PDA

View Full Version : Yeast Infection

Expecting-girl
04-20-2006, 10:07 PM
I always have a hard time with the search function - so thought I'd ask my question.

DD has a yeast infection - her first one. Doc's office said to use Monistat and to check back if it's not better in a few days. Since this is my first time dealing with an infant yeast infection, are there any other recommendations for treatment? I've also noticed she has some sort of rash on her legs. Could this also be from the yeast infection? How many days before the rash should clear up?

Thanks for any help.

random
07-26-2006, 09:20 AM
My DD got a BAD yeast infection from antibiotics a few weeks ago. It was so bad that it was bleeding. During diaper changes we sort of hosed her down with squirt bottles instead of using wipes, then we patted her dry. The doctor presribed Nystatin which worked great (though we needed to use two tubes of it). It cleared up in maybe 10 days. Mostly I think it just takes time to heal. Also, maybe try some diaper-free time? I know it sounds messy, but I have heard it helps a lot. Don't worry, it maybe look terrible now, but it will clear up!

jgriffin
07-26-2006, 10:01 AM
E had a bad diaper rash (that we now know is from HFM), and I asked the advice nurse about it. She recommended a few things:
-Don't use wipes, just use plain water
-Air time is good (I still haven't figured out how to do this, though!)
-After the bottom is good and dry, apply lomitrin (which I believe is an anti-fungal/yeast cream)
-After the lomitrin, apply whichever diaper cream we had been using
-The rash should clear up in 3 days with this treatment
-She also recommended soaking in water with some amount of baking soda (I posted this in the thread below, can't remember the amount now)

You might consider calling your ped and describing the rash. I was convinced E just had a really bad diaper rash that wasn't going away, but after seeing the ped and having him diagnosed with HFM, we talked about how the rash was different from a diaper rash. She told me a diaper rash has more broad, patchy areas of red (could be raised). His rash was more like lots of little pimples.

There was a recent thread on Butts about diaper rash cream:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=51444&mode=full

Katigre
07-28-2006, 12:26 PM
I have always heard that for yeast diaper rash in babies to get Lotrimin cream (yes, the one for athletes foot) and apply that 2x//day until it clears up--and for a few days after to make sure its gone. Be careful to wash your hands well after diaper changes so you don't spread it--and wash anything that comes in contact with the rash on hot and dry in the sun or on hot to kill the yeast.