PDA

View Full Version : Tricks for opening mouth to brush teeth?

s7714
01-13-2007, 02:23 AM
My 19 month old is refusing to open her mouth so I can brush her teeth. She won't copy us when we go "aahhhh" or anything, so I'm looking for tricks to get her to open her mouth while I brush!

My older DD was always fantastic at opening her mouth when we brushed her teeth, so this DD is throwing me a curve ball.

TIA for any tips!
Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

Momof3Labs
01-13-2007, 08:42 AM
Stand behind her, tilt her chin back and try it that way. Going at them from the front with a toothbrush often does result in a mouth clamped closed!

We had DS1 imitating some animal at some point to open wide. I don't remember which one, but maybe you can work off of that idea.

juliasmom05
01-13-2007, 12:44 PM
When I'm desperate, I have DD sit on my lap facing me, and then let her lay backwards so that her head is off my knee. This usually gets her to open her mouth. Keeping it open is another story :-(.

Marci

s7714
01-13-2007, 04:15 PM
I've tried standing behind her and tilting her head back and she still clamps shut. The only animals she likes to imitate so far are cats and dogs, but I'll give it a try tonight!

Thanks for the suggestion,
Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

DrSally
01-14-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm going to be watching this topic b/c I'd like tips too. One thing, if DS does start to cry about it, at least his mouth is open so I can get in there for a few swipes. Oh, my sister's dental hygenist suggested a spin brush for novelty.

s7714
01-26-2007, 12:54 AM
So I've been trying the animal noise thing, and it seems to be working most of the time. Although not because my DD is actually making the noises herself. For what ever reason she will keep her mouth open as long as I am making the noises and standing literally face to face within inches of each other, so whatever works I guess!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05