PDA

View Full Version : Fear of Water?

coachkath
12-20-2006, 03:14 PM
My DD started freaking out about a month and a half ago when it came time for her bath. Now as soon as she knows she's getting a bath she starts crying. It stopped briefly while I put her in the tub and ran the water in slowly, but even that doesn't do the trick now.
I noticed though that she also cries when she's in our bedroom and one of us is in the shower. The other day, I had to take a shower and DH wasn't home so I left her in the bedroom with Sesame St on and took a 1-minute shower. She crawled over to the tub and sat outside the shower and screamed bloody murder until I was done.
What's up with DD's phobia of water? (She likes to put her hands under the kitchen faucet though)
Anyone else experience this? Is it a phase? What can I do?
Thanks,
Kathy

kijip
01-07-2007, 05:01 PM
Toby was afraid of bath water from birth until he was about 3 years old. He was not as worried by sink water or swimming pools at all. But bath water scared the bejeazus out of him. honestly, my tactic was a lot of sponge baths and less frequent actual baths. We tried everything and nothing worked (toys, songs, bathing with him, different times of day, showers, burnt offerings (just kidding.) Then one day, boom! He did not mind anymore. Here's to your daugthers fear being shorter lived than that :)

kaycee14
01-09-2007, 02:54 PM
My DD isn't afraid of the water (yet) but I have discovered she is afraid of bubbles. :)
I put some Baby Bath in her tub before I filled it and she screamed and cried when I put her in. I tried adding it to the filled tub the next night... as she splashed, bubbles formed... she kept a wary eye on them and tried to push them away when they go too close.

Anyway, that got me wondering and I found that babies frequently develop a fear of baths at some point or another. The book suggested just using sponge baths when possible until the phase passes.

At least I'm forwarned for that problem. I hope your DD's phase passes quickly!

Kathy
Mommy to a wonderful baby girl
http://b1.lilypie.com/IX8zm7.png