PDA

View Full Version : rash & congestion

cindybens
03-31-2005, 08:48 AM
My 7 week old has a rash which comes and goes. It's very red, small bumps all over her face & body. The rash on her face is very dry and feels leathery at times. She has also been congested for 3 weeks now. Each doctor in the peds office gives us difference advice...milk allergy, cold, eczema. I've tried using Cetaphil cleanser, Vannicream and sebulex shampoo for cradle cap. Any advice? I don't want to continue her on soy formula if I don't have to-I'm also freezing breast milk because I'm afraid I'll make worse with any sort of milk product. Also using saline drops but congestion...

proggoddess
04-08-2005, 08:27 PM
For us, it was the dairy in my diet that gave my DD rashes and eczema. So I went on a no-dairy, no-beef diet for 8 months, and started eating beef but still no dairy for another 2. Took about a week for her rashes and stuffy nose to clear up.

But the rashes didn't really tip us off. It was the blood in her stool that made us call the ped.

The allergist told us to give her a good soaking bath once a week, then put Vaseline or other barrier cream over her dry spots. She also told us to switch to a fragrance free baby wash (We use a shampoo for cradle cap) and to make sure we use a fragrance-free laundry detergent, extra rinse cycle and no fabric softener/dryer sheets. That has also helped with her eczema.

I hope it's a laundry thing for your little one and not a dairy thing. It's terribly hard to go without any dairy because it's in everything. Bread, TV dinners, everything!