PDA

View Full Version : 14-month-old has bald spots

Fairy
12-03-2005, 11:13 AM
Hoping someone out there will have some insight. My 14-month old son was born with a good head of hair, and it never fell out; it just kept growing. Last week I started noticing that he had an irregularly-shaped bald spot that did has some thatchy growth within, but most of his long, curly hair has fallen out. It's the back right of his head, so it's very noticeable when comparing to the long hair next to it. I chocked it up to him laying on that spot alot. Now today I've noticed another area that's the same on the right side of his head, away from the other spot. Now I'm worried. Thoughts?

ps -- NOT ringworm
pps -- NOT uniform circles or ovals, and nothing comes out when pulled

kristy
12-06-2005, 08:44 AM
My kids have never had bald spots (aside from when they were new babies) but they both had a return of cradle cap around this age. I took them to the doctor and, as I recall, the doctor wasn't too concerned. It did eventually clear up. I'd have a doctor look at him to rule out any problems. Your hairdresser is also a good person to ask. More than likely, he is just getting his big boy hair in.

Fairy
12-06-2005, 01:24 PM
Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it. He's never had cradle cap, and his scalp's not looking flakey, really, but it's possible I'm the flake, here, and haven't looked hard enough. Will check that out. He has his 15-month check up in 2 weeks, so I'll definitely mention this to the ped. Thank you!