PDA

View Full Version : eczema

megs4413
08-20-2005, 10:42 PM
My friend has a 4 month old suffering from SEVERE eczema does anyone have experience with treating it?

boygirl3
08-21-2005, 10:45 AM
My son had a mild case of eczema on the back of his ears and the Dr. prescribed a Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream USP 0.1%. My friends son has eczema really bad and it turns out it is related to food allergies - no peanuts, wheat, etc. Finally, we have seen a Dr. locally who analyizes your blood - shows your blood cells to you on a TV monitor that is connected to his telescope. Most Americans cannot properly digest all the processed foods we eat. He recommends some vitamins and antioxidants that help break down the processed foods (via enzymes) and get your blood "clean" and your immune system up and running good. He indicated that babies sometime need these enzymes to help them process foods - especially if they are fussy a lot, have eczema or a really bad diaper rash. My husband and I just started taking the vitamins/antioxidants so we are anxious to see the results. My parents have been taking them for two years - my dad has arthritis and this has helped him not have to take Dr. prescribed medicines and given him strength. We'll see.

proggoddess
09-23-2005, 11:58 AM
DD had mild eczema which went away as she got older. Partly due to us avoiding all foods she is intolerant of, and partly because we switched from Johnson & Johnson baby wash to a dye-free, fragrance-free baby wash.

We double-rinse all of DD's clothes and use dye-free, fragrance-free detergent and we don't use fabric softener.

The allergist gave us a prescription for Elidel and for 2% hydrocortisone. We used both for a few months, but she doesn't even need it anymore.

memie
10-30-2005, 01:18 PM
DS has a mild eczema once in a while. My ped prescribe OTC hydrocortizone 1%. I used aveeno and it worked well. I tried different soap but the one that I love the best is Cetaphil. It is really soft, moisturizing, and non-fragance. Like others said, I also use All free and clear to wash all my laundry, including DH and my cloths because we hold DS do much and he loves to buried his face into our shoulders.

Memie

firstmom1005
03-08-2006, 06:22 PM
My dd is also 4 month old and has mild eczema that flares up mainly behind her knees & under her armpits. I have some steroid cream I use sparingly when it gets bad, but I find that Eucerin cream & Aquaphor works the best for us. I lather her all over every morning when I'm dressing her & again at bedtime. I was using Cetaphil but stopped when I realized it contained nut oils - my hubby has allergies (& ezcema) and I'm just paranoid about applying nut oils to her skin for fear she may develop an allergy to tree nuts. As for baths, I use either Aveeno wash, Cetaphil or Mustela. I've tried figuring out what causes her flare-ups, but haven't figured it out yet...good luck to your friend.

manatee
04-13-2006, 06:12 PM
My DD gets a bath every other day during winter and just luke warm water, the cooler the better. We don't use soap, just Cetaphil. Lather DC up really well right after the bath to prevent moisture loss. I think Dr. Sear's website has some info. on eczema.

lmkirche
04-17-2006, 10:24 AM
My son has struggled with eczema since he was 1 month old. He has eczema on his face, chest, neck, and tummy. Pretty bad for someone so little. His father's side has a history of skin problems. So of course he inherited it. We bathe and wash hair as infrequently as possible and use Aquaphor a couple times a day. There is also an eczema body wash and cream by gentle naturals that you can just buy at walgreens.

www.gentlenaturals.com