PDA

View Full Version : How do you wash a toddler's hair without getting shampoo in his eyes?

wencit
02-28-2007, 01:26 AM
This is a stupid question, I'm sure, but I just can't figure it out. The title says it all. When DS was an infant, it was easy, because I could hold his head over the tub with one hand (rested his body on my thigh) and use my other hand to wash his hair. Now he's too heavy to do that, but he's too young to understand, "Close your eyes." I've tried just pouring water over his head with a cup, but the water will run down his face, causing him to cry.

Thanks for helping out this clueless mama!

gina
02-28-2007, 11:23 AM
DD was really into lights. I would tell her to look at the light and when she looks up I pour the water over her head. Or maybe you could hang something pretty from the ceiling for him to look at. The only other option is to put a folded up washcloth over his forehead to soak up most of the water.

DD is in the big tub now so she is more preoccupied with scooting around the tub and playing than looking at the light so I am back to square one like you. The washcloth helps, but sometimes she moves and gets it all down her face anyway. She doesn't cry about it though. I guess she is getting used to it. But she has always seemed to like the water anyway. Just do the best you can.

Good luck.

ETA: The lights thing isn't working for us anymore, but "Look at Mommy" has been working a little better. I have found this useful more than just in the bath. I will tell her to look at mommy and she will usually stop what she is doing and look. She is still ending up with a lot of water in her face though b/c she only looks long enough for me to pour the water so some still runs off into her face.

Gina

DD 15 yr Jade
DD 12 mo - Happy First Birthday Olivia!

jgriffin
03-02-2007, 10:19 PM
I use a washcloth over and over and over again. It's wet, but not dripping wet, and I just wipe it from front to back until E's hair seems pretty soap free. I also try the "look at the lights" trick and use a cup of water, but just pour a little bit of water at a time, and keep my hand on his forehead.

I've seen ads for a visor-like device that the kid can wear that supposedly prevents water from going onto the face, but I don't know how well it works.

eta: it's not a stupid question! DH and I just figured out a system over time by trial and error, and lucked out on having a kid with very thin, fine hair. I'm sure DD will be totally different and we'll have to re-figure out all this stuff! :)

ekbecker1
07-31-2007, 04:50 PM
Ditto the wet washcloth idea. Once you can get them to look upwards on command, there's a product they sell at BRU that really works for us. It's like a pitcher with two compartments in it. On the side opposite the handle, it's made out of a pliable rubbery material that conforms to DD's forehead and keeps the water from running into her eyes. It cost about $5 and we've found it works very well.