PDA

View Full Version : Teething...Is 12 weeks too early?

oviedomomjan05
03-29-2005, 11:06 AM
My son was 12 weeks yesterday and is already teething! I didn't believe it when his caregiver mentioned that she needed me to provide him with orajel in his diaper bag because she saw two white bumps at the bottom of his mouth. Plus, he has started drooling uncontrollably, but has been doing that and sucking on his hands a lot in the last few weeks. I truly believed it because he has been cranky in a way that is different than usual and when I was trying to calm him last night, nothing worked. I put a little bit of orajel in his mouth and he fell asleep withing 2 minutes. He went from hysteria to sleep so quickly so I can't imagine that it isn't teething.

She mentioned that increased frequencey of bowel movements was a sign as well-ever heard of that? He was going every 2-3 days (that was lovely!) and now he has gone three times in 4 days.

Isn't this too early? Have any of your kids teethed this early? He has had SEVERE acid reflux which we have just gotten under control. I was hoping to have a little break before the teeting started! But, that is the joy of being a mom!

Any suggestions and/or advice are greatly welcomed...

oviedomomjan05

LizaSantaAna
04-04-2005, 04:38 PM
12 weeks is early but it's normal. I've heard other babies getting teeth that early. It's hereditary so if you or your husband got them early, then your kids will, too.

Children's Tylenol Infant Drops works well for the pain, too.

Liza

bailey336
09-27-2005, 09:22 AM
My son just turned 13 weeks on Monday & he has just started teething too. I was very surprised because I really wasn't expecting it this early!! As it turns out my mom told me I got my first tooth at 4 months & DH got his first at 3 1/2, so apparently the heredity thing holds some truth for us.
The tylenol drops help a lot when he gets really cranky - he has starts screaming uncontrollably and nothing seems to help until he gets the tylenol for relief. Not even the baby orajel makes a difference when he is like that.
I haven't noticed an increase in stool - in fact he has experienced almost the opposite & it has become more formed too. But, every baby is different!! He does have an insane amount of drool, though & is chewing on everything & constantly putting his hands/feet in his mouth.
He had acid reflux very bad too - and just like you I was so happy for the slight break between the very bad reflux (now, finally controlled with Previcid) and the teething. Oh well, I guess I should be thankful for the 2 weeks of happiness I got!! Good luck to you!!

HawkeyeGal
10-21-2005, 12:05 AM
I'm pretty sure the extra BM's are because of all the extra fluid (drool), but I could be wrong. MIL says that her toungest started teething at 6 weeks, but you can never be sure with her. I know that DS started at 5-1/2 months. Good luck - this is a hard and stressful time for the entire household!

kedss
10-25-2005, 04:51 PM
our DS was teething at one week and had reflux, we tried orajel, which he hated and tylenol drops(worked better). So, no, its not too early ;)

I hope things get better!