PDA

View Full Version : Diaper rash prevention?

Aishe
04-03-2006, 01:15 PM
My six-week old daughter has already had two bouts of diaper rash and we are just barely keeping a third episode at bay. My doctor recommended using Desitin after every diaper change, but I've noticed that a lot of people use Aquaphor for the same purpose. Do people have strong preferences for one over the other? Is one more effective?

manatee
04-13-2006, 06:10 PM
Hi,

I use Boudreaux's Butte Paste. You can find it at Target, BRU and other places. I love it and my 8 month old DD has never had diaper rash. I think it's thicker than Desitin and has a pleasant scent. HTH.

hudsonam
04-20-2006, 01:38 PM
My son had horrible diaper rash almost constantly as a newborn, and the only thing that worked for us was Triple Paste, which you can get behind the pharmacy counter. It's pricey, but it goes a long way. We use it now at night to keep any future rashes at bay. I plan to buy a tube or tub (it comes in two sizes) for every one of my friends when they have children.

NJ Mom
04-23-2006, 10:31 AM
We used Desitin, and I also quickly learned not to drink orange juice! Something in the OJ was going in my milk & giving her incredible flaming rashes. Also, leaving baby's bottom naked to air whenever possible helps---I had 2 summer babies. Letting the skin stay dry & exposed to light kills germs. I let them lie on tummy on clean diaper for a while.

megs4413
05-01-2006, 11:28 PM
we alternate...i don't know why but that seems to work better. Make sure you are not coating the area too heavily as that will suffocate the skin and make the diaper rash worse. I had a friend that was just slathering her son up and couldn't understand why he still struggled with diaper rash....

we use the aveeno diaper rash cream, the butt paste, and the aquaphor. not all at the same time. we alternate between them and use the aquaphor on particularly irritated spots. The combo seems to do the trick.

crystal vowell
09-28-2006, 12:29 PM
my ped recomends the diaper rash ointment of your choice mine is equate diaper relief (generic desitin) only costs $1.50 then put vaseline on top of that.This usually gives you results by the next diaper change.