serrated knife.